Savage Worlds and Deadlands…

dbm

Savage!
In a recent stream about the new Kickstarter for Ghost Mountain, Shane Hensley mentioned they have tried to get the Thundarr license but at the time he managed to track down the right person to ask they weren’t interested. He keeps it on his ‘to do list’ to ask them again periodically!

Savage Worlds is my favourite system to GM and play. It’s a great start point for any pulp game (and that is my default approach to any genre) and easy to tweak and fine-tune for individual campaigns. Characters are broadly capable without being over powered, and the system keeps all enemies relevant due to the exploding dice mechanism which means any attack is a potential threat.

The damage system is very different to D&D. Significant characters like the PCs and ‘named enemies’ can take a few wounds before being incapacitated, and that number hardly ever changes. You can become more resilient through improving combat skills and armour, but there isn’t the ever-growing buffer of HP like with D&D. That is a radically different resource model and it has significant impact on how the game plays. D&D-ish games kind of assume a series of less demanding encounters to burn up some resources before getting to the more challenging fights. We find with Savage Worlds that you can skip these ‘speed bump’ fights and focus on the more interesting ones, which we find means we spend our combat time on more interesting fights. You can certainly have less significant combat, however these is a sub-system called ‘quick encounters’ which can be used to address these in just a skill roll from each participant - the outcome is mostly assured but the party may suffer some hardship in the process.

Magic is also different in feel. There are power points and skill rolls and spells are a bit less impacting in combat (though still effective and worthwhile) which means “linear fighter, quadratic wizard’ isn’t a thing in SW. And fighters get more options, too, which also helps.

Big spells are better handled using ‘dramatic tasks’ which are a great mechanism for gaming non-combat challenges of a wide variety. We use them for infiltration, exploration and overcoming all sorts of different obstacles.

I haven’t played much Deadlands, but it is the flagship campaign world, and I have read it. It’s a combination of Wild West, fantasy, and horror. I certainly plan to run it in the future and it is very well supported. There is also Savage Pathfinder if you want a pre-adapted fantasy game, and Savage Rifts if you want gonzo science-fantasy.

We’ve run home brew 40k and Warhammer Fantasy, and a game inspired by Joe Abercrombie’s books. it was all super-easy and a huge amount of fun.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I haven’t played much Deadlands, but it is the flagship campaign world, and I have read it. It’s a combination of Wild West, fantasy, and horror. I certainly plan to run it in the future And it is very well supported. There is also Savage Pathfinder if you want a pre-adapted fantasy game, and Savage Rifts if you want gonzo science-fantasy.

There's also Deadlands: Hell on Earth (Deadlands, extrapolated to the contemporary era) and Deadlands: Lost Colony (Deadlands, innnnn spaaaaaaccceeee!).

The SWADE version of Lost Colony is apt to be the next thing I run after I finish Wild Beyond the Witchlight.

dbm

Savage!
And Deadlands Noir and there is a medieval Deadlands on the development path (Deadlands Dark Ages? Not sure what the working title is).

Pinnacle‘s volume of development is off the charts at the moment.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can’t really talk in-depth about the problematic elements of Deadlands without going into US politics. So I’ll say this and no more. The original is filled with Southern Lost Cause nonsense.

Ah, yeah. The original setting is mid-1990s vintage, and games of that era have a tendency to have stuff we don't want to see any more.

Reynard

Legend
I am not a huge Deadlands fan. I mean it's fine and it's fun but I don't care to delve deep into the lore. But so far it works fine if you use it for some crasy Brisco County Jr shenanigans and don't worry about the rest.

Savage Worlds -- especially the newest SWADE edition -- is my go-to game system, though. It really does live up to the tag line: it is fast, furious and fun. It is swingy (which I consider a feature, not a bug) and SWADE has a lot of built in options to customize play to fir the genre and experience you want. It layers other mechanics on top well, too, so you can introduce features from other games you like. It is the only "generic" RPG on the market today that plays classic trilogy Star Wars right out of the box, and that is a huge plus to me.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Thanks for all the positive responses. I’m reading the latest edition of both Savage Worlds and Deadlands now.

The core system seems rather easy to handle, though I’m not the biggest fan of heaps of modifiers. At least most of them are small and easy enough to make up on the fly rather than worry about digging through the book.

I like that the game is ridiculously unbalanced. Exploding dice means success is always possible and any random mook can put the hurt on a PC. Bennies are meant to flow like candy early on, I guess. And those will help keep the PCs from dying to every random townie with a gun.

Monster/NPC creation seems to come down to “make it up and have fun.” Which is nice. I loved that about Numenera and Cypher but I didn’t like the task resolution enough to keep playing.

I absolutely love Dramatic Tasks, Social Conflict, and Quick Encounters. Straightforward and light subsystems that can be used or not. No more pointless attrition fights.

Setting Rules are great. It looks like Savage Worlds could do fantasy superheroes even better than that other game. Use SWADE and the Fantasy companion with some of the setting rules from the Supers companion ported in. Ritual Magic and Cantrips make a lot more sense in SWADE than most other fantasy games. Hell, you could almost run it as 4E. Hmm…

And the support. Damn. Savage Rifts. Savage Pathfinder. Supers Companion. Fantasy Companion. All the older settings like Flash Gordon and 50 Fathoms and Spanish Main. Insane.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
So I have been running deadlands since it first came out and in every edition. Deadlands is a very visceral rpg with cards and bennies so it can be a bit harder to run online in my opinion. Combat is as they would say "fast, and fun" and never seems to get bogged down. The rules are fairly easy to understand but the edged that you use to create your character does give added complexity. One of the biggest difference that people need to get used to is the fact that spells, miracles, mad science are all doing the same thing you just fluff what your effects look like, so instead of 20 different damage spells of different power levels it is just one that you describe in different ways to give character.

The biggest thing to know as a marshall is when to give bennies. Bennies are rerolls, they are healing or damage mitigation they are boost. It is very important that characters feel like they can use them when needed but to still keep them worried. They start off with three but give them one when they do something cool, make a great quip, do something heroic, the list goes on. If they don't get bennies frequently enough then a lucky hit or two in combat might be able to ko them but if they get to many then they won't feel the challenge.

It is a horror setting but it plays a lot with tropes, don't shy away from them go ahead and have fun. I have had the mariachi as a player, an aged van Helsing, practically clint Eastwood, a long with a spiked dove, a gambler, and a ranch hand. The horror is a big element of the game as a slow creeping influence, your friend might come back as an undead trying to eat your brain, things that people whisper about around campfires become true but it can also get a little gonzo when your mad scientist is fighting a rattler and you are recreating a screen out of tremors.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Setting Rules are great. It looks like Savage Worlds could do fantasy superheroes even better than that other game.

And the support. Damn. Savage Rifts. Savage Pathfinder. Supers Companion. Fantasy Companion. All the older settings like Flash Gordon and 50 Fathoms and Spanish Main. Insane.
There handling of RIFTS is amazing, much better than the original (and much better balanced) in my opinion.
Supers are a very fun ruleset with the new source book they just came out with. Better than M&M in almost every way I can see why some like Champions and Hero better for some aspects

If you are going with an older setting just know that you will need to tweek some things. Flash Gordon was like halfway between this edition and the last so most things work fine my favorite however Rippers (think league of extraordinary gentlemen) takes some work due to all of the changes to how social works.

In my current game I have only had one tpk which I allowed everyone to keep there characters but have some ... Interesting downsides happen if they wanted due to damage dice exploding on explosives in an area with lots of combustible material

Reynard

Legend
Setting Rules are great. It looks like Savage Worlds could do fantasy superheroes even better than that other game. Use SWADE and the Fantasy companion with some of the setting rules from the Supers companion ported in. Ritual Magic and Cantrips make a lot more sense in SWADE than most other fantasy games.
I used it for a "The Boys meets The Black Company" con-campaign and it went great!

Remove ads