• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Save the Hive, Save the ENWorld!

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Pretty much but "Dark Matter" sounds cooler and eviler.
Not quite.

Dark matter is some sort of matter out there that's dark, i.e. we cannot see it. We cannot detect it... but we know it's out there, because we can see how there is some mass out there exerting gravity. It's a fancy word for "some unknown stuff out there".

Exotic matter, however, matter that doesn't behave normal baryonic matter, i.e. it is exotic. It has strange properties like negative mass, don't interact with normal matter... it's a fancy catch-all for "weird speculative stuff" (stuff as in matter, i.e. things you can touch).

Now, dark matter may consist of exotic matter, but we simply don't know beyond "there's something out there" - perhaps dark matter isn't exotic matter but something completely different.

On the black holes in the LHC: If they're really resulting from the experiment (what I doubt) - They're tiny. Really tiny. Like a Planck length (~10^-35 m - atoms are around ~10^-10 m). And they only weigh as much as a atom, i.e. have neglegible gravity. I'm more afraid of getting under a car, winning in the lottery and seeing a nuclear war - in one day! - than these micro-buggers.

Trust me, I study physics! (yeah, I'm a undergrad, so perhaps you shouldn't trust me) :p

Cheers, LT.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
It's a strange day when you learn about advanced particle physics by reading a thread on a dnd website, but it's also sad day since it also helped destroy the sensationalism of the "OMFG CERN IS GOING TO KILL US ALL!!!!!!!11111!!" conspiracy theory.

[sblock="The More You Know"]
MoreYouKnow.jpg

[/sblock]

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
What kind of class is it?
A very unique one, that utilizes an ability that is not standard for DnD; Animus (the spirit/soul). It is called the Soul Channeler and gains class abilities and winds (similar spells, but different enough to not be called spells). I'll hyperlink to it here when I post it up in my Races of the Tale thread. I'll be done with the class mechanics very soon, I just need to complete the mechanics for one last class ability and it'll be half done.

The other half will be more time consuming; picking which spells to modify as winds and updating them to reflect as such.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
It's a strange day when you learn about advanced particle physics by reading a thread on a dnd website, but it's also sad day since it also helped destroy the sensationalism of the "OMFG CERN IS GOING TO KILL US ALL!!!!!!!11111!!" conspiracy theory.

Sorry to disappoint you Relique :D. Yeah, the chances of them actually doing something apocalyptic is pretty slim. I mean I had 1/15000000 chances of becoming a multimillionare couple of weeks ago and compared to the dangers of CERN that was a sure shot :D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads