• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
They were. In other news, I've become aware that Dranko shows remarkable lambition. (Lambition: an obselete word meaning "the act of licking or lapping." Damn, I love language.)

Allow me to belatedly express my congratulations, as well, on the conclusion of a truly magnificent campaign.

(I'll save my long-winded gushing for after the final update is posted.)

= = =

In other news: Kazon, the spider god? Heh heh.
New drinking game: take a shot every time Sagiro uses a Star Control 2 reference. ;)

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
First, to steeldragons, Joshua Randall and others for your kind words about the campaign. And I'm especially pleased when someone gets my obscure Star Control II references. :)

Here's a short update where little happens but much is revealed.

Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 337
History and Foreshadowing

Realizing that Viersk is facing perhaps an eternity of solitude in Naslund, the Company makes him a gift of one of their oldest magic items: the Figurine of Wondrous Power that transforms into Thriss the snake. Thriss seems content when he learns of this new arrangement, and Viersk is touched by the gesture.

“In return,” says Vierks, “I will teach you some history, if you desire it. And I will give you a gift, and you will take others before you leave. How much do you know of what you have seen?”

“Very little,” Aravis admits. “We can’t even read half of the names above the entrances to the tombs.”

“Ah,” says Viersk, nodding. “The second names, the ones you cannot read, are the Gods’ true names. Every God has a true name that comes into existence at the moment of its birth. To know a God’s true name would be to have power over it. But the names are not known, even to the Gods themselves, until the moment that they die. Then those names are written, for the first and only time, above their tombs.”

“Who was Nemmin?” Ernie asks.

“Nemmin was one of Yondalla’s great semi-divine champions, who perished in the great wars.”

Aravis nods. “And so it is Nemmin’s true name that I cannot read.”

“Yes,” says Viersk. “You yourself have a true name, Aravis, but it cannot be known, and will not, until the day of your own death. Then, it will be written here.”

“I hope that will be a long time from now,” says Aravis.

“So much for stuffing you and storing you in the Greenhouse,” says Dranko.

“What did you mean by the ‘great wars?’” Kibi asks.

Viersk turns to the dwarf. “Are you aware that the Traveling Gods fled to this world from the great Adversary? When they arrived, they landed upon a continent called Kivia. And as is often the case in these matters, there was a… misunderstanding. The Kivian Gods believed it an invasion, and there was war. Many Gods, along with their champions and servants, were slain, before the Eldest God, Pikon, intervened.”

Many in the Company are startled by this. Viersk continues. “There were Gods of Charagan before the Travelers came, and Pikon is the only one of those to remain. The rest of them, of those who made the Skysteel Archways, fled thousands of years before. No one knows why, save the Gods themselves. But Pikon remained, and Pikon agreed to take the Gods of Darvin – the world that the Adversary destroyed – as refugees, and shared Charagan with them. When the original Goddess of Death, Pikon’s sister, fled, she placed Drosh in charge of Naslund. Now that Drosh is gone, Naslund is without patronage.”

Morningstar frowns. “Having played something of a role in that, in Drosh’s flight, is there anything we can do to help?”

“As one of you said, perhaps you can petition Myr Madar to take a more active role. I doubt he appreciates the importance of this place, in the great scheme of things.”

“And what is the importance of this place?” asks Dranko.

Viersk looks surprised at the question. “Is it not self-evident? This is where Gods come when they are no longer. If they could not come here, where would they be? Left out in the world of mortals? No good would come of that, I assure you.”

“I believe it,” says Ernie. “We’ve seen what can happen when a God’s essence falls into the wrong hands.”

“Yes,” says Viersk. “It would be a pity if that were to become commonplace.”

“So how long did the war go on, between the Gods?” Dranko asks.

“I don’t know that time had much meaning then. From your point of view, perhaps a blink of an eye. For them, maybe a decade or more, as you would see it. They do not experience the world the way you and I do.”

Morningstar thinks she understands. “And Aurelia, and Nemmin, they died in that war?”

“Yes, I’m afraid they did, along with countless others.”

“What about Yondalla?” asks Kibi. “She wasn’t a Traveler.”

“The Gods of other races have always occupied their own niches in the cosmos, and they make their own choices. Yondalla sent her champions to fight alongside the Kivian Gods. It was her home, too, that was being invaded. But since then, there has been a lasting peace.”

Dranko continues his questions. “Which Gods were killed in the war?

“You have seen them,’ says Viersk. “Leantha was the Kivian Goddess of Knowledge. Caba was the Darvin God of Fire, slain by Nifi. Aranod was the Darvin God of the Heavens. Kazon, who both slew and was slain by Nemmin and Aurelia, was the Kivian God of Spiders. They are the Gods who perished.”

“And why are Aurelia and Nemmin buried across from one another?” asks Kibi.

Viersk turns to regard Ernie and Morningstar. “Because of you.”

Ernie gapes. “Because it would be convenient for Morningstar and I to find them together?”

“Yes. And they are waiting for you.”

Morningstar shakes her head. “But we tried to go to them, and we couldn’t.”

“That it because you didn’t have this.” Viersk produces from the folds of his robe a black disk on a chain, a disk with the symbol of Drosh upon it. “It is the final Ward. The one that Tarsos and Meledien did not take. If you are to find them and stop them, you may find it necessary.”

“Should… should we return it when we’re done?” Ernie stammers.

“No,” says Viersk. “I don’t know what is to become of it, or how exactly you will make use of it. But I do know that with it, you will be able to visit the final resting places of Nemmin and Aurelia. Take it. I believe it was meant to be yours. With it, there is hope, and hope is always better than its absence. Take care of it, and do not lose it, or let it fall into the wrong hands. And perhaps you should think upon why your enemies wanted them so much. I don’t think it was only to plunder the tombs of Caba and Leantha. Those were targets of opportunity.”

Ernie peers back up the hallway toward where the Tomb of Nemmin now awaits. “Maybe, if Nemmin and Aurelia killed Kazon, they were buried with something capable of killing a God.”

“No,” says Viersk, and Ernie’s face falls. “But you may find you need such a thing, before the end.”

“Any idea where we can find one?” Ernie asks.

“No. I’m sorry.”

Dranko still thinks there’s something too pat about all of this. “Were Nemmin and Aurelia moved here, just to make our lives easier?”

“No,” says Viersk with a smile. “They have always been here. The Gods have great foresight, Dranko Blackhope.” He peers at Dranko closely, and his smile fades. “No. You are Dranko Brightmirror. And also… hm. You have many names; they are all obscured. Why is that?”

“Because he reinvents himself,” says Ernie. “He decides his own true name.”

“There’s a monstrosity from the Far Realms affecting what people remember about me,” adds Dranko with a grimace. “But I’m told it may come to great use someday.”

“I hope so,” says Viersk. “Though my guess is that it will destroy you.”

“Maybe,” says Dranko. “Maybe. But if I’m lucky, it’ll be later rather than sooner.”

Viersk now turns to Aravis. “You have a great curiosity, Aravis. Greater than most. And a source of knowledge greater than most, don’t you?”

For a moment Aravis can’t think of what Viersk means, but the others remind him of his fragment of personality adrift in the Crosser’s Maze. He laughs. “I do sometimes forget things. Like the time I forgot about magic missile when we fought the Blood Fox.”

“But now,” says Viersk, “should you meet another such beast, you will be prepared.”

Ernie laughs. “I, on the other hand, will be running and screaming like a girl.”

Viersk turns on Ernie and speaks with a chiding tone. “No, you won’t. You do not run away from anything, Ernest. It is your great strength. But are you prepared for great change, Ernest? Personal change?”

“I am prepared for anything Yondalla wills for me.”

Viersk smiles. “You will need to give something up, both physical and not. And you will gain something, both physical and not. Yondalla will guide you.

“It is your lot to see and experience things that no other mortals have, or will,” Viersk continues. “You have traveled to the past. You have traveled to worlds that few have encountered, and a world that never was. You will see things that none alive on Abernia have seen. And you will achieve great things, together, or you will perish. You, Kibi, will benefit especially from the full complement of your Company.”

“You can give me any compliments you’d like,” says Kibi.

Viersk looks puzzled. “I am unused to humor,” he says. “But whether or not you consider this a compliment, I will remind you that you are still the Opener.”

“Oh,’ says Kibi. “Do I have to do it again?”

“Yes. I cannot see any details of your path, as I have not been to Abernia. But I can see that you have a great destiny not yet fulfilled.”

“Am I still the Slayer?” asks Morningstar.

“Yes, but do not be sad. And your moment may be upon you sooner than you think.”

“And does Grey Wolf have a destiny?” asks Morningstar.

Grey Wolf chuckles. “I have a cranky sword. Does that count?”

“You should listen to Bostock more often,” says Viersk.

“Can he kill a God?”

“No. But that will not stop him from trying. And listen… you all have a destiny, Morningstar of Ell, a destiny you may or may not meet. I cannot see your success or failure, because the future is written on water. Do not rely upon your destiny; it will not save you. But you have met it admirably thus far. Alander chose well.”

“Is Alander here?” asks Ernie. “Or Abernathy?”

“No, they are not."

“Abernathy’s kicking back on the Endless Shore,” Dranko adds.

“He is not of a kind that ends up here, great though he was. But perhaps his part of the story is not finished, either.”

Viersk grows quiet for a moment, almost as if he’s listening to something. “You are all unusually trustworthy,” he then says. “Walk the Hall of Leantha, Aravis. I cannot guarantee what will happen, but perhaps you will have a question answered in some fashion. Aravis, go alone, for your thirst for knowledge is… unusual. And you, Morningstar and Ernie, take what the heroes offer to you. You’ll need all the help you can get.”

“We seldom turn down help,” says Ernie.

“I know,” says Viersk. “I know everything about you. And I am pleased.”

“Wait,” says Dranko. “Meledien and Tarsos were here. Could you see into their hearts, and , and know everything about them, like you do about us?”

“No. I wasn’t here. I was only born after their departure.”

Almost as an afterthought, Morningstar adds, “And what about Farazil?”

Viersk smiles. “He’s right there.”

And Viersk points directly at Flicker.

…to be continued…

Last edited:

Remove ads