• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Save Nebin!

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Isn't there a tolkienish root for the word Gnome- something like "the wise one" or "the knowledgable one"?

That might fit the Bardic lore ability, and the old bardic tradition of being the memory of the community.

Actually, I think the +1 to Illusion DCs makes a gnome illusionist much more likely and playable than having favored class: illusionist. If you are going to be a wizard, you're not going to want to sacrifice caster level by multiclassing.

Gez

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Isn't there a tolkienish root for the word Gnome- something like "the wise one" or "the knowledgable one"?

Greece, on behalf of all its citizens, past, present, and future, thanks you for saying its language is so good it was invented by our beloved Professor.

But honestly, it's a bit older than JRR.

The only link between Tolkien and the Gnomes is that he thought of using the word "Gnome" for the Noldors. But, as everyone here knows, Tolkien was worried by the Disney-esque image of fairies people had of the creatures he depicted. Going back to the sources of these myths, Tolkien didn't wanted childish garden dwarfs and santa elfs to spring to the mind of his readers. So, he changed dwarfs to dwarves and elfs to elves (and found it wasn't enough -- he explained later he should have rather used alf and dvergr); but "gnomves" didn't sounded right, so, he ditched the name entirely. Or so -- gnome, nome, nolmor, nolbor, noldor...

Gimble

First Post
Sometimes you just can't stop the meteor from wiping out the dinosaurs...

Especially when that meteor is one tightly packed ball of raw gnomish sexuality, AKA yours truly.

Nebin

Explorer
Gimble said:
Sometimes you just can't stop the meteor from wiping out the dinosaurs...

Especially when that meteor is one tightly packed ball of raw gnomish sexuality, AKA yours truly.

And to think I remember when Gimppy used to tinkle his bed at night . Wait that was last night....... I am and always will be the Gnomish sex god (just ask Lidda, Mialee etc.!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads