Sandman Trailer (and Neil Gaiman commentary)

carborundum

Adventurer
The 30th Anniversary reprints are nice and not scary-priced like the boxed sets.

The first episode was fantastic, there were only s few scenes I kind of missed (I'll just say scrying for the stolen ruby, to not spoil the book) but it made up for it with the foreshadowing before the titles (Martin Tenbones!) and just by being a beautiful, faithful Sandman on TV.

BRayne

Adventurer
Through episode 2 and the only particular disappointment is I feel they got too much into "gotta make this character sympathetic for some reason", particularly in ep 1. Like I think Roderick Burgess can just suck as a person, he doesn't need a dead son to "wrong kid died" Alex to being more sympathetic, causing him to kill the raven to make Dream more sympathetic. Roderick can just be a power hungry naughty word, and Alex his proper heir with a bit more fear in him.

Arilyn

Hero
Through episode 2 and the only particular disappointment is I feel they got too much into "gotta make this character sympathetic for some reason", particularly in ep 1. Like I think Roderick Burgess can just suck as a person, he doesn't need a dead son to "wrong kid died" Alex to being more sympathetic, causing him to kill the raven to make Dream more sympathetic. Roderick can just be a power hungry naughty word, and Alex his proper heir with a bit more fear in him.
Roderick needs a dead son in the story because his plan was to summon Death, in order to have his eldest brought back. He got Morpheus instead.

Alex is a sympathetic character who becomes less so as time goes by. Fear continually stops him from doing the right thing and he ultimately pays the price.

I think the theme and the characters work very well for Sandman.

I've seen three episodes so far and am impressed with the adaptation.

Stalker0

Legend
Never read the comics or knew the story ahead of time, so this was a fresh take for me as I watched all of the first season. Visually the story was very well done, with very seamless transitions into a variety of interesting worlds, from fiddler's green to hell.

Plot wise it was ok for me. It felt like an anthology within the season (which I'm guessing is how it is in the comics), even 2-3 episodes representing a singular plot that leads to a new plotline. I didn't find the plots particularly engaging, it was neat to see the characters and I didn't feel any of the plots were stupid or bad....just again not as engaging as I would like.

Just finished the existing episodes. I really enjoyed the show (hence already being finished).
As mentioned, I am not familiar with the source material, but with all the visuals I've seen, I totally believe that this was based on a graphic novel.
I enjoyed how the story unfolded, it wasn't quite episodic and it wasn't quite serialized, one story arc flowing into a new arc.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I did a binge watch, and really enjoyed the first lot of episodes, got a bit confused (especially with the John Dee episode) then I realised it was an anthology rather than a single plot.
Would have loved to see much, much more of both Death and Desire.

briggart

Adventurer
Finished the series and I'm really happy with what we got. I have a few minor gripes with some of the changes to the Dream-Lucien relationship, and the Dream-Rose-Corinthian storyline, but I get they probably wanted to add a bit more tension/drama to make it more palatable to a larger audience. I liked the first 6 episodes better than the last 4, but overall it basically ticks all my checkboxes.

Really hoping we'll get much more of this.

Remove ads