• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saw, the movie, room encounter.

Nebten

First Post
I need help trying to set up a room in a dungeon that gives a Saw type feel. I have just a few ideas but nothing that makes it complete and they are just rip-offs from the movie. I've read through the Tomb of Horrors, and I might use some elements from their anti-magic room (28 I think).

If it makes a difference, it'll be for a high level group of 5 PCs with an NPC in a 3.5 game. They will have 2 artifact weapons, but they don't do much except a lot of damage.

I plan on having them locked in a one-way anti-magic field room (works for DM, but not PCs after all, its "magic".) Then I plan on trapping the NPC in some type of device that will dismember her if they don't complete "the game." (much like the black man in Saw III). Or they all can be inhaling poison and need to get antiode through the games (like Saw II).

One such "game" would be where a PC would have to do a Slight of Hand/ Dex check to grab something and pull it before he is struck by a bolt of some sort (like the shotgun trap in Saw III).

Another one would be like using the maze trap in Saw VI with 2 people guiding by injuring themsleves in the process. Probably use Con checks to assist in that.

But I want to be able for the players to figure things out, not just roll dice & succed or failure.

Any thoughts please post'em. Also, don't worry about the PCs. They have plently of healing, regeneration scrolls and even a staff of life. So while it may look like a TPK, I just want to figure out something different.

Infiniti2000

First Post
It's going to be hard to outthink all those SAW movies. Have your players seen them? If not, then go ahead and rip them off. You should never feel bad about stealing ideas like that. Your job is to make the game fun, not original.

The only ideas I have are to suggest using old world tools and such. Can you dream up some 'traps' involving things like a mill wheel, or perhaps tie a hostage in between two teams of horses (that will pull her apart), or use a forge somehow? I'm not sure these go into a dungeon, but given that it's high-level maybe this 'dungeon' could in fact be extraplanar somehow.

For more inspiration, you can check out Cube.

Remove ads