Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Group Portrait 1 of ?

Well, I think this is as good a time as any to get some info for a large group illustration I've been planning on for some time.

If PC, KidChtulhu, or any of the other players (or other readers, for that matter) would be so kind as to help me out with a few specifics. There are a few things that A) I've forgotten or B) never really were explained/detailed (I'm much more prone to think it "A" ;)

Just fill in for me, wherever you see a question mark.

I'll start with the ones I have a very clear image of and move on with my questions. Of course, if anything that *I* am clearly picturing that the players don't think is accurate, let me know!

-----------------------------------------------------

Ernie: halfling/male; Hair/Eyes: brown//brown; Armor: plate; Signature items: Flying shield, the Dancing Sword, (and now, as in-hand weapon) Tava's Fury. Ernie is "pleasantly plump" with an almost constant bright smile and innocent purity gleaming from large childlike eyes. Hairy is wavy and hangs, neatly (of course), to the shoulders. I always picture, for some reason, a crimson cloak...but given the Yondallan colors, I'm guessing a forest green or wheat-ish gold might be more appropriate.

Morningstar: human/female; Hair/Eyes: very pale blond/ -?- ; Armor: chain (?), I envision no shield since she is such a heavy/always casting; In hand weapon: flail ("morningstar"). Morningstar has been described (on numerous occasions) as "gangley" or "lanky". She is tall (i.e. as tall as the human men, in my mind's eye), pale with features not UNattractive, but not eye-catching either. Her hair does not hang much past her shoulders. I see her with flail in-hand. She's in a long tabbard over her chain (?) armor. The tabbard is trimmed in inverted black triangles and, of course, upon her chest the black and white triangles/diamond holy symbol given to her by Abernathy. (I know her robes/tunic have been described, quite clearly, as black, but I always see her in more of a very very dark purple or maybe a midnight blue...)

Dranko: 1/2 orc/male: Hair/Eyes: black (?)/ -?-; Armor: -?- (I presume he wears something beneath the robes and magic items); In-hand weapon: whip; Signature items: magic whip, robe of blending, invisibility sash. Dranko's skin is a greyish tint (?). His build is toned but nimble. I have no conception of what his hair style is. He will most likely be drawn with a cigar clenched in his teeth with an "I'm awesome" smirk/look on his face.

Flicker: halfling/male: Hair/Eyes: -?- no clue, assuming brown/brown; Armor: -?- assuming leather; In-hand weapon: -?- (a dagger or short sword?); Signature items: the only thing that springs to mind as a "signature" for Flicker is his ring of blinking...which I think he no longer has, (ring of evasion now?) but had for a long time and used fairly frequently.
Basically, I just see Flicker as an average halfling rogue. More toned and scrappy looking than Ernie, perhaps not even in armor but the halfling breeches, billowy shirt, waistcoat combo. Whatever he's wearing of wielding, he will have an endearingly impish/mischievous yet somehow "innocent" look.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Group Portrait 2 of ?

The mages...

Aravis: human/male: Hair/Eyes: blond (?)/ -?-/beard; Armor: none; Signature items: staff of earth & stone, hat of (?) stuff, robes of the magi. Familiar: Pewter, grey tabby cat. Aravis has a neatly trimmed beard and generally "well put together" appearance (a god of cats would be somewhat naturally particular about their appearance, wouldn't he?). I am picturing his "robes" as more of a smart tunic/cloak combo (color suggestions?), the staff strapped to his back, scrolls, wands and pouches nicely organized around his waist. My biggest question with Aravis is the hat. Is it, like, a big brimmed Ganldalfian-type of floppy pointy hat? For some reason I think it was described that way once...confirmation anyone?

Grey Wolf: Is Grey Wolf human or half-elvin?/male; Hair/Eyes: -?-/-?-; Armor: -?- I know he wears some but not what kind (chain?) and I believe he has a shield, but like Morningstar I can't imagine him ever using it since he's casting all of the time; In-hand weapon/Signature items: Bostock (other items/weapons carried?). Familiar: Edgar, a monkey from the Kivian jungle. (What species would that look like, for my reference?) I picture Grey Wolf with a hooded cloak, almost always up to shadow his face/eyes. Armor, cloak and clothing are generally dark, mostly greys or black. It might be cheesy, but I often picture that hood as being an actual grey wolf head/pelt. Does Grey Wolf wear/have any facial hair. I find it easy to see a dark goatee...but don't think that's ever been described before. I see Grey Wolf peering out from under his hood, a generally pessimistic look on his face while magical energy crackles up and down Bostock.

Kibi: dwarf/male: Hair/Eye: brown-?-/brown-?-/matching beard, of course (Does the beard have any braiding or other decoration?); Armor: none. Signature Items: invisibility sash, headband of intellect, the diplomacy cloak (I know he has some kind of magic bracers or robes, but can't think of what). Do I recall Kibi having an ioun stone(s)? Familiar: SCREE! "shifting pile o' rocks" earth elemental with sapphire eyes. (We heart Scree :) I see Kibi, very simply dressed in (probably mostly browns) simple shirt/jerkin/breeches and heavily adorned with magic items of all types. Rings, bracers, wands and scrolls on his belts and bandoliers. Wild/Earth magic sparking across/among/between his hands.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Group Portrait 3 of 3, I guess.

The really sketchy ones...

Kay: half-elf (right?)/female; Hair/Eyes: -?-/-?-; Armor: -?- (I always pictured studded leather); In-hand Weapon: war hammer, Also armed with a bow and the wood-cutting sword. Signature items: the wood cutting sword aaaaaand...??? Special: the air spirit O'lyanna (sp?). I envision Kay as flying, her Yrimpa blowing about her. I'm thinking slightly longer than shoulder length hair...light brown/dark blond in color? It seemed from my reading, that she favored the war hammer for battle, but was that entirely accurate or did she use some other weapon(s) more often?

One Certain Step: human (Kivian)/male; Hair/Eyes: -?-/-?- (assuming black for both); Armor: plate; In hand Weapon: two-handed sword. Now the BIG question for Step, what do Kivian humans LOOK like?! I mean, their culture and cities are beautifully descirbed and I get/got a definite Asian vibe, but I can't tell/decide if Kivian humans actually appear Asian. In other words, should Step's armor be samurai-esque? That's the big question. However he looks, naturally, he will appear as a model of righteous fury emblazoned with symbols of the sun and rays of light of his goddess.

Snokas: half-orc/male: Hair/Eyes: presumed black; Armor: -?-; In hand-weapon: dual picks. Not a whole lot else to do there. Just need his armor type.

Yoba: I'd REEEEALLY like to include Yoba if there's room (just to offset some of the sausage-fest). Halfling female in plate armor covered with a dark-green, gold-trimmed tabbard set with Yondalla's cornucopia symbol with a magic longsword she weilds two-handed. Just need a hair color and style and eye color.

Also (if there's room) perhaps very small looking out from the background, Tor and Mrs. Horn...maybe even Abernathy himself. ;)

Anyone or anything else that should be noted/included? Feel free to let me know. I'm really looking forward to this and want to make sure not to forget anything/anyone substantial.

Cheers.
--Steel Dragons

Everett

First Post
Aravis: human/male: Hair/Eyes: blond (?)/ -?-/beard; Armor: none; Signature items: staff of earth & stone, hat of (?) stuff, robes of the magi. Familiar: Pewter, grey tabby cat. Aravis has a neatly trimmed beard and generally "well put together" appearance (a god of cats would be somewhat naturally particular about their appearance, wouldn't he?). I am picturing his "robes" as more of a smart tunic/cloak combo (color suggestions?), the staff strapped to his back, scrolls, wands and pouches nicely organized around his waist. My biggest question with Aravis is the hat. Is it, like, a big brimmed Ganldalfian-type of floppy pointy hat? For some reason I think it was described that way once...confirmation anyone?

Can't recall Aravis' hat having ever been mentioned, and can't picture him with a Gandalfian hat, any more than I can see him shouting "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!" He has a rather quiet, intellectual demeanor, I think.

Everything else sounds good to me.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Thanks Everett. I have trouble picturing it also. lol. In fact, it wasn't til I went back and read Parts One and Two in StevenAC's PDFs that I ever saw a hat mentioned.

But it was. Once when dealing with a demon lord in the Slices in Het Branoi- Aravis pulls something out of his hat (a globe of mercury I think it was?) to offer to the demon in exchange for undoing some torment on Dranko. (this is where I think it was described as "floppy brimmed").

And again (or was it "prior to"?)...when attempting to pass through the gartine arch in Delfir. The Black Circle mage in charge of their capture on the alternate earth shouts to his archers to fire at "the one in the hat!" which was, I believe, indicating Aravis.

Yes, my mind recalls these sorts of things/images/scenes...I'm a visual kinda person. So scary, I know.

But like you said...hard to picture...especially if it's Gandalfesque. If I can't find/get confirmation, I may just scrap it...which then leaves the question...

What's Aravis' hair look like? haha.

Also for Aravis, I'm on the fence as to include the starfield eyes of the Crosser's Maze ...I know he doesn't have it anymore but he had it for a while...and I daresay it was sliiiightly, ya know, imperative to the plot/party's successes.

--SD

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wow! We're playing tonight for about the first time in two months, and then playing again for an extended game (whoo hoo!) this Sunday. Illness, babies, a glorious glorious Otherworld and travel have wreaked havoc with our schedule.

I'll ask everyone these questions tonight, and report back. Thank you!

Everett

First Post
I think I recall those instances, as you mention them. If Aravis' player wants the hat, well, go to then, but even if it was described as "floppy-brimmed", it just doesn't work for me. There's nothing Gandalfian about Aravis. His familiar is a tabby cat who calls him "boss". Come on.

This thread also points to the fact that Gandalf and the world he lives is/are allegories, profoundly religious in nature (Catholic, according to C.S. Lewis and Orson Scott Card.) The game's universe is a custom, homebrewed pantheon and mythos.

And of COURSE use the starfield eyes: if they aren't the very definition of awesomeness, what is?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Great game last night. First time we've played in two months, and we passed a campaign milestone that marks the approach of the end. We've crossed Yulan's Barrier into Abernia's Underdark, and there's no going back. Ever. And the surprise that our enemies have left for us make me hate Meledien even more, which I didn't think possible.

I wasn't able to get everyone's full description, so I'll be emailing everyone and getting it straight from the horse's mouth. I'll then post it here. I'll note that as a Shield of Ell, Morningstar definitely has a shield. She looks a lot like Belinda McClory (Switch from The Matrix) - almost albino, with pale watery blue eyes.

In the movie, Dranko would be played by an uglier and scarred Adam Baldwin. He has one big scar starting at his forehead and travelling down the left side of his face, right over the eye. He wears an eyepatch over the left eye (mostly because chicks dig the eyepatch, and it lets him see invisible, not because he's blind.) He was bald for a while but currently has tousled black hair and a black van dyke beard. Eyes are black. Skin color is more of a light brown than a gray. About 6' tall, toned (not super-muscular) and nimble.

His robe of blending lets his clothing look like whatever he wants, which is usually a rich mix of scarlet and black, sort of as if a assassin with more money than sense decided to moonlight as a pimp. The mithral chainmail probably peeks through. The whip, and the pouch (Heward's Haversack) on his hip, are the only needed iconic items.

> He will most likely be drawn with a cigar clenched in his teeth with an "I'm awesome" smirk/look on his face.

Nailed it! Dranko's also a fan of ostentatious wealth. Not needed for any picture, but last session he just spent virtually every gold piece he had on a Helm of Brilliance. Because of its awesome power, you ask? Nah. It's gloriously shiny. We'll see how long it is before he loses it. :D

Remove ads