Say it Ain't So! (V for Vendetta movie news)

FraserRonald

Explorer
From SFWatcher.com (thread: http://www.sfwatcher.com/sfwatcher/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43)

"V for Vendetta: a script under serious consideration by Joel Silver and the Wachowski brothers, is from the pen of the same author who created The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It is set in an alternate future where Germany won World War II and a vigilante has risen to try and free England from the fascist yoke."

Okay, so basically remove the heart and soul of the story and turn it into British Batman, Partisan! Good God. Please, someone stop the madness.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Alright, so, aside from the loss of the element where England became fascist under its own will due to threat of nuclear war, what is so different? We don't know that they'll eliminate the anarchy element or the woman who V teaches to follow in his footsteps. I'd say it's a little too early to start panicking. Wait until more details emerge, then panic.

Demiurge out.

FraserRonald

Explorer
demiurge1138 said:
Alright, so, aside from the loss of the element where England became fascist under its own will due to threat of nuclear war, what is so different? We don't know that they'll eliminate the anarchy element or the woman who V teaches to follow in his footsteps. I'd say it's a little too early to start panicking. Wait until more details emerge, then panic.

Demiurge out.

I'm basing my panic on 3 points.

1. The writer of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." Excellent. We know he can eliminate the charm and erudition of an Alan Moore work.

2. The aforementioned League and "From Hell." Hollywood ain't doing so hot with the Alan Moore properties.

3. I can only guess, but I'm thinking they steered clear of the fascist Britain for politcal reasons, which shows a certain lack of integrity (in my opinion) and impacts hugely on many of the main characters.

So, please excuse me while I panic.

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
On that first point, I think that they're saying that the "same pen that wrote League of Extrordinary Gentlemen" was Alan Moore, not the screenwriter that did the movie. The wording is vague, though.

Demiurge out.

Michael Tree

First Post
Knee-jerk response: It's going to suck wet farts out of dead pidgeons.

Rational, well thought out logical response: It's probably going to suck wet farts out of dead pidgeons. :D This is based on every single other Alan Moore adaptation, and Hollywood's track record in general.

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Why did they write out the lizardlike aliens wearing human makeup bent on global domination? Talk about lame, we won't even get the half human/half alien babies this time. I say flush it!

FraserRonald

Explorer
Baraendur said:
Why did they write out the lizardlike aliens wearing human makeup bent on global domination? Talk about lame, we won't even get the half human/half alien babies this time. I say flush it!

No, this is "V for Vendetta", when the aliens return for revenge! I think the Saint might be involved.

And on that note, cue the music . . .

FraserRonald

Explorer
demiurge1138 said:
On that first point, I think that they're saying that the "same pen that wrote League of Extrordinary Gentlemen" was Alan Moore, not the screenwriter that did the movie. The wording is vague, though.

Demiurge out.

Good point. Only two reasons to panic . . .

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

Richards

Legend
If they do this like the graphic novel, I do hope they manage to tone down the accent of that one guy in the last half of the book, the guy who kills the man that Evey lives with after V deserts her. Man, does his accent take some deciphering! I just know it would go right over my head if it was being spoken aloud at normal speed instead of written out for me to puzzle over.

I also hope they don't show who V really is behind the mask. That would really ruin it.

Johnathan

Wraith Form

Explorer
Baraendur said:
Actually, based on the horrors that are "Hell" and "Leage" I wouldn't be overly shocked to see them written into this movie somehow.

Guy Fawkes, the half-alien anarchist?

Remove ads