• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sacred Healing

Nefrast

First Post
borc killer said:
Sacred Healing. Does it stack?
It grants fast healing, right?

I would rule that fast healing doesn't stack and only the highest one is effective.

The general rule is that modifiers (although fast healing is no real modifier) do not stack if they come from the same source or have the same type. I think several fast healing effects can be seen as of the same 'type'.

geosapient

First Post
Abisashi said:
I concur.

Another example of a non-bonus that doesn't stack is damage reduction.

I'm pretty sure that damage reduction of the same type stacks. DR 5/- and DR 2/- would give you DR 7/-. If they didn't stack there would be no reason for a barbarian of high levels to take the feats Roll With It or Thick Skin(?).

I'm sure there are examples of this in more than one book, but the only one I can think of right now is Unearthed Arcana with the AC / DR variant.

IcyCool

First Post
geosapient said:
I'm pretty sure that damage reduction of the same type stacks. DR 5/- and DR 2/- would give you DR 7/-. If they didn't stack there would be no reason for a barbarian of high levels to take the feats Roll With It or Thick Skin(?).

I'm sure there are examples of this in more than one book, but the only one I can think of right now is Unearthed Arcana with the AC / DR variant.

DR doesn't stack. Unless the feats you mention specifically state that they stack, or that they improve your existing DR, then they won't stack.

Edit - I believe the rules for this are called out in the SRD section on Damage Reduction, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Nefrast

First Post
IcyCool said:
I believe the rules for this are called out in the SRD section on Damage Reduction, but I'm not sure.[/i]
Yes: "If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation."

geosapient

First Post
Nefrast said:
Yes: "If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation."

That is referring to different types of DR not stacking. DR / silver would stack with DR / silver but it wouldn't stack with DR / - or DR / adamantine.

Nefrast

First Post
geosapient said:
That is referring to different types of DR not stacking. DR / silver would stack with DR / silver but it wouldn't stack with DR / - or DR / adamantine.
I interpret this otherwise as in "If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source" not "If a creature has different types of damage reduction". DR/silver from 667 different spells, DR/silver from class ability, DR/silver from an other class ability, DR/silver from divine intervention, DR/silver from armor all don't stack because they come from different sources -- that's how I interpret damage reduction stacking rules.

EDIT:
Regarding the situation if you have all DR 5/silver, DR 6/piercing, and DR 4/- then the best one is always effective, i.e. when attacked by a silver club, then DR 6/piercing is effective, when attacked by a non-silver arrow then DR 5/silver is effective, when attacked by a silver arrow, then DR 4/- is effective.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads