• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scaled Aid Other Rolls

Foxman

First Post
When we played 3.5e, we used a scaled Aid other system:

As opposed to giving a flat +2 bonus for a 10 or better on an Aid Other check, use the following table:
Roll | Bonus
Below 0 = -2 (max)
0-4 = -1
5-9 = 0
10-14 = +1
15-19 = +2
20-24 = +3
25+ = +4 (max)

Given the current system do you think this would work for 4e - IE: is it balanced? Will it scale out across up to epic or would it get a bit silly at epic levels? (always rolling 25 or higher)
If you were to create a scaled system what would it look like?

ricardo440

First Post
I did use a scaled system for when I ran a high level 3rd ed game.

I jsut went 10 = +2 and for every extra 10 you get and additional +2

Starfox

Hero
I use the same system as the OP in 3.5, but I am not planning to continue doing it. It gives too wide a spread of results.

What I do intend to use is an "interchangeable main character" system. If several characters cooperate on a task, they get to decide who actually does the task and who assists after the roll. This lets them avoid really bad rolls, which is often more useful than rolling very high.

Syrsuro

First Post
I use the same system as the OP in 3.5, but I am not planning to continue doing it. It gives too wide a spread of results.

What I do intend to use is an "interchangeable main character" system. If several characters cooperate on a task, they get to decide who actually does the task and who assists after the roll. This lets them avoid really bad rolls, which is often more useful than rolling very high.

I wonder if this won't just make it too easy (with three rolls you are almost assured of one of the three being at least a 10 and most likely a 14+), add on an additional +4 for a couple of assists and you are almost never going to be lower than a 20 and usually in the 25+ range.

What about tossing out the 'assist' rules as they are and simply allowing those who assist to roll extra dice, but using the modifier from the primary character. This gives him a huge benefit (essentially one reroll per assisting character) but not as huge a benefit as you describe (as they no longer have the advantage of the +2 bonuses.)

Carl

Remove ads