• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SAVE MY SPELL SLOTS!!!

Fallenibilis

First Post
Alright, so my DM recently decided in effort to balance the game he was going to remove the spell slots gained by spell caster via having a high ability score, unless we can provided him with a reason that this is a bad idea.

Now I know that this not a good idea but for the life of me i can't seem to be able establish a reason why this is so, thus I have turned to you folks to help me in this dilemma. So thank you in advance for any and all help your able to provide me! :D

Thanks Falleniblis

knottyprof

First Post
Is the issue liberally high ability scores? After all 18-19 grants 1 extra spell for 1st through 4th level spells per PHB pg 8. Even if a character manages to bump an ability score into the low 20s at most you could get 2 extra first and possibly second level spells and one extra spell up to level 6. It isn't like the character gets a spell at a spell level he does not normally have access to so even with an ability score of 20 the caster (assuming wizard or possibly cleric) would not gain access to the extra fifth level spell until the character reached 9th level.

Is he going to apply the same rule to NPCs and monsters? Why does he feel the bonus spells(s) upset game balance?

n00bdragon

First Post
Shrug and continue to play god with less spells per day. God does not care particularly. You might buy pearls of power if it really bothers you.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I took them out of my game, and it worked. Not what you want to hear, but perhaps it's a little comforting? No? Sorry. Maybe "it's not fun for me" is good enough. I doubt it will be, but it's the best reason I can give. As for balance, I can't help you. I don't think you need them, from that perspective. As always, play what you like :)

knottyprof

First Post
I guess when you are out of spells just go back to the inn or camp or where ever and let the other players your character is done for the day. Vancian system is a rather bad means of actually gaming spells but since it has been around since the beginning everyone is just used to it and accepts it.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
When I last played 3E, having reached 13th level my paladin received +1 bab and 7 hps. The Cleric received 3 7th level spells and 8 hps.

Sorry dude, trimming your bonus spells from ability scores is the DM going light on you - Imo high level spell casters in 3E need more than that to keep the game going smoothly.

Ahnehnois

First Post
No big deal. How often do you ever run out of useful spells? How much do bonus spells contribute anyway?

The main problem is that spellcasters aren't incentivized to max their casting stat, and many will turn to Dex and Con instead, producing an army of oddly athletic wizards.

I would, however, caution that whatever balance issues might be perceived, this kind of change is unlikely to affect them. The only plausible mechanism by which such a change could really accomplish anything is if it spooked caster players into being overly conservative with spell slots. There are much better avenues for change.

Herzog

Adventurer
It means bards and other casters that start with 0 spells known are severely redused in power. I expect the effect on wizards and clerics to be less severe.

steenan

Adventurer
I think that taking away bonus slots from primary casters is a good step towards balance. Of course, it makes them weaker, but they stay at the top anyway.

As a player, I wouldn't argue against it. I would ask for some kind of compensation, though - something that boosts casters at lowest levels and helps them keep the magical flavor with decreased number of spells available.
Maybe unlimited cantrips (like in Pathfinder), or bonus 1st level slots equal to casting stat modifier, or something similar.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads