• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This game was hilarious, and my goodness does Sagiro do a fantastic Mad Captain Lyle. Rolling eyes, tilted head, pirate accent, everything you could want. I am not exaggerating when I say that we chose this method *solely* because we were having so much fun roleplaying with the NPC.

That said, you can bet Dranko was wearing his ring of water elemental command. You know, just in case. Ahem.

Tamlyn

Explorer
I've been re-reading StevenAC's awesome pdf compilation of the SH (thanks again, BTW) and was impressed (again) by Sagiro's incredible attention to detail. Specifically, when the party had the null shadow cauldron stolen by "Praska" and were tracking her down. They find her at the underground location where the Black Circle, presumably led by Mokad, had been active YEARS before but hadn't been involved in the story for probably 10+ years in real life. But makes total sense as a hiding place in-game.

Add to that, the party discover that "Praska" was reviewing Black Circle plans to free the emperor and "she" still feels that Mokad's plan was the best idea out there. This was something I missed the first time around, but I think is completely awesome knowing what I do now.

I just wanted to pile further kudos on Sagiro for his attention to detail. The story hour is just as entertaining, if not more so, the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th (or more) time through.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us!

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
I've been re-reading StevenAC's awesome pdf compilation of the SH (thanks again, BTW) and was impressed (again) by Sagiro's incredible attention to detail. Specifically, when the party had the null shadow cauldron stolen by "Praska" and were tracking her down. They find her at the underground location where the Black Circle, presumably led by Mokad, had been active YEARS before but hadn't been involved in the story for probably 10+ years in real life. But makes total sense as a hiding place in-game.

Add to that, the party discover that "Praska" was reviewing Black Circle plans to free the emperor and "she" still feels that Mokad's plan was the best idea out there. This was something I missed the first time around, but I think is completely awesome knowing what I do now.

I just wanted to pile further kudos on Sagiro for his attention to detail. The story hour is just as entertaining, if not more so, the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th (or more) time through.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us!

Yep, gotta agree. I'm on my 3rd reading of the thousand page (give or take) pdf of this story hour, and it's totally great! :)

However...

I realize it was like nine years ago, but I just finished re-reading the session in which the second Parthol Runecarver simulacrum was fought by the PCs in the street outside the Greenhouse. The thing that's bugging me is that I couldn't understand why the PCs couldn't see the sim with See Invisibility. Did I miss something? Was he using something other than Improved Invisibility?

Anyway, just wanted to ask while it was fresh on my mind. Back to reading! :D

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I realize it was like nine years ago, but I just finished re-reading the session in which the second Parthol Runecarver simulacrum was fought by the PCs in the street outside the Greenhouse. The thing that's bugging me is that I couldn't understand why the PCs couldn't see the sim with See Invisibility. Did I miss something? Was he using something other than Improved Invisibility?
It was a long time ago! Without going back to check, I'd guess one of three things: (a) Parthol's simulacrum was out of range (b) rules gaffe (c) we didn't think to use the spell (less likely, since I think Dranko had it in his eye patch by then). I'll check when I have a chance.

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
It was a long time ago! Without going back to check, I'd guess one of three things: (a) Parthol's simulacrum was out of range (b) rules gaffe (c) we didn't think to use the spell (less likely, since I think Dranko had it in his eye patch by then). I'll check when I have a chance.

Thanks Piratecat. :) In the grand scheme of things it doesn't REALLY matter, it was just the timing of my re-reading of the old material along with this thread that prompted me to write. FWIW, the story text does explicitly mention that Grey Wolf cast See Invisibility and went to the various windows of the Greenhouse trying to spot the simulacrum.

It could have been Superior Invisibility, yes?

--Penn

Hey Penn, doubtful since the date of the run was 2002, and to the best of my knowledge Superior Invisibility was a 3.5 spell. But then, my knowledge is extremely limited. ;)

Hey, happy Friday everyone! :)

Remove ads