SAS: Rogue Heroes

pukunui

Legend
Anyone else watch the BBC's SAS: Rogue Heroes miniseries? It is a "mostly true" account of the British SAS's formation in North Africa during WW2. Stars Alfie Allen among others.

I'm only halfway through it myself. I've been enjoying it. A bit irreverant. Lots of AC/DC, which might seem a bit incongruous, but I think it works. Not afraid to shy away from the gruesomeness of war.

It does have a bit of a slow start, though.

They have invented a fictional character for Sofia Boutella (Star Trek Beyond's Jaylah), an Algerian woman working for French intelligence. She seemed like an interesting character at first, but then they went and ruined it by having her fall in love with Stirling. Ugh. That was not necessary.

Historians are also saying the portrayal of Paddy Mayne is inaccurate. He wasn't a brutish thug like he is portrayed as being in the series.

Anyway, here's the trailer for those of you who might be interested:

Zardnaar

Legend
Anyone else watch the BBC's SAS: Rogue Heroes miniseries? It is a "mostly true" account of the British SAS's formation in North Africa during WW2. Stars Alfie Allen among others.

I'm only halfway through it myself. I've been enjoying it. A bit irreverant. Lots of AC/DC, which might seem a bit incongruous, but I think it works. Not afraid to shy away from the gruesomeness of war.

It does have a bit of a slow start, though.

They have invented a fictional character for Sofia Boutella (Star Trek Beyond's Jaylah), an Algerian woman working for French intelligence. She seemed like an interesting character at first, but then they went and ruined it by having her fall in love with Stirling. Ugh. That was not necessary.

Historians are also saying the portrayal of Paddy Mayne is inaccurate. He wasn't a brutish thug like he is portrayed as being in the series.

Anyway, here's the trailer for those of you who might be interested:

A somewhat realistic SAS formation isn't as exciting as it's reputation and what it has become.

pukunui

Legend
A somewhat realistic SAS formation isn't as exciting as it's reputation and what it has become.
Of course not. I think they've done a pretty good job dramatizing it with this series. My only real quibble is with the treatment of the one main (and entirely fictional) female character.

Oh, also, there's talk of a second series that covers the SAS in the European theater later in the war. I'll be keen to see that series too. I liked Band of Brothers. This is kind of the British version.

Zardnaar

Legend
Of course not. I think they've done a pretty good job dramatizing it with this series. My only real quibble is with the treatment of the one main (and entirely fictional) female character.

Oh, also, there's talk of a second series that covers the SAS in the European theater later in the war. I'll be keen to see that series too. I liked Band of Brothers. This is kind of the British version.

Ah the historical SAS weren't super elite just a heap of mad bastards who were willing to drive jeeps behind the lines.

I suppose you missed the British war comics Commando, War, Battle etc?

Might have to check the show out problem is convincing the wife to watch war (WW1/2 that is, classical stuff is fine) with me.

pukunui

Legend
Ah the historical SAS weren't super elite just a heap of mad bastards who were willing to drive jeeps behind the lines.
I’m not sure I’d call the historical 101st Airborne “super elite” either, so I’m not entirely sure what your point is here.

I suppose you missed the British war comics Commando, War, Battle etc?
No. I never been much of a comics reader outside things like Asterix, Tintin, and Calvin & Hobbes.

Plus, I expect British war comics would have been hard to find in the US when I was growing up. We didn’t have Tintin back then. I had to get all of mine on trips to South Africa (where my mom grew up).

Zardnaar

Legend
I’m not sure I’d call the historical 101st Airborne “super elite” either, so I’m not entirely sure what your point is here.

No. I never been much of a comics reader outside things like Asterix, Tintin, and Calvin & Hobbes.

Plus, I expect British war comics would have been hard to find in the US when I was growing up. We didn’t have Tintin back then. I had to get all of mine on trips to South Africa (where my mom grew up).

We had Tintin here thought they were boring af. Asterix and Obelix are great.

If you find any old war comics at second hand shops you can learn pidgin German. Mein gott UN himmel, achtung panzer etc.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We started it, but kinda stopped after about 3 episodes. It was fine (we didn't hate it or anything) but other stuff grabbed our attention.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
We had Tintin here thought they were boring af. Asterix and Obelix are great.

If you find any old war comics at second hand shops you can learn pidgin German. Mein gott UN himmel, achtung panzer etc.
Actung actung sprechende deutsche!

I remember my brothers and I as young children running aroung yelling that at each other after reading dads war comics. Mein gott, for years that was the only German I knew!

Zardnaar

Legend
Actung actung sprechende deutsche!

I remember my brothers and I as young children running aroung yelling that at each other after reading dads war comics. Mein gott, for years that was the only German I knew!

Being able to insult someone in German aged 9 or 10 as well.

Remove ads