Saving throws improve?

Brix

Explorer
SAving throws

Three presumptions
* Saving throws stay ability based
* abilities increase seldom (let's say every 4 levels as per 3.5 €)
* You only use core (the "old school" stuff)

> The you don't need scaling

Since it's defending ability score vs. magic ability score

> the same is true for "skill check"
The Challenge for performing a "common task" is equal on every level (it becomes slightly easier as the ability increases, making it possible to carry out harder tasks)
Master DCs have a range of 23-26.

I'd say saving throws do not scale!

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Monster save DCs in the Bestiary (for low level monsters) range from 7 to 16, so I might say they raise but at a very slow rate (1:5? 1:10?)

Last edited:

Gold Roger

First Post
Assuming DC's never scale, the highest possible DC is 20 for a demon or simmilar that can have a score of up to 30 (+10).

As PC's can't go over 20 (+5) I hope there's a slight improvement in saves at very high level.

Otherwise Pit fiends and the like will be near unbeatable at even the highest level.

Brix

Explorer
Gold Roger & Jack99.
I guess you are both right.
Roger's estimation is correct, but does not take magical items in account.

Kraydak

First Post
An interesting note: in 1st/2nd editions, people got better and better at resisting spells and stuff. This was good (if more than occasionally aggravating for spell casters), because the stuff you were trying to resist got scarier and scarier (except for the never-to-be-sufficiently-accursed-low-level-Hold-Person). 3e changed the picture entirely, with saves steadily getting harder at higher levels.

I'd like a return to the previous setup.

Remove ads