• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sand Table

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
It's just wet sand, molded to mimic the natural undulations of a landscape, then covered as necessary with flock and other ground cover, with trees and rocks and such added in as well.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I've played on a sand table, yes. My friend actually had one in his living room for years, until he got engaged and his SO made him ditch it for something more practical.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
More practical than a Sand table? Like what?

Formal dining
: remold the sand to conform to the fine china, and not a bit of it will even think about falling off the table.

Non-gaming parlor entertainment
: flatten out the center section...packing it down hard. Dig a hole at each corner and one equidistant down the 2 longest sides. Play pool. Bonus: you can repair a gouge in seconds.

Non-gaming sports
: practice getting out of sand traps, even when its storming outside!

And remember, its great for cat sitting too!

The only time we played on a sand table (my second OD&D group), the DM would flip the massive plywood lids onto his table and we would use it as a regular table. A few times there were whole miniature battles going on in there that we'd look at prior to game setup.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads