• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saving Throws as Defenses miss 1 situation

xechnao

First Post
The accidental one. Yeah, this one is important for the humor.

I suppose they can treat this with a balance skill roll or something regarding situations where it is about Reflexes. So would you like to have a balance or reflex skill?

But what about Will Saves such as witnessing your wife or husband cheating on you and resisting an emotional burst? Or do adventurers simply do not care? I suppose it is on roleplaying now but I did enjoy Will saves on situations like this. Resist booze for the aleholic dwarf so that he gets out of that inn and go on adventuring...I guess now ale quality will be attacking the dwarf's Will Defense.
Heh

Gort

Explorer
Wait... you required will saves for that kind of stuff? Wow.

"That was a really sad book, will save DC 14 or cry".

Moggthegob

First Post
ou sir, have clearly never seen the funnier tropes of DnD 3E or before roleplaying. I know i as a DM have people roll will save or reflex saves all the time as incidentals just for fun.

I agree, if its me as a DM attacking a Will defense those situations lose their fun.

The Right Word

First Post
Couldn't a DM just ask you to roll the attack yourself? You're not attacking yourself, certainly, the DM would simply set the bonus and your roll determines how well you were able to resist. That would seem to add some of the fun back (though it's not a perfect solution).

Gloombunny

First Post
If you really want this, just have everyone write down their Will/Reflex/Fortitude defenses -10, and then have them roll 1d20 and add that against a static "attack" value.

Just because WotC flipped the saves/attacks roll doesn't mean you can't flip it back when you want.

Destil

Explorer
Bring back THAC0!

Well, ideally rolling high is always good.

And of course you'd want the player to roll this, opposed to the DM. Therefore you'll need to use some sort of math that can convert your high roll into the ability to avoid hitting yourself, instead of hitting yourself... like To Hit Armor Class 0, only in reverse!

Therefore I take this as 100% assurance that THAC0, dressed up with a nice WoWish name, will be in 4E, used for things like emergency reflex saves.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
xechnao said:
I suppose it is on roleplaying now but I did enjoy Will saves on situations like this. Resist booze for the aleholic dwarf so that he gets out of that inn and go on adventuring...I guess now ale quality will be attacking the dwarf's Will Defense.
This used to always be the case. Roleplaying was paramount and there were no behavior for players to follow if they missed a roll. Either the Player had PC control or they didn't. No, you act this way cause you missed the roll. Morale is a case in point.

Here's how you can do it though:
Make rules for your character and your character alone. Make them what you want them to be. Use your best judgment. When you feel it is time to roll, roll.

If you are running an alcoholic dwarf, apply to yourself a willpower roll not to take at least one drink. Perhaps require another roll with a penalty according to number of previous drinks. Get as convoluted and precise to the factors you deem involved as you wish. Wine one way, beer another. It's all you. Then just roll, baby.

tombowings

First Post
howandwhy99 said:
This used to always be the case. Roleplaying was paramount and there were no behavior for players to follow if they missed a roll. Either the Player had PC control or they didn't. No, you act this way cause you missed the roll. Morale is a case in point.

Here's how you can do it though:
Make rules for your character and your character alone. Make them what you want them to be. Use your best judgment. When you feel it is time to roll, roll.

If you are running an alcoholic dwarf, apply to yourself a willpower roll not to take at least one drink. Perhaps require another roll with a penalty according to number of previous drinks. Get as convoluted and precise to the factors you deem involved as you wish. Wine one way, beer another. It's all you. Then just roll, baby.

We use saves like these for flaws. It makes things really interesting, crazy, chaotic and fun (plus you get a feat). One of the reasons I love the group I'm in. It's quite amazing for the Paladin to have to roll a fail a Will save when someone offends him or insults his ego.

Remove ads