• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Savage Tales of Solomon Kane

Express

First Post
I guess this just came out in June, a trade paperback collection of Howards stories just like the Conan vol.1

Ive never really read the Kane stories, I may have glanced over one a long time ago. And I didnt have alot of time in the bookstore Friday to get a feel for the collection. The idea of a occult battling, globetrotting Puritan is somehow appealing though.

Anyway, anyone have an opinion of the Kane stories? Has anyone picked it up?

FYI,I like REH's Conan (at least most of them).

Thanks

Solomon Kane is excellent reading, especially for certain campaigns and for general enjoyment. I must go find this book. I have a small collection released as part of a Howard collection that was released. The Kane atmosphere fits well in Ebberon by the way.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
I have the Baen version from a few years back, so wasn't going to pick this up. But looking through it at the bookstore, I noticed it has a few different stories from that edition, so I might buy it anyhow.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Solomon Kane is Howards best character. Howard wasn't big on background but the Solomon Kane stories have more depth and characterisation than the very straight forward Conan (which I also love).

I once designed a Homebrew 16th Century setting inspired by solomon Kane, and pretty much all my human (ie not gnome or half-orc) characters are modeled on Solomon Kane

Buy it - Love it...

mmadsen

First Post
Express said:
I guess this just came out in June, a trade paperback collection of Howards stories just like the Conan vol.1.
Ah, thanks for the reminder! I definitely need to pick this up!
Express said:
Ive never really read the Kane stories, I may have glanced over one a long time ago. And I didnt have alot of time in the bookstore Friday to get a feel for the collection. The idea of a occult battling, globetrotting Puritan is somehow appealing though.
I have to say, the idea of a Puritan badass did not immediately appeal to me. Then I read "Skulls in the Stars". Wow.
Express said:
FYI,I like REH's Conan (at least most of them).
Any time I've been ambivalent about a Robert E. Howard story, I've soon realized it wasn't a Robert E. Howard story; it was a pastiche.

Faraer

Explorer
Anyone who wants to support the publication of Robert E. Howard, older fantasy writers, and sword and sorcery should pick this book up. Its sales (rather than the relatively guaranteed Conan volumes) are going to determine whether Del Rey picks up further volumes of the Wandering Star Howard to publish in trade paperback, after Bran Mak Morn and Conan 3.

It's a nicer book than any other mass-market Solomon Kane edition, has better texts and supplementary material -- easily worth the modest price.

Last edited:

ironmani

First Post
Is this soft or hard cover? I do have the old paperback one from a while back, but Kane has always been my favorite! Solomon Kane rocks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads