• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SCAG Legality is Posted

devlin1

Explorer
It's more than I expected. It's also exactly what I wanted re: winged tieflings. Yay, consistency!

Excited that my rogue 1/fighter 8 can take the swashbuckler rogue archetype two levels from now. And I may -- may -- respec my 9th-level bard as a bladesinger.

kalani

First Post
It's evergreen! And I love the season split. And everyone gets at least one rebuild at any level. Nice.
Not entirely true. While there is no explicit expiry date on this rebuild, as Travis stated on FB "the rebuild is not intended to be banked". As such, all L5 characters are expected to use the rebuild "nowish". If you don't have access to the book I don't think you will be penalized. For everyone else, I expect that so long as you rebuild your character before reaching the next character level, you should be fine. Once season 4 starts however, I suspect that this higher-level rebuild option will become void.

I should also point out that it is a one-time rebuild as well, for those who think they can tinker with the options before settling on something they like - so choose carefully. If you are uncertain whether you want to do something or not, run some mock scenario's with your proposed build before rebuilding your actual character.

Characters going forward do not benefit from this higher-level rebuild. This rebuild is a special option intended to make season 1 and season 2 characters (and higher level season 3 characters) able to use resources they should have been able to use while they were still 4th level (and lower)

Regarding the Update: I must admit - this is a far more generous inclusion than I expected. While I hoped that the book might become evergreen, I never for a moment suspected that high-level characters would be granted a free rebuild. I like how this rules update also states that characters must choose either the evergreen SCAG, or their season's exclusive character options. Nice touch.

Last edited:

warfteiner

First Post
Not afraid of them, but they can quickly unbalance encounter design. Many of the adventures are lethal enough already without our designers having to incorporate all those unneeded hurdles.

Plus.... they're just creepy. ;)

This is going to be great news to share tomorrow at the anniversary party! Need to make sure to have all available copies of the SCAG on the shelf, as it will sell like hotcakes once the players find out about it.

Time to rebuild the Armored Sorclock that bears my name...

BTW, what's the ruling on applying a rebuild to a Variant Human and prerequisites of their feat selection? Some guidance will be useful in handling all of the rebuilds I expect to happen.

kalani

First Post
Variant humans must meet the prerequisites of their racial feat at 1st level once class and racial features are factored in. You couldn't take Heavy Armor Mastery for example, unless you are proficient in heavy armor. As far as the rebuild goes, they must still meet the requirements at 1st level for their Human feat. This places slight limitations on feat choice at 1st level (Spell Sniper, HAM, MAM, and the like).

If you rebuild a variant human to be a different race, you lose access to your bonus feat. This might mean altering your feat selection at 4th level+. I use this method a lot myself, such as by starting my character as a variant human, and rebuilding them to another race at 4th level while keeping the same feat as my 4th level feat.

devlin1

Explorer
AL is still afraid of fliers.

A playable race with a flight speed would warp all organized-play adventures like a gravity well. Every adventure would have to take into account whether flying PCs could totally derail it. They're not afraid; they're just being responsible.

Also, it would've been pretty nonsensically inconsistent to allow flying tieflings but not aarakocra.

Remove ads