• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Siuis

Explorer
Oh wow, I'd really like that too!

Any chance there could be a kickstarter campaign for that? :)

To contrast Everett's infectious optimism, I would say; probably not. That runs remarkably close to Sagiro's own publishing a D&D novel, which means it may be in a sticky space as far as licensing and such is concerned.

That said, the idea is intriguing and with Wverett's link already there for the clicking, I will totally investigate it. Although, getting the illustrations done would have been probably a decade-long project in between rejiggering the PDFs to be better suited to a book format...

Man. Now I have ideas! Darn you, Everett! :)

Last edited:

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
While it's obviously flattering that anyone is even considering this idea, there are a couple of issues. First, I'm not done yet, and probably won't be for quite some time. Even if I manage to crank out an update three times a month (which is optimistic), I'd still be about a year away from finishing.

Second, as Siuis says, there's my plan to turn the Story Hour into a novel. It won't be a D&D novel explicitly -- I'm teasing out the trademarked stuff -- but I've actually committed to writing it*, and am about 10,000 words in at the moment. (Disclaimer! Life can derail all plans including this one!) It's more likely that someday, when a sufficiency of agents has rejected my fantasy epic, I'll explore the self-publishing route, and perhaps then a Kickstarter will be more in order.

In the meantime, unless StevenAC objects, you can always print out the .pdf's, and get it bound at a print-shot somewhere.

* I'll still write the Story Hour, of course, which has always competed with other creative projects for my spare time. Now it's just competing with a version of itself. :)

StevenAC

Explorer
Great to hear you're working on a novelised version, Sagiro -- good luck! So, ten thousand words down; that's about another 990,000 to go, then? :D

In the meantime, unless StevenAC objects, you can always print out the .pdf's, and get it bound at a print-shot somewhere.
I have no objection whatever to anyone printing out the PDFs for their own use -- it's what I plan to do myself, after all, once the story is complete. But an actual publishing venture (whether for profit, or not) is out of the question, as far as I'm concerned; the copyright/trademark issues make the whole idea a minefield.

Incidentally, for anyone who's planning to print out the PDFs in the near future, you might want to wait until Part Three is completed, which should only take another one or two updates from Sagiro. I've just finished another pass through the whole story (wonderfully enjoyable, as always), during which I found and fixed a few dozen minor typos and small formatting glitches. Once I've uploaded these changes, Parts One, Two and Three of the story will (hopefully) have reached their final forms.

(It's amazing how typos can somehow stay invisible even after many readings of a passage. My favorite one was in Chapter 13 (page 139 of Part Two) where one wrong letter turns a sentence into funny nonsense -- and I must have read that page at least a dozen times before without spotting it.:heh:)

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
If other venues for distribution of this great story are under consideration, how about "Abernathy's Company: The Animated Series"?

I'd love to see Pixar's take on tentacles popping out of the head of...that...orc...guy...

What was his name?

;)

Kaodi

Hero
Given that we spend all of this story hour looking over the Company's shoulders, I wonder whether we would actually be exempt from the "no fame" rule in the same way the party members are; if we were extending the "rules" to real life.

Remove ads