• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SCAG Thread

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Which means that the Story Origin material is excluded not the SCAG. *shrugs*

Well, yeah, that's what 'use only one rules source' means.

If it is important to you that you be able to use the Elemental Evil backgrounds for your character, then you can make do without the rules options in the SCAG.

It's really no different from the 4th edition Encounters system of restricting legal characters to the Essentials books and the most recent hardcover; granted, it seems like most people ignored that restriction, but that didn't make it a bad rule, just not one anybody felt like obeying.

--
Pauper

tila

First Post
Well, yeah, that's what 'use only one rules source' means.

If it is important to you that you be able to use the Elemental Evil backgrounds for your character, then you can make do without the rules options in the SCAG.

It's really no different from the 4th edition Encounters system of restricting legal characters to the Essentials books and the most recent hardcover; granted, it seems like most people ignored that restriction, but that didn't make it a bad rule, just not one anybody felt like obeying.

--
Pauper

Right. So I guess my point is, they AREN'T excluding SCAG, they are excluding EEPG.

I'm totally cool with everything you just posted... I just don't believe SCAG should be considered a "story origin" book. I would call it more a "regional origin" book if anything, and therefore it should be available to all story origins...

This was why I posted that.

kalani

First Post
Actually, you can use the Elemental Backgrounds (in the link above) with either the SCAG or EEPC. You just can't use the SCAG and EEPC together. The online articles are usable with both.

Burticusb

First Post
It really feels like no one knows what the actual ruling is... and that right there tells me that this is already too mixed up.

Just allow the rules as written by the company that created the game...

These are not rules like the Aarakocra where it explicitly states that you need to get special DM permission and it is an obviously abuse-able thing.

Anyways, I've said my piece, I'm done trying to defend this, it is just my opinion... which many may view as wrong, but I'm done trying to defend it.

Last edited:

Burticusb

First Post
This is what you don't seem to understand. The company that created the game...is the one that wanted the restriction.

Well, they too are wrong... or maybe they are the only one wrong, either way, I feel both "books" should be allowed.

And it will only become worse as they release more and more content this way...

Again, that's just my opinion, you don't have to like it... nor do you need to pick it apart...

I've said I'm done defending this thing now 3-4 times, yet people keep trying to tell me what certain phrases of how I've worded things are wrong.

I'm tired of this, look you all know what it is I'm after or looking for, agree with it or not, the fact of the matter is... as is, this rule has caused issues already at my table... and I expect it to only become worse down the road... for no reason what-so-ever.

It does not matter to me who came up with the rule, I feel it is wrong... it does not "add" to the game.

Thematically, if a player comes up to me and says I want to play an Air Gensai Stormlord... well, that just makes sense. And really, it's not a broken build...

We already have to know the rules from all of the books/online guides anyways, now we need to know everything from all of the source books/online guides plus what can or can not be mixed...

This is worse... and that is my opinion.

Fin.

Last edited:

Sure you can. You can't be a Goliath Purple Knight, of course, but the Genasi are in Appendix A of the Princes of the Apocalypse book, which was *not* excluded from the rules if you choose to use the SCAG.

Since Appendix A is a significant rules expansion, that is parsing hairs. We'll be sure to call out that appendix in the next edition of the ALPG. If you want to argue with your DM that such a character is legal, you are welcome to try to convince them until the next version of the ALPG at which time your character would no longer be legal (and the window for rebuild will also likely end).

Undrhil

Explorer
Since Appendix A is a significant rules expansion, that is parsing hairs. We'll be sure to call out that appendix in the next edition of the ALPG. If you want to argue with your DM that such a character is legal, you are welcome to try to convince them until the next version of the ALPG at which time your character would no longer be legal (and the window for rebuild will also likely end).

Except, if a DM says it's not legal, I can make the minimum change to my character to bring it back to legality, meaning changing my race or my class to no longer be an illegal combination. I just find it telling that they specifically called out the EEPG but *not* Apprendix A of PotA. Do they *really* want to stop people from buying future resource books by saying "If you are using this one, you can't use any other ones"?

Oh! Since I have your attention here: is the "Restriction: Knighthood" portion of Purple Dragon Knight fighter subclass supposed to mean that I have to be a Noble variant Knight in order to take that sub class?

I just find it telling that they specifically called out the EEPG but *not* Apprendix A of PotA. Do they *really* want to stop people from buying future resource books by saying "If you are using this one, you can't use any other ones"?

I wrote the text, so if there's a lack of clarity, its my fault. The intent was not to allow you to use Appendix A (which has almost everything in it that the EEPC has) and the SCAG together. Yes, the intent is to tell you that you cannot mix books and if that means you don't buy one of them, so be it. I would hope that given the need to have more than one character you might want the book anyway, or maybe just based on the fact that you'd the cool book if nothing else you'd pick it up.

As for the Knight question, that's a rules question not specific to the AL, so I have no official comment. I read it personally as saying you must be a member of that order and do what they say, not that you have to be a Knight variant of noble or Knight of the Order (SCAG background); though you might want to since it makes sense.

Remove ads