Pathfinder 1E Sacred Geometry - Ladies and gentlemen, Pathfinder has jumped the shark

exile

First Post
I love Pathfinder, and I can't defend it, especially not in the setting of organized play. I am imagining sitting at a table being board to tears as a math-challenged kid tries to make the numbers work... or my fellow players staring angrily at me as I try to make the numbers work.

That sure is ... interesting.

It's clearly not intended as a "power" feat, but a "flavor" feat. Someone somewhere thinks sacred geometry is awesome in its own right, and wants a feat that reflects the concept more than a mere effectiveness increase.

In other words - unless this sounds like fun to you, they don't expect you to take the feat.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Um...

What's wrong with throwing a little numerology into a campaign if the players and GM dig it? The feat is from the Occult Mysteries book, in the Campaign Setting line, which means it isn't part of the "core" game. I happen to like fantasy numerological and astrological systems.

Um...

What's wrong with throwing a little numerology into a campaign if the players and GM dig it? The feat is from the Occult Mysteries book, in the Campaign Setting line, which means it isn't part of the "core" game. I happen to like fantasy numerological and astrological systems.
I like the flavour of numerology-magic too, but this feat seems to go a step further and demand algebra-on-the-fly. In a way, that's a bit like game rules asking for real blood sacrifices to cast necromancy spells; why does the player need to mimic the in-game action?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That sure is ... interesting.

It's clearly not intended as a "power" feat, but a "flavor" feat. Someone somewhere thinks sacred geometry is awesome in its own right, and wants a feat that reflects the concept more than a mere effectiveness increase.

In other words - unless this sounds like fun to you, they don't expect you to take the feat.
The problem is, it's a really powerful feat! Getting metamagic for free is a big deal, and there's no limitation on the metamagic feats you can do this with. The only limitation (buried in the text) is that you can't modify a spell to be a higher level than you can cast. But this is going to be THE metamagic feat to take for mid-level casters in PF, purely for the ability to jack your low level slots way, way up.

Kinak

First Post
This is one of those places where I realize different people look at the world completely differently.

For me, that's just how I look at numbers. Any string of three or more digits is going to get turned into a simple math puzzle. So my first thought on seeing objections was "Have you never looked at a digital clock? What year are you from?"

I'm sure plenty of people never do that, although it hadn't occured to me to wonder how many before. It's certainly how numerologists deals with numbers, which is assuredly why it's in Occult Mysteries.

None of which means this is great game design, but I'd enjoy a game more and slow down play less using this than summoning monsters. So you can blame me, I guess?

Cheers!
Kinak

Crothian

First Post
While I would never use this in a game RPGs need more things like this. It is clearly optional and a bit complex. It would be nice to see games that require a bit more education then elementary school. And let's face it when games just require subtraction people do complain it is too hard.

Remove ads