• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sand Snare vs. Kip up(and like abilities)

emoplato

First Post
I found the sand snare in the Sandstorm adventures setting booklet and it has some very interesting language. This is a feat that kicks in after you have tripped someone in loose earth or sand-like terrain. It specifically says a creature must spend a full-round action to get themselves out of the terrain and then they can stand up from prone as normal. Would this then mean characters with kip up(and like abilities) would still need to take the full-round action?

Empirate

First Post
AFB right now, but that sounds to me as if the full-round action is necessary not to get up, but to get out of that shallow grave BEFORE you can even think about getting up. Meaning, Thief Acrobats are out of luck this time.

emoplato

First Post
AFB right now, but that sounds to me as if the full-round action is necessary not to get up, but to get out of that shallow grave BEFORE you can even think about getting up. Meaning, Thief Acrobats are out of luck this time.
Okay, from what I have read it doesn't really add anything to prone so technically they could still move, right? I mean they are in a shallow grave, but something else isn't mentioned it just adds to the time getting up or am I missing something?

RogueInRouge

First Post
I found the sand snare in the Sandstorm adventures setting booklet and it has some very interesting language. This is a feat that kicks in after you have tripped someone in loose earth or sand-like terrain. It specifically says a creature must spend a full-round action to get themselves out of the terrain and then they can stand up from prone as normal.

Interesting, I read the description of the Sand Snare feat as saying:

• If you want to get up immediately after being tripped (i.e. during the round after being tripped,) it's going to take a full round action
  • If you stay prone for a bit and try later, it's a normal move action. (I guess the dust settles or something?)
As to how that applies to kip-up, I don't think it's clear. But since kip-up normally makes a move action into a free action, I'd suggest:

• If you want to kip up immediately after being tripped (i.e. during the round after being tripped,) it's going to take a normal move action but still doesn't provoke AoO
  • If you want to kip up in a later round, there's no problem (free action)

emoplato

First Post
Interesting, I read the description of the Sand Snare feat as saying:

• If you want to get up immediately after being tripped (i.e. during the round after being tripped,) it's going to take a full round action
  • If you stay prone for a bit and try later, it's a normal move action. (I guess the dust settles or something?)
As to how that applies to kip-up, I don't think it's clear. But since kip-up normally makes a move action into a free action, I'd suggest:

• If you want to kip up immediately after being tripped (i.e. during the round after being tripped,) it's going to take a normal move action but still doesn't provoke AoO
  • If you want to kip up in a later round, there's no problem (free action)
No, it says following that round so they need to take the round to "dig themselves out" as it were, then they get up. Why, I don't know it is a strange ability. So, I think the case would be your last bullet point that they use a round of action, then freely get up.

RogueInRouge

First Post
Sandstorm p.52 said:
If you successfully trip an opponent in any area of ash, dust, loose earth, or sand that is at least 1 inch deep, that opponent must take a full-round action to stand during the round after being tripped. Following that round, the target can get to his feet with a move action (as normal).

emoplato said:
they need to take the round to "dig themselves out" as it were, then they get up

I guess we're interpreting the text differently. The way I see it, standing up during the round after being tripped is an optional action for the opponent. If you want to take it, it's going to cost you a full-round action but at least you'll be able to take a full round attack in the FOLLOWING round.

If you're happy to stay prone and attack from there during the round after being tripped, well, that's fine too. When you finally get around to standing up, there won't be any special penalty.

emoplato said:
it is a strange ability

On that I agree completely. :)

emoplato

First Post
I guess we're interpreting the text differently. The way I see it, standing up during the round after being tripped is an optional action for the opponent. If you want to take it, it's going to cost you a full-round action but at least you'll be able to take a full round attack in the FOLLOWING round.

If you're happy to stay prone and attack from there during the round after being tripped, well, that's fine too. When you finally get around to standing up, there won't be any special penalty.

On that I agree completely. :)
Oh, yes that is what I meant. I guess I didn't convey that. If someone had large or longer reach racked up along with Earth devotion and some turn undead attempts for versatility, they would be a living, breathing obstacle course.

Remove ads