Sadly going to be the first of many - estate sales with tons of stuff we nerds love

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
If you live in Cary NC or nearby, you could do worse than visit this estate sale this weekend...

Tons of early Dragon Mags, a Dieties and Demigods (don't know if it has Cthulhu/Melnibonean or not), Fiend Folio, AD&D Monster Manual, and so much more. And if you like vinyl music, wow. A couple photos copied and pasted so you can wow before diving in.

Anyway, the point in my title is that as our population of players gets older, and inevitably join our ancestors (wherever they go) - these types of sales will become more common...

1698885723984.png

1698885795901.png

MGibster

Legend
Damn, I kind of wish I'd gotten to know the dude. On a more serious note, I'll have to talk to my wife about what to do with all my gaming stuff once I've passed on to the great beyond. I don't have any relatives who will be interested in keeping it, so I don't know what's going to happen to the myriad of miniatures and gaming products I have.

Damn, I kind of wish I'd gotten to know the dude. On a more serious note, I'll have to talk to my wife about what to do with all my gaming stuff once I've passed on to the great beyond. I don't have any relatives who will be interested in keeping it, so I don't know what's going to happen to the myriad of miniatures and gaming products I have.
I've instructed my partner that they should keep what they want, let my friends keep what they want, and pulp the rest because dealing with the second-hand RPG market when you aren't an RPG fan yourself is NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.

A lot of RPG collectors expect everything to be graded on a collectible scale, whereas the used book market uses an entirely different scale (especially for softcovers) and you end up with SOMEONE being annoyed at the rating the book has ("that's not fair, that's poor!") because of this issue. There's so much nit-picking and "can I see a photo of page XX?" that it just isn't worth it.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
My kids are interested in my nerd stuff. I want to give the boys my stuff - need to update my will. And recommend a place for them to sell what they don't want

At one point, wasn't there was a web site where people could upload their RPG notes and homebrew campaign stuff? Or maybe that was a dream I had...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I've instructed my partner that they should keep what they want, let my friends keep what they want, and pulp the rest because dealing with the second-hand RPG market when you aren't an RPG fan yourself is NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.

A lot of RPG collectors expect everything to be graded on a collectible scale, whereas the used book market uses an entirely different scale (especially for softcovers) and you end up with SOMEONE being annoyed at the rating the book has ("that's not fair, that's poor!") because of this issue. There's so much nit-picking and "can I see a photo of page XX?" that it just isn't worth it.
I have found selling books to either Waynes Books or Noble Knight to be quite easy. I send them my list, and they send me an offer. Waynes doesn't pay the shipping, so their price is higher. Noble Knight pays for shipping and will even send me boxes, so their price is lower. Wayne's price at the end of the day is better if I can send everything media mail - probably because Wayne's in Arizona and I am in California.

Anyway, I'd tell my kids that, and also maybe it's worth it for me to keep a list along with conditions. I'd use amazon's condition metric, since it's starting to become a default for books...

Sacrosanct

Legend
About 2 weeks ago I went to an estate sale. Didn't get there fast enough for the D&D and RPG stuff, of which there was a lot, including 3rd printing of the Monster Manual, pristine Boot Hill boxed set, and dozens and dozens of other stuff. But that wasn't the crazy part. The crazy part? There were dozens of bookshelves with I'd guess thousands of books. I think every fantasy and sci-fi book written between 1960 and 1990 was there. I had no idea Andre Norton wrote so much. Every room in the house was lined with bookshelves and books. I wished I could have backed my truck up, but my partner said I couldn't get them because I have too many of my own... :/

These are just a brief few:

1698896266016.png

1698896316548.png

1698896342614.png

1698896381698.png

I have found selling books to either Waynes Books or Noble Knight to be quite easy. I send them my list, and they send me an offer. Waynes doesn't pay the shipping, so their price is higher. Noble Knight pays for shipping and will even send me boxes, so their price is lower. Wayne's price at the end of the day is better if I can send everything media mail - probably because Wayne's in Arizona and I am in California.

Yeah, I should probably have her send my stuff to Wayne. He's a great guy, we chat occasionally, and I buy from him regularly. Just have her bundle everything no one else claims up and ship it to him and accept whatever he offers.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've had hundreds and hundreds of RPG books from the 70s and 80s (including Dragon Magazine 1-200). A couple years ago I gave them all away to a family I knew were gamers and could appreciate them. I don't really have the room, and if I'm honest, I would never actually play them again, so...

Remove ads