Sail South From Sasserine

EpicFailure

Explorer
Is that the lovely lady morning I spy? Yes I too wonder where the tales of our epic bloodbath and my personal romances have gone too.
many hugs
your favorite druid

Dantardis

First Post
After seraching the body of the dead Penkus, the group headed back up the T junction to the other door, from which they could hear a scuttling sound. Morning continued to intimidate Shefton, who was cowering in the corner. As they readied to open the door, Seki ponted out that the scuttling sound seemed similar to crabs, so the party all readied. As Seki opened the door Grey readied and took a shot at one of the small crabs and killed one. The crabs swarmed forward and hit Erin. In retaliation Erin hit one of the crabs with her trident and damaged it quite severely. Grey moved in to finishe it off with an arrow. Morning, giving praise to the Duchess hit another crab and roasted it with his fire producing auar. Soon the fight was all over. The party then retraced their steps back to the trapdoor, which was still firmly shut. With Grey and Morning helping to lift him up, Aust teleported up through the trapdoor and arrived back on the beach. He could see in the distance a man running away, who appeared to be Vanthus Vanderboren, running away back to the boats. Aust saw him take a potion out of his pocket and drank it, his form becoming gaseous and he flew away. Aust turned back to the trapdoorand rolled the boulders than Vanthus had set there aside and lifted the trapdoor. "Vanthus is running off" he shouted.

The party ran back to the beach where they could see the gaseous form of Vanthus running off, getting onto their raft they gave a rope to Nimo who jumped into the waves and started to tow the raft with the party on it back to shore, following the gas cloud. After a lightning run through the streets they saw the cloud disappear through a chimney into the Taxidermist's Guildhall. The party thought the best method of getting him was to stroll in. The Guildhall was a strange sight, filled floor to ceiling with various stuffed animals and other creatures, in various poses and positions. A smooth and lacquered man who introduced himself as Nemien Robach gave them a tour. Grey had noticed that there were some tracks on the floor which led through another door. Using hand signals he motioned for the rest of the party to crowd round Nemien, showing interest in what he was saying while he sneaked through the door. He found a passageway where the tracks seemed to stop at the wall. He snuck back into the main room and behing Nemien, hitting him with a cosh and knocking him unconscious. They sat Nemien down in a chair and poured some of the embalming fluid over his clothing. The party then moved down the corridor and into the secret passage, which Grey had found. The passage led to another trapdoor which led below the guildhall. From the passage and off to one side the party could hear the sound of lapping waves, together with a loud clanging noise.

Morning moved forward and saw that the passage ended in a room that was ankle deep in saltwater, that ended in a wall with a portcullis in the down position. Morning started to move through the water towards the portcullis. As she got about halfway across the pool a group of several squid like creatues ;ept out and attacked. Four of them bit Morning and did some damage, the wounds bleeding quite badly. Two further creatures moveed forward and bit Nimo and Seki. Aust moved behind Morning and healed her with a wand of cure light wounds. Three of the creatures hit Erin. Morning, switched her aura to a glimmering aura of fire energy and it caught on fire. The remaining creatures ducked back under the water and retreated.
Morning moved back into the water and was ambushed again, but fortunately only one of the creatures managed to hit her, but managed to stagger her Erin was also attacked and fell over bleeding. Morning managed to switch her aura to one of healing and managed to kill two of the creatures. As the creatues stormed forward Nimo tried to stop them but was hit several times and became staggered. Aust moved behind Nimo and healed him, whilst Morning killed the final creatures. The party noticed, after the fight was over that there were some traces of food laying on the surface of the water.

Dantardis

First Post
Meanwhile, while the fight had been going on, Grey had remianed outside in the city, keeping an eye on the ship that Vanthus had stationed in the harbour, called the Sea Wyvern. Grey saw a small longboat from a distance away, sail over to the caravel with a figure inside it who could only be Vanthus. Grey saw Vanthus climb aboard the vessel and a short time later it sailed out of the harbour. Grey followed it by moving around parts of the city wall, until he finally lost sight of it as the Sea Wyvern headed out of Sasserine in the general direction of Larmouth.
Grey then returned to the rest of the party who had by this time returned to the Taxidermist Guildhall and tidied up Nemien, removing the statins of the embalming fluid with a handy prestidigitation spell from Nimo. Morning managed to bluff Nemien very well that he had suddenly passed out and they had laid him in a chair. The party decided to head back to Lavinia and report on all they had seen. Lavinia told them that the Sea Wyvern had once belonged to her parents but that they had given the vessel to Vanthus for his eighteenth birthday. She went on to say that she believed Vanthus was heading towards Kraken's Cove and if possible she would like the party to go after him.
Deciding that Vanthus was likely to expect them to go aftter him by sea they hired some horses and set off around the bay from Sasserine to Kraken's Cove. The first past of the journey passed uneventfully until the evening when the party had settled down to rest. As they were going about their normal camp routine they saw a group of strange fish like creatures coming towards them, murder in their eyes

Dantardis

First Post
The fish creatures moved forward and seemed to group together in groups of four, a moment later a bolt of lightning speared out from this towards Aust and hit him, doing some damage. Morning moved towards the group and with a mighty blow killed one of the creatures. Seki and his snake also moved foward and went in to attack. Morning reversed her grip on her weapon and a second of the creatures fell. Grey, meanwhile concemtrated and tried to cast a spell at the second group of the creatures, which had appeared but this did not seem to have any effect. The creatures had retaliated by this time and two of them struck Morning , whilst a smaller group of the creatures fied another lightning bolt at Aust. In retaliation Aust cast a spell a an arc of clour spun out of his fingers, leaving three of the creatures stunned. Erin, by this time had also moved forward and killed one of the creatures, with her trident. Seki managed to critical one of the creatures and the remiaing creatures moved in to attack Erin and Aust. Seki managed to kill one of the other creatures, whilst Grey finished off the other. Soon all was quiet, but Seki noticed that there was a dark plume of smoke coming from Kraken's Cove.
After resting the party headed off again towards the cove, moving through slightly denser jungle surroundings. They were about half an ahour away from the cove when they heard a screeching sound. Grey, who was scouting ahead had just time to shout a warning before a group of monkeys swarme dout of the trees, jumping onto the party's horses. Although their basic shape was that of a monkey they appeared more savage, with bestial features and strabge bony outgrowths protruding from their limbs. As they moved forward to attack Morning was quicker and caught one of the creatures with one gauntleted hand, grappling it and using the other hand to continually damage it. The monkey died but as it did so it burst into a pool of acidic goo, splashing Morning and her horse. At the same time one of the creatures bit Seki whilst another bit Erin. Nimo, who had been trying to dismount was carried off, back towards Sasserine by his horse as he had lost control of his mount temporarily. Grey, taking out his longbow shot one of the creatures through the neck, killing it. The rest of the party quickly finished off the rest of the monkeys and continued.

Dantardis

First Post
When the party got to Kraken Cove they could see the reason for the thick plumes of black smoke. What could only be described as a conflagration met their eyes. Several large ships were aflame, together with a film of oil over the ship. The only ship which appeared to have escaped the flames for now appeared to be a caravel, which was further out to sea. A walkway led down from the top of the cliffs to a small beach, but as the party looked one of the aflame ships slipped itsmoorings and crashed into the wooden walkway, completely demolishing it. Grey, taking the initiative, jumped from the top of the cliffs and featherfalled down to the beach. Looking around Grey saw that the beach appeared to be deserted. As he looked around, however, he failed to spot two pirates who had been hiding behind some cargo crates. They too, appeared malformed and twisted and some sixth sense warned Grey to turn around just before the pirates could attack. He quickly finished them off and motioned for the rest of the party to join him, which they did by utilising a rope to from a simple block and tackle system.
Grey moved off into a cave system which seemed to lead from the beach. From the right hand side of the system he could hear a bestial growling and headed in that direction, the rest of the party following behind. He saw a medium sized dinosaur, which also had been affected by some strange energy, with bonespurs protruding from its flesh. Although it moved fast, Grey was quickerand managed to hit the dinosaur with a mighty blow that seemed to do considerable damage. Morning then, using true strike on her weapon managed to finish off the dinosaur, killing it.Moving in to the rest of the complex the party met little resistance, apart from the odd pirate until they reached a wooden door, from which they could hear occasional shouts and growls.
Nimo opened the door and a strange sight met the party's eyes. A tall, raven haired, striking woman, dressed like a pirate seemed to be standing behind a barricade and holding off more of the savage pirates. She seemed to notice them, calling out, "Lend a hand there, me hearties.", before heading back to the fray, killing two of the creatures before more took their place. The party moved forward and with the woman's help managed to finsih off what remained of the creatues. All fell silent within the caves.

Dantardis

First Post
When the fight was over, the woman, eyeing the group warily introduced herself as Captain Harliss Javell of the Slippery Eel. "My thanks for helping me. I assume that you're not with that slimeball Vanthus." When Nimo questioned her about Vanthus she went on, "Aye Vanthus Vanderboren, curse his name. He was supposed to meet us in the cove to pay us for our smuggling operation, but then he tried to trick us by paying with false coin. When I complained he pulled a black pearl out of his pocket and dropped it to the deck of my ship. After that, everything went a bit strange. When the pearl hit the deck a strange dark energy washed over everyone aboard. It made me feel strange but I managed to shrug the effects off, as did Vanthus. My crew were not so lucky, they changed into the creatures you just saw. Vanthus ran away.. I think. You can have all the goods I was going to give Vanthus, all I ask is that you let me go away from here."

While the party, together with Captain Javell, helped move the cargo back to the top of the cliffs above the cove, Nimo and Grey decided to go for a little swim. Diving underneath the ships, which were on fire they used an adamanatine drill to make a hole in the ship big enough for them to climb through. Going to each vessel in turn, apart from the caravel which was anchored further out they were able to discover various maps and charts. The party then went back to Sasserine to train and sell the goods they had found.

Dantardis

First Post
INTERLUDE

He lay strapped to a table, his benefactor standing above him with a manic look on his eye. Though he tried to scream no sound emerged. "My friend", said his benefactor, "don't be afraid, I'm going to make you faster and stroger than you've ever been before. How, you may expereince some pain, well alright a lot of pain." As huis benefactor's laughter ended his screams began......

Dantardis

First Post
Lavinia had asked to see the party once they had finished their training. "Greetings once again. I have deciphered my mother's notes and charts. They detail that my parents some five years ago set up a colony on a tropical island which was rich in rare minerals and goods. They called it Farshore and it's many thousands of miles to the south. It's my parents last legacy and I intend to travel there to turn Farshore into a going concern. That's where I need your help. I find that I am a ship short for the journey as I intend to carry some supplies and goods for the colonists. I beleive that you found my parent's other vessel, the Sea Wyvern in Kraken's Cove. I would like you to return to Kraken's Cove and recover the vessel."

A short time later the party found themselves back in Kraken's Cove. Looking out into the cove they could see the Sea Wyvern at a distance. Aust could see that there was a nameplate on it, covering up the name Sea Wyvern. This new nameplate was written in orcish and simply said "Ours." Following on from this Aust used a magical Lyre which he'd found in the cargo to fashion a crude raft. Nimo dived under the water of the cove and swam beneath the hull of the ship. Moving softly and silently on the raft the rest of the party swam up to the Sea Wyvern. Aust tried to climd the deck and made some noise, the creatures aboard were alerted. Nimo could see that they were Orcs. The Orcs had been alerted but one was killed by Grey. Aust, who by this time had managed to climd aboard successfully cast a spell at another Orc and it screamed as various parts of its body were burned with acid. Erin climed aboard and issued a challenge to the Orcs. Morning hit an Orc at the stern of a ship and it fell down and started bleeding. The Orcs that remained tried to hit Erin and Seki and missed. A third Orc cowered in the corner. Between them Erin and Seki finished off the last two aggressive Orcs. Aust meanwhile questioned the prisoner. The Orc revealed that the group of them had been on the run from a leader in a complex to the north, at the base of a mountain with a black rock on it, shpaed like a tooth. They'd come down to the cove and found the Sea Wyvern and decided to use it to run away.

The group searched the ship and found several mundane items but nothing of any real value apart from a crate containing a crested felldrake. Seki attempted to use animal empathy on the creature but was unsuccessful.

Dantardis

First Post
After recapturing the Sea Wyvern the party sailed it back into Sasserine, and headed the caravel back to Lavinia. Lavinia thanked them and told them that it would take some time to stock up the ships, so the party decided to head out into the wilderness and try to find the complex that the Orcs had mentioned. They weren't sure exactly where the commplex was, only that it was somewhere near Kraken Cove. After the first day of travel they made camp. Early in the evening while the group were making camp, Grey noticed that there was some movement from the north. A group of seven lizards moved forwards through the undergrowth. They seemed to walk touching each other and seemed to be harnassing some energy which they then released as a bolt of electricity, straight at Aust. By this time the rest of the party had moved forward and Bato hit one of the lizrds, killing it. Nimo did some chanting at the back and two were killed by his spell. Bato moved around and killed a second lizrd, whilst Erin finished off another. Althought the lizards tried to retaliate they were unsuccessful. Grey tried to shoot one of the lizards who was now in melee but failed and accidentally hit Seki's badger instead. Bato killed the final shocker lizard and everything became silent, the rest of the night passing uneventfully.

Dantardis

First Post
The follwing day the party continued to head north, with Grey and Nimo taking the lead. Up ahead they could see a large mound with a sharp, black almost tooth-like protrusion coming from the top of it. A winding path led up to the top. Some way to the west there was a large lake which seemed to have unnatural currents moving across it. On the mountain itself there appeared to be some form of stone bunker with two Orcs patrolling it, alhough they seemed more intent on watching each other, rather than keeping an eye on the approach to their home. Motioning for the rest of the party to remain hidden in some undegrowth, Nimo and Grey moved sneakily and silently forward, Nimo heading towards them, Grey sneaking around the bunker to drop down from above. The Orcs were surprised as Grey dropped down and quickly slew one of the Orcs. He wasn't quick enough however, as the second Orc raised the alarm. Grey quickly killed the second Orc and ran to the door, which a third Orc was hurriedly trying to close. Grey quickly killed this third Orc an moved onwards through the complex. Meanwhile the rest of the party quickly ran up to the opening. Grey hurried down a passageway into another room which contained some more Orcs, killing one Orc but missing another that was present. The Orcs moved forwards and hit Erin. Erin retaliated by swinging her trident and slaying one of them. Soon the Orcs lay dead.
Coming to a T junction within the complex themain body of the party headed one way while Seki decided to head the other way. Grey and the other came to a door, from which they could hear a low growling sound. Bursting open the door they saw a large Ogre with two wolf companions. Grey, who had been readying an arrow, immediately let fly at the Ogre. In retaliation the Ogre moved forward and tried to hit Grey but missed. Aust joined the fray, casting a spell at the Ogre, which causeed acid burns to appear all over its flesh. Grey moved further into the room, hitting the Ogre again. The wolves, by this time had started to move forward to attack the rest of the party. One of them managed to hit Bato and tripped him up. Morning struck the Ogre, killing it. Erin joined the fray and with one mighty blow one of the wolves was dead. The final wolf tried to flee and was killed by combined blows from Morning and Bato.
Meanwhile at the other end of the corridor, Seki and his snake were finding things a lot more difficult than they expected. As he headed down some stairs which led downwards he was ambushed by some gnat like flying creatures. One of the creatures was hit by the snake and poisoned whilst Seki managed to hit another. The remaining creatures managed to hit Seki and attaching themselves to him drained him of some of his vitality. By this time Seki's screams had summoned the others and Nimo cast a spell causing a bolt of glowing energy to hit two of the creatures, killing them. The party then continued.

Remove ads