Sage Advice 3/21/16 Exploding druids and antimagic field vs zombies and cure wounds

The answer to the druid and metal armor is excellent. Not so much the ruling itself, but the clear way it explains that classes have both story and game elements, and some classes have more story elements than others.

The answer to the druid and metal armor is excellent. Not so much the ruling itself, but the clear way it explains that classes have both story and game elements, and some classes have more story elements than others.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
I enjoyed the bit of history and the explanation of class/story elements, but it was essentially a well worded non-answer. I would have much preferred if he had just come out and said something to the effect of "a druid wearing metal armor is unable to shapeshift or cast spells", which is fitting and conducive to everything we've seen regarding D&D druids for the last 40 years.

spectacle

First Post
I enjoyed the bit of history and the explanation of class/story elements, but it was essentially a well worded non-answer. I would have much preferred if he had just come out and said something to the effect of "a druid wearing metal armor is unable to shapeshift or cast spells", which is fitting and conducive to everything we've seen regarding D&D druids for the last 40 years.
It would also add an entirely new rule to the game, and that's not what Sage Advice is. Sage advice are tips on how to interpret the existing rules, and the PHB still unfortunately says absolutely nothing about what happens if a Druid wears metal armor.

delericho

Legend
Actually, I think they should go the other way on the name length and call it Phandaal's Instantaneous Arcane Nullification.

Yes, and no.

For a specific setting, I'd quite enjoy having all the spells renamed in this style. For a generic game, though, where the same spell will crop up in Dark Sun, Dragonlance, and Eberron, it's problematic. Heck, even the existing 'named' spells are rather jarring - it makes no sense that casters on Athas would cite Bigby or Mordenkainen. (To say nothing of referencing Mike Nystul...)

Plus, it would be a bit of a pest having to translate from a 'flavourful' name back into a 'functional' name every time - the first time a Wizard cast Phandaal's Instantaneous Arcane Nullification would be cool, but the twentieth time, not so much. Dispel is pretty dull, it's true, but it has the great advantage of doing exactly what it says on the tin.

delericho

Legend
That's like saying it makes no sense for a german scientist to reference an australian colleague.

Hardly. A German scientist is likely in daily contact with his Australian colleague. Even before the internet, it was still a matter of getting on a plane to go visit.

An Athasian wizard is very likely not in contact with anyone on Oerth. And one of the original conceits of the Dark Sun setting (and why I chose that example specifically) is that Athas is isolated from the rest of the multiverse - a wizard from that setting can't simply get on a plane shift to Greyhawk to consult with Bigby.

Mirtek

Hero
Hardly. A German scientist is likely in daily contact with his Australian colleague. Even before the internet, it was still a matter of getting on a plane to go visit.

An Athasian wizard is very likely not in contact with anyone on Oerth. And one of the original conceits of the Dark Sun setting (and why I chose that example specifically) is that Athas is isolated from the rest of the multiverse - a wizard from that setting can't simply get on a plane shift to Greyhawk to consult with Bigby.
So the conclusion should be that this particular is simply unknown in arthas, as it's unlikely that such a specific spell would be invented twice. Or a traveler from outside brought that spell with him, in which case an athasian might not know what a bigby is, other than it has some spells named after it

Athas is not cut off completely, travel to and from is just very hard

Last edited by a moderator:

delericho

Legend
So the conclusion should be that this particular is simply unknown in arthas, as it's unlikely that such a specific spell would be invented twice.

Actually, yes, that's what they should have done - just as Athas has no gnomes and no orcs, it should have no "Bigby..." spells (and, conversely, should have spells named after other characters).

In fact, I'd go further - ideally, all the 'named' spells should be removed from the PHB to a setting-specific supplement.

Mirtek

Hero
In fact, I'd go further - ideally, all the 'named' spells should be removed from the PHB to a setting-specific supplement.
Disagree here. If they want D&D as a Brand it needs it's soul firmly rooted in it's own mythology.

Otherwise you just have a soulless generic box of building stones like GURPS

And since athas can in fact be reached from the outside, getting out is when it becomes a real pain, it's logical that widespread spells reached there's. Among oerth, krynn and toril, where the archmages have tea together every so offen it's even fast er for magic to spread

Remove ads

Remove ads