• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sand Raiders - Bad Monsters

Bungo_Underhill

First Post
So I was reading through the Sand raiders intro adventure at the back of the new Dark Sun book, I come to the first stat block and thought - Wow they really have ramped up the lethality of monsters for Dark Sun!

2d6+5 is pretty brutal for a level one baddy anyway but three chances at a 4d6+4, one of which makes you susceptible to more damage, well that's enough to drop a maxed out warden or battlemind in a round if they gang up.

Then I kept reading.

It turns out they've not bothered to adjust the damage for any of the bugs in encounter two, they still just have the old MM1 damage, and brute attack bonuses, making it much less deadly than encounter one.

Then I read some more...

Hang-on these Silt raiders that seemed over powered have different stats in encounter three. 2d6+3/3d6+6/2d6+3(vul 5). That seems about fair, still strong but more balanced than the encounter one version. I'll assume this version is the correct block and when I run this I'll use the encounter three stats for both encounters.

Surely the intro adventure is likely to be the first thing a lot of players (and DMs) run in dark sun, especially for newer/less experienced DMs/players. I think a litle more time should have been spent fixing these issues.

Remove ads