• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SAGA Edition -- destinies, legacies an backgrounds

well IMHO When it comes to backgrounds, Destinies and Legacies. Apart from the fact that they are my favorite rules in SAGA, they are ALWAYS a good recommendation to any game.

Backgrounds - These are fun to deal with. Ive seen some people having fun matching their character to their planet of origin and others justifying their Force Tradition membership from here. In any case, this may seems like a little over the edge at low levels, but in the end, having an ability that gives you an alternate skill is not going to break the game. Maybe it tears some of the class specific signature skills but flexibility is more likely to attract someones' s attention in the table, away from those Force Using i-can-do everything characters. Recommendation, allow background along with Destinies. I know the book mentions something very specific here, but this is not to speculate on: backgrounds will add great narrative options to any character.

Destinies - I just cant tell you how important destinies are, and how many people is repelled with this concept. Personally, Ive found it challenging, and the greatest tool a GM has to take on his game's mysticism.

The Star Wars SAGA edition game system assumes that while using the force gives a significant edge, non-force users can also be truly heroic. In many Star Wars media, however, those who use the force are more akin to super heroes, being truly supernaturally powerful and epic! Considering this is a cooperative game after all and its fun is powered by the descriptions the players give of their characters actions, why not working so the narrative together--DPs are very helpful to achieve this narrative flow.

Destiny Points should be encouraged because they promote an option were the player actually affects the overall narrative (not as the game master does, but in a similar fashion), in a role playing game, your character and your stats do explicitly restrict what you can do, DPs merely resolve what happens when you act: just speeding up the game & giving fellow gamers a tool to affect the story, or the story's event--wich in the end is a favorite reason of playing for many people.

If you think of it, DPs actually give the player an awesome ability, they grant narrative control. DPs just challenge both the GM and PC. This opens up realization on new Roleplaying opportunities...the player may invoke his character's destiny to gain a small degree of narrative control, if the GM agrees that it's probably in line with their particular destiny and continue rewarding the player somehow and advancing the story in a conventional style.

Legacies - Just like backgrounds, Legacies add an important element to increase any character's "weight." However, there not many ways to choose your favorite "Legacy." So most of the time, you end up supposedly working with your GM to elaborate your actual Legacy.

As far as what Legacies can do to break your game, they wouldn't get farther than Destiny ruling-technology. What I mean is that you can expect just the same challenge to your group when it comes to the extend of Destiny Point usage and anyway, they are attached to the Destiny ruling. There is a game mechanic that is already in place when a character accomplishes a goal or performs a task that clearly moves him or her closer to fulfilling their destiny (GM's determination etc), embracing or neglecting your legacy works similarly. And helps any GM move towards the character's area of interest instead of otherwise.

Any feedback or opinion is appreciated.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads