Save-or Suck Spells, HP, and the Condition Track

WyzardWhately

First Post
KarinsDad said:
It has a roleplaying problem though.

In combat, as the BBEG keeps yelling "Get out of my head", all of the mooks know what is going on and when the BBEG is finally Charmed and such, a lieutenant mook should be smart enough to realize what is going on.

Out of combat, same thing. Instead of the merchant being instantly Charmed, it takes several rounds and his guards should get suspicious as he keeps yelling "Get out of my head" before finally selling everything to the PCs at half price.

Certain types of mind affecting spells really do need to be somewhat hidden and fairly quick, otherwise they lose their real advantage.

Unless, like I suggested above, the innkeep is a Minion-level adversary and only has two spaces on his condition track - Up and Down.

Szatany

First Post
KarinsDad said:
It has a roleplaying problem though.

In combat, as the BBEG keeps yelling "Get out of my head", all of the mooks know what is going on and when the BBEG is finally Charmed and such, a lieutenant mook should be smart enough to realize what is going on.

Out of combat, same thing. Instead of the merchant being instantly Charmed, it takes several rounds and his guards should get suspicious as he keeps yelling "Get out of my head" before finally selling everything to the PCs at half price.

Certain types of mind affecting spells really do need to be somewhat hidden and fairly quick, otherwise they lose their real advantage.
How is that a problem? [scratches shiny metal head]

In combat a wizard uses his charmed minion to fight anyway. And outside combat he better charm when the boss is alone so his subordinates are fooled. It actually makes more sense.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
WyzardWhately said:
I kind of think there is, and I've hypothesized a couple different ways it could work.
I like the first option, HP comparison... it's something I've been considering for quite some time. Despite its popularity, I'm not a great fan of the condition track.

Remove ads