• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

save or die 3.5

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
So that's why... after a while, it's impossible to keep up with the FAQ. :(

If it's any consolation, I run Mirror Image per the PHB, and I allow invisible attackers to bestow flanking bonuses :)

FAQ. Peh.

-Hyp.

A'koss

Explorer
Save or Die is good...it reminds us that with a simple roll of the die (no pun intended), any PC can be annihilated. Kind of like in real life, y'know?
Don't play a lot of HL games do you Tom?

There is a reason why many of us who do don't like them. At very high and epic levels they are better than many spells of greater spell level because they ignore HPs entirely. They can make entire encounters hinge on a single roll and can generate a serious lack of fun at the table (on both sides of the screen). And you know every HL spellcaster is going to throw Save or Die spells when the PCs encounter them. It's so desirable that most HL tactics work toward making the SoD spells work better - stat buffs, time stop, disjunction, dispels, etc.

"Oh, I'm dead again?!?"

Cheers,

A'koss.

Etan Moonstar

First Post
The message trick is only going to work with a DM who doesn't know his rules too well. Mirror images, according to the SRD, disappear when struck (i.e. hit by a targetted source of damage, either spell or weapon--the SRD says nothing about an attack roll being required). The FAQ only points out that area effect spells (such as fireball) do not count as striking images. As message spells do not -strike- their targets, they do not therefore destroy mirror images.

But if your DM lets you get away with it and doesn't read these boards, more power to ya. :)

Numion

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:

It cut right through death ward. There aren't many logical ways of fixing this.

And spell turning doesn't help against it.

I've seen many an adventurer and BBEGs fall to Disitegrate due to the fact it's nigh impossible to protect against. Mirror Image, Displacement and what else?

I like the new Disintegrate.

Numion

First Post
Grog said:

But against monsters, if the monster has more than 115 HP or so (as most 3.5 monsters CR 12 and up probably will), he can survive the Disintegrate even if he fails his save.

Thats still a crapload of damage to the monster, even if its not dead.

God forbid that the mage should just work as part of the group trying to kill the monster, instead doing it all by himself :rolleyes:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Numion said:
Thats still a crapload of damage to the monster, even if its not dead.

How significant the damage is depends on the monster. In 3e, it would be roughly equivalent to a full round attack from a reasonably maximized 8th level fighter/barbarian (assuming 2d6/level for disintegrate, it's an average of 77 points of damage on a failed save. . . and the odds of the wizard missing the touch attack or the target saving are probably at least as good as the odds of the 8th level fighter missing one attack). Put like that, it doesn't sound nearly so impressive. And stacked up to an 11th level fighter's full attack, it may well look downright anemic.

God forbid that the mage should just work as part of the group trying to kill the monster, instead doing it all by himself :rolleyes:

No kidding. Wizards should never do anything by themselves. And we all know that there aren't any other spells that let the wizard contribute a modicum of damage to combat. Whatever happened to "options, not restrictions." :rolleyes:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Mirror images, according to the SRD, disappear when struck (i.e. hit by a targetted source of damage, either spell or weapon--the SRD says nothing about an attack roll being required).

The SRD does not contain the rules of Dungeons and Dragons. The SRD contains rules "compatible with the d20 System version of Dungeons & Dragons and various other roleplaying games from Wizards of the Coast."

The rules of D&D are found in the PHB, DMG, and MM.

And according to the entry for Mirror Image in the PHB, "Any successful attack roll against a figment destroys it."

-Hyp.

Fenes 2

First Post
Grog said:

True, PCs can still kill NPCs with the spell... But PCs are usually fighting monsters, not NPCs.

Not in my game. NPCs make up over 90% of the opponents in my campaigns, closer to 95% if I count the odd humanoid among NPCs.

Remove ads