• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

San Diego FLGS

Sam

First Post
Going to San Diego next week on business. In my quest to see the best and brightest of Friendly Local Gaming Stores, I'm wondering if there is one in the downtown San Diego area that I could/should visit? I'm not renting a car, so it'll have to be in reasonable distance from my hotel at Broadway & 6th.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Simplicity

Explorer
Sam said:
Going to San Diego next week on business. In my quest to see the best and brightest of Friendly Local Gaming Stores, I'm wondering if there is one in the downtown San Diego area that I could/should visit? I'm not renting a car, so it'll have to be in reasonable distance from my hotel at Broadway & 6th.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

In Horton Plaza, there's a Gamekeeper. Horton Plaza is relatively easy to find if you wander around in the Gaslamp District at all. Unfortunately, I don't know the street address...

Sam

First Post
Simplicity said:
In Horton Plaza, there's a Gamekeeper. Horton Plaza is relatively easy to find if you wander around in the Gaslamp District at all. Unfortunately, I don't know the street address...
Thanks. I'll be spending quite a bit of time in the Gaslamp District, so I'm sure I'll see it. I'm particularly interested in independent stores, not chains. I've found that most chain stores aren't as interesting as indy shops. Could be wrong, so I'll stop by this Gamekeeper.

Katowice

Explorer
Stay away from Horton Plaza, at least for games. Instead, take the trolley (it's red) to the Old Town Trolley Station, just north of downtown San Diego (and the airport). The store you want is Game Towne. They have an antique yellow truck in front. Here's the address:

Game Towne
3954 Harney Street
San Diego, CA 92110
(619) 291-1666
http://www.gametowne.com/

They have a large selection of d20 material and miniatures. I always visit them when I am in San Diego. Very nice store.

If you're hungry head over to Coyote Cafe, Old Town Cafe or Casa de Pico (home of the "World Famous Margarita).

Sam said:
Thanks. I'll be spending quite a bit of time in the Gaslamp District, so I'm sure I'll see it. I'm particularly interested in independent stores, not chains. I've found that most chain stores aren't as interesting as indy shops. Could be wrong, so I'll stop by this Gamekeeper.

ergeheilalt

First Post
Sam said:

Clairmont Mesa has Game empire - which has a home page for the address and such here: http://www.gameempire.com/

Have fun in America's Finest city...

Erge

Luddite

First Post
Well, Gamekeeper is okay. But you won't find anything too specail there. It is yet another Hasbro Store.

Considering your situation, your best bet is to take the Trolly up to "Old Town" and go to Game Towne (http://www.gametowne.com). Old Town is fun to wonder anyway, and has some of the best Mexican resturants you will find in San Diego. (My Favorite is Old Town Mexican Cafe.)

It used to be you could take the Trolly to Game Empire, but they moved up to a nicer and larger location. Game Empire (http://www.gameempire.com) is also next to Mysterious Galaxies (a SF and Horror Book Store) as well as the Enetman's Bakery outlet :) If you are adventours, there should be a bus you can take from either Old Town or Horton Plaza to get to you Game Empire.

There is a Wizard's Store at Mission Valley, (also off the Trolly) but it has only the popular WotC items. They used to carry alot of the d20 and other games (GURPS and Vampire) but it is now yet another Hasbro Store.

Happy Hunting.

-The Luddite

ForceUser

Explorer
I'll second Game Towne in Old Town. It's the best game store in San Diego. The guys who work there are passionate about games.

(619) 291-1666

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads