• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Same Character Changing Classes

Askaval30

Explorer
I have a character running a level six dwarf fighter, but recently he's set his sights on becoming a priest and would like to change classes while retaining his old character.

I can sort of see this from a fluff perspective: taking vows, etc... but how would one go about doing this mechanically, if even possible.

Thanks!

renau1g

First Post
I'd just have him rebuild from the ground up. Is he going to be a battle cleric? There's a feat that lets dwarves use axes for implements that may be of use to him. (also he may have a magical axe he doesn't want to get rid of)

Mesh Hong

First Post
Anyway you want really.....

Is he wanting to to change from a level 6 fighter to a level 6 cleric? If so you just need to come up with a plot device to "Transform" him. This would depend on what god he wanted to be a cleric of.

If he wants to stay as a 6th level fighter but progress from 7th and beyond as a cleric then that is a lot more problematic and I would advise against allowing him to do it but show him the multiclassing feats because that is what they are there for.

drothgery

First Post
Anyway you want really.....

Is he wanting to to change from a level 6 fighter to a level 6 cleric? If so you just need to come up with a plot device to "Transform" him. This would depend on what god he wanted to be a cleric of.

Though you might want to have him take a look at all the divine classes first; a fighter might work a lot better rebuilt as a paladin than as a cleric, depending on what the player wants to do with the character.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Mechanically, by RAW, he would be locked into his original class of Fighter, so this would be:

1. Spending feats to multiclass into whichever divine class he wants to pursue.
. A. Typically four feats, one for the original multiclassing, then one each for Encounter, Utility, and Daily power.

2. Either:
. A. Taking a divine-flavored Paragon Path (unlocked by his Multiclass) or
. B. Using Paragon multiclassing to take additional Prayers / powers from his second class.

He can wind up with 7 powers from his second class for a cost of four feats plus his Paragon path.

Alternately, he can roll up a new character, retire the fighter, etc.

Anything else you let him do should result from a negotiation between you and the player; in particular I'd stress that any form of "complete rebuild" is a one-off, not something he can expect to do several times over his career.

I'd probably also push him to build a version of his priest that closely matches his available Fighter powers (for minimal ret-con): e.g., spending feats if necessary to become proficient in his original armor, weapons, etc., possibly even multiclassing *the other way*, e.g., spending a couple multiclass feats on Fighter powers, etc. Remind him that he can "retrain" these feats later on, one per level gained, towards a more optimized version of his new class.

Gruns

Explorer
Well by RAW this is not allowed, but I'm guessing we're talking about a friendly home game and not some official tournament or even LFR. And since the whole point of the game is for everyone to have fun, well, why not let him? There are lot's of ways to 'fluff' the transformation from fighter to "priest". (Cleric? Runepruest?) People find religion all the time! :p Naturally it'd be best for continuity's sake if I stayed on as a STR build if he went to cleric. Just to keep the feel of the burly fighter type. But in the end, just remember it's all about fun!
Just make sure this doesn't start a chain reaction where everyone is completely changing classes in such a radical way that the entire campaign gets ruined. That's NOT fun...
Later!
Gruns

Rebuild as battle cleric is an option wothout changing stats at all if his fighter was built well rounded (high strength moderate const and wis or even 16/16/16 or even 16str/15con/18wis)

a dwarven fighter multiclassing as cleric and taking paragon path battle cleric is a scary effective defender with a lot of healing options. (at least on paper)

Mr. Teapot

First Post
The least drastic change, mechanically, would be to leave him as is, mechanically. Not all priests need to be of a divine class. He could be given the priesthood and respected as a priest and get all the social responsibilities and benefits that implies without any changes to his stats.

If he wants to dabble a little, he can start multiclassing. At level 7, he could retrain a feat into a cleric/runepriest/paladin MC feat, or he could wait until 8th level to take the feat as new. Then he keeps picking up new multiclass feats as needed. Not all priests need to be of a divine class, after all.

More drastic changes would involve completely rebuilding his character from the ground up, as if he was always a cleric/paladin/runepriest. Or make him a hybrid Fighter|Runepriest or whatever he chooses. For a home game, it's best to have the character match up with the player's conception fo the character, regardless of what the retraining rules say (barring abuse, of course). In a game I GMed, we had the opposite: a dwarven cleric that renounced her divine connection and became a Warden. It worked just fine, making her as if she were an appropriate levelled warden instead of cleric.

Remove ads