• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Savage Species] Damage Reduction Ex or Su?

lodestone

Explorer
Simple question:

In Savage Species, it lists Damage Reduction as Extraordinary in the Magical Beast Template section.

Is this a mistake, or 3.5E ruling?

I have looked for the answer on these boards as well as the Wizards boards and haven't seen any posts regarding this.

-Lodestone

lodestone

Explorer
Mahali said:
It's ex. Otherwise they get to keep it in an anti-magic zone.
AFAIK, Supernatural (Su) and Spell-Like (Sp) go away in Anti-Magic Zone.

Extraordinary (Ex) Abilities still work.

If (ex) went away in Anti-Magic Zones, that means that Tigers can't use their Pounce or Rake or whatever its called.

So, I guess I don't follow what you are trying to say...

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
In 3.5E, different varieties of DR are going to be either Ex or Su. DR that protects against all forms of physical damage (which is what barbarians have now, and skeletons will have in 3.5E) will be Ex. DR that protects against magic weapons will be Su. Dunno what DR that protects against special materials will be, but my guess is Ex.

WattsHumphrey

First Post
Actually, some creatures do have it as an EX ability, IIRC.

I seem to recall fighting a were-something-or-other sorcerer who used Anti-Magic Field... I don't think his DR went down, and it meant that all of us w/o silver weapons (YEAH RIGHT, like any of us carry silver weapons) were SOL.

Pretty cool, if you ask me.

Sejs

First Post
That's why my char always has at least one silver weapon.

Same here. Standard adventuring gear - weapons: if your primary focus is combat, make sure to have available in addition to your primary weapon:

- a silvered weapon (preferance: dagger)
- a bludgeoning weapon (preferance: light flail - don't know why though)
- a small or tiny slashing weapon (preferance: handaxe - can double as a hatchet for around the campsite)
- a ranged weapon (preferance: shortbow or sling)

Last edited:

Remove ads