• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saw Hellboy II at preview

Wombat

First Post
I saw Hellboy II the other day -- it was a good movie, but nowhere near as good as the first one.

Visually it was brilliant, especially the market scene. The array of creature types was brilliant. There are also some great, funny lines. Lots of fun!

On the down side, this film doesn't have the strong central theme that the first one did. It has a plot with some good twists and it has some decent themes, but there isn't the emotional investment of the first. That and Manning simply becomes a rather boring joke.

Well, there is room for a third, and lots of other potential BPRD characters that can be added. If del Toro is up for a third, I'll probably see it.

The_lurkeR

First Post
Saw this the other night and have to agree with the general sentiment here, in that it was just "OK". I was dissappointed and definitely liked the first one better.

This one had it's moments, but also felt cliche and awkward at times. It was a film where I couldn't really "get into it", and felt like a concious spectator the whole time. So while I enjoyed the visuals and some of the character interaction, in the end it's mostly forgettable.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Finally got to see it today. Visually, it was fantastic, but story wise, I found it to drag somewhere in the middle. Selma Blair was better this time around, and seemed to have more personality as a fully-fleshed out partner to HB than as the mopey-broody Liz of HB-1, and of course, there was the Liz-related plot twist.

Although I was disappointed not to hear David Hyde-Peirce's voice coming from Abe, I did like Doug Jones, and thought he made a good substitute. I just wish that Johann Krauss sounded a bit more like the fish in American Dad.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads