Scales of War #1 Rescue at Rivenroar IC

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Sneaky Goblin #1 Scorch

Hmm... Where would he rather be right now- that's right, anywhere but here. Scorch stabs Magnus in the gut and then attempts to get the hell out of dodge... Alas he misses Magnus by a country mile.

Wumpus attacks again (OA) but alas misses.

Combat Challenge from Magnus and an AoO from Freego please. Do I roll these in future?

[sblock=Scorch Combat]
Standard: Short sword Magnus- Miss.
Move: O21.
[/sblock]

Sneaky Goblin #3 Arsonaround

Here doggy, doggy... Arsonaround rushes forward and slices at Gorm- the spirit dog disappears leaving the Goblin scratching his head.

"Kill da elf!" It snaps at the Gripples the Hobgoblin.

[sblock=Arsonaround Combat]
Minor: Draw Shortsword.
Move: J39.
Standard: Short sword Gorm- Hit 11 damage- Gorm disappears.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #1 Bar Fight

Turn: 3

Initiative (* = Next to play)

26 Sneaky Goblin #1
26 Sneaky Goblin #3
23 Magnus (TSS)*
21 Freggo (Goken)
19 Hobgoblin #8
19 Hobgoblin #10
15 Viator (Raven)
13 Kalimaru (Hairychin)
11 Kyalia (Thanee)
10 Ah-shahran (Tiornys)
0 Patrons of the Inn
0 Fire

HP & Conditions

PCs
Ah-shahran 30/30 Surges 8/8
Freggo 27/17 (4 Temp HP) Surges 9/9
Kalimaru 25/25 Surges 8/8
Kyalia 26/26 (4 Temp HP) Surges 8/8
Magnus 38/27 Surges 13/13
Viator 26/15 Surges 8/8

Monsters
Sneaky Goblin #1- 20 damage taken- Bloodied. Marked (Magnus) & Aegis of Ensnarement (Freggo).
Sneaky Goblin #2- 44 damage taken- DEAD.
Sneaky Goblin #3
Hobgoblin #1- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #2- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #3- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #4- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #5- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #6- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #7- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #8
Hobgoblin #9- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #10
Put out the Flames Skill Challenge

Actions To Date

Turn #1

Sneaky Goblin #1- Move on to bar (R27). Light 2nd Torch. Throw Torch behind bar (M29), it burns.

Sneaky Goblin #2- Burst in to Inn & Move (N42). Throw Bitumen Torch Viator- Hit 1 HO Fire damage and the Torch burns.

Magnus- Draw Warhammer. Leap on the bar and to R30. Charge Scorch- Hit 4 damage & Marked.

Freggo- Move W27. Luring Strike Hob#3 Doofus- Hit & Killed, and Shift to V25. Aegis of Ensnarement Smeg.

Hob#1- Move V24. Longsword Freggo- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#2- Shift U26. Longsword Freggo- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#4- Charge Berk- Hit & Killed.

Hob#5- Move N41. Charge Viator- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#6- Move N41. Charge Viator- Hit 5 damage.

Hob#7- Move N41. Ready Action.

Viator- Move Torch M42. Fey Step W36. Dimensional Scramble- Gah, Fiery Pete, Thug, Gut Spike & Trev- Gut Spike & Trev killed.

Ah-shahran- Move O37. Twin Panther- Gah & Fiery Pete- Hit both, Gah killed, Fiery Pete 6 damage. Summon Spirit Companion U25 4 Temp HP Freggo.

Kalimaru- Draw Axe. Shroud Fiery Pete. Move with Athletics check- Fail Q41.

Kyalia- Jump up on to table and Move P40. Quarry Fiery Pete. Twin Strike Fiery Pete- Hit & Hit for 10 damage- Bloodied.

Bar Patrons- Run around screaming, or flee, or hide. Wumpus attacks Hobgoblin Smeg- Miss.

Fire- Liquor cabinet explodes- fire spreads. Fire on the stairs behind Fiery Pete does the same.

Turn #2

Sneaky Goblin #1- Draw Shortsword. Shortsword Magnus- Hit 11 damage.

Sneaky Goblin #2- Throw Bitumen Torch Kyalia- Miss. Draw Shortsword, Retreat in to storeroom taking 3 Fire damage en route.

Magnus- Reaping Strike Scorch- Hit 4 damage & Marked.

Freggo- Sword of Sigils Gronk & Smeg- Miss both.

Hob#4- Move Q42. Longsword Kalimaru- Miss.

Hob#8- Move N26. Charge Magnus- Miss.

Hob#9- Move P29. Move R33.

Viator- Forceful Push Grokka Q34- Prone. Move R34. Force Punch Grokka- Hit & Dead.

Kalimaru- Aspect of the Soaring Hawk. Battleaxe Thug- 13 damage & Dead. Move U33.

Kyalia- Move over Fire I41. Evasive Strike Fiery Pete- Hit 25 damage- Dead. Shift K41.

Ah-shahran- Move O42. Spirit Companion- Gorm Move S26. Spirit Infusion Freggo- Basic Melee Attack +2/+4 Scorch- Hit 11 damage- Bloodied. Call Spirit Companion J40 & 4 Temp HP Kyalia.

Bar Patrons- Mostly run, Ayella & Shadwick move to put out the fire, and scream for the PCs to help. Wumpus meanwhile attacks Scorch again- Hit 1 damage, still Bloodied.

Fire- Liquor cabinet explodes, behind the bar is raging. Seating are is also burning well with the fire spreading.

Put out the Flames Skill Challenge Starts Now.

Turn 3.

Sneaky Goblin #1- Shortsword Magnus- Miss. Move O21- Flee. AoO Wumpus- Miss. Combat Challenge Magnus- & AoO Freggo-

Sneaky Goblin #3- Draw Short sword. Move J39. Short sword Gorm- 11 damage & Gorm disappears.

Magnus-

[/sblock]

New Map

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/goonalan/Scales+of+War+#1+Rescue+at+Rivenroar/?g2_page=2

Magnus & Freego are up for AoO vs Scorch. Then it's Magnus' Turn- and remember you need to start putting the flames out somehow, see previous post.

Last edited:

Goken100

First Post
Freggo AO and Pre-Posted Turn

OOC: DM: Please do roll for future AOs, whatever helps speed things along. In fact, anyone is welcome to roll anything for me at any time if that helps. It doesn't matter to me who does the rolling, the probability is always the same. Besides, superstition is bad luck. ;)

Freggo swings at the fleeing goblin and connects for a solid hit. Another hit! I'm doing it! I'm fighting villainous monsters, even without magic! I guess drilling with the guard wasn't such a waste after all!

Realizing now that heroics sometimes involves less glamorous acts, Freggo sets his mind to stopping the roaring flames. Thinking back to some of the knowledge that his tutors tried to impart (while he was secretly reading tales of daring adventure), he believes that only high alcohol content liquids will actually burn. "Ho there bar workers! If you wish to battle the flames, use those great casks of ale right behind you! It will wash away the fire, you have my word of honor!"

Freggo then strides unflinching toward the flames himself. At least, in his mind's eye he strode unflinchingly. In actuality, anyone watching could see he was flinching a good deal... fire is hot! But he strode nonetheless, and concentrated on the magic at his command, wielded through his sword. If he could just apply the same forces that he uses to summon forth flames in order to extinquish them, maybe he can squelch them even more than the casks of ale would! Freggo, sweating and grimacing, gathers his power and sweeps forward with his blade and a choking shout, "MAGIC DO AS YOU WILL!"

[sblock=Mechanics]
Free Action: Opportunity Attack with Combat Advantage vs. Scorch, hits for 6 damage

Minor Action: Use History to recall fire fighting and impart advice to the bar workers. I have no idea why the check was rolled twice, maybe I clicked a button twice (I didn't think that I did).
Move Action: Move to O:28
Standard Action: Arcana to apply an altered version of Greenflame Blade to N:28 (Greenflame Blade does fire damage to enemies adjacent to the target.)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
OOC: When Gorm takes enough damage to disappear, I take a fixed amount of damage--at this level, 5. So Ah-shahran is at 30/25 HP

Goken100

First Post
Attacking Spirit Companions

OOC:
I had to look this up, so no worries about getting this wrong.
The Shaman's Spirit Companion is a Conjuration. If you look up the Conjuration keyword (on page 219-220 in the PH2 or in the Compendium) you'll see that Conjurations that can be attacked use the owner's defenses unless specified otherwise. So Arsonaround does not auto-hit, he must make an attack.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
OOC: DM: Please do roll for future AOs, whatever helps speed things along. In fact, anyone is welcome to roll anything for me at any time if that helps. It doesn't matter to me who does the rolling, the probability is always the same. Besides, superstition is bad luck. ;)

Freggo swings at the fleeing goblin and connects for a solid hit. Another hit! I'm doing it! I'm fighting villainous monsters, even without magic! I guess drilling with the guard wasn't such a waste after all!

[sblock=Mechanics]
Free Action: Opportunity Attack with Combat Advantage vs. Scorch, hits for 6 damage
[/sblock]

And Scorch is cut down, his body thumps on to the bar...

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #1 Bar Fight

26 Sneaky Goblin #3
23 Magnus (TSS)*
21 Freggo (Goken)
19 Hobgoblin #8
19 Hobgoblin #10
15 Viator (Raven)
13 Kalimaru (Hairychin)
11 Kyalia (Thanee)
10 Ah-shahran (Tiornys)
0 Patrons of the Inn
0 Fire

HP & Conditions

PCs
Ah-shahran 30/25 Surges 8/8
Viator 26/15 Surges 8/8

Monsters
Sneaky Goblin #1- 26 damage taken- DEAD.
Sneaky Goblin #3
Hobgoblin #1- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #2- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #3- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #4- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #5- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #6- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #7- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #8
Hobgoblin #9- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #10

Actions To Date

Turn #1

Sneaky Goblin #1- Move on to bar (R27). Light 2nd Torch. Throw Torch behind bar (M29), it burns.

Sneaky Goblin #2- Burst in to Inn & Move (N42). Throw Bitumen Torch Viator- Hit 1 HO Fire damage and the Torch burns.

Magnus- Draw Warhammer. Leap on the bar and to R30. Charge Scorch- Hit 4 damage & Marked.

Freggo- Move W27. Luring Strike Hob#3 Doofus- Hit & Killed, and Shift to V25. Aegis of Ensnarement Smeg.

Viator- Move Torch M42. Fey Step W36. Dimensional Scramble- Gah, Fiery Pete, Thug, Gut Spike & Trev- Gut Spike & Trev killed.

Ah-shahran- Move O37. Twin Panther- Gah & Fiery Pete- Hit both, Gah killed, Fiery Pete 6 damage. Summon Spirit Companion U25 4 Temp HP Freggo.

Kyalia- Jump up on to table and Move P40. Quarry Fiery Pete. Twin Strike Fiery Pete- Hit & Hit for 10 damage- Bloodied.

Bar Patrons- Run around screaming, or flee, or hide. Wumpus attacks Hobgoblin Smeg- Miss.

Fire- Liquor cabinet explodes- fire spreads. Fire on the stairs behind Fiery Pete does the same.

Turn #2

Sneaky Goblin #2- Throw Bitumen Torch Kyalia- Miss. Draw Shortsword, Retreat in to storeroom taking 3 Fire damage en route.

Viator- Forceful Push Grokka Q34- Prone. Move R34. Force Punch Grokka- Hit & Dead.

Kalimaru- Aspect of the Soaring Hawk. Battleaxe Thug- 13 damage & Dead. Move U33.

Kyalia- Move over Fire I41. Evasive Strike Fiery Pete- Hit 25 damage- Dead. Shift K41.

Ah-shahran- Move O42. Spirit Companion- Gorm Move S26. Spirit Infusion Freggo- Basic Melee Attack +2/+4 Scorch- Hit 11 damage- Bloodied. Call Spirit Companion J40 & 4 Temp HP Kyalia.

Bar Patrons- Mostly run, Ayella & Shadwick move to put out the fire, and scream for the PCs to help. Wumpus meanwhile attacks Scorch again- Hit 1 damage, still Bloodied.

Fire- Liquor cabinet explodes, behind the bar is raging. Seating are is also burning well with the fire spreading.

Turn 3.

Sneaky Goblin #1- Shortsword Magnus- Miss. Move O21- Flee. AoO Wumpus- Miss. AoO Freggo- Hit 6 damage- Dead.

Sneaky Goblin #3- Draw Short sword. Move J39. Short sword Gorm- 11 damage & Gorm disappears. Ah-shahran takes 5 damage.

Magnus-

[/sblock]

New Map to follow when caught up with posts.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
OOC: When Gorm takes enough damage to disappear, I take a fixed amount of damage--at this level, 5. So Ah-shahran is at 30/25 HP

OOC:
I had to look this up, so no worries about getting this wrong.
The Shaman's Spirit Companion is a Conjuration. If you look up the Conjuration keyword (on page 219-220 in the PH2 or in the Compendium) you'll see that Conjurations that can be attacked use the owner's defenses unless specified otherwise. So Arsonaround does not auto-hit, he must make an attack.

Fixed and logged- for next time.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
"Got some fight in ya, huh?" Magnus takes a another swing at the goblin.

OOC:
Standard: Reaping Strike

Using this to attack Ung Gak the Hobgoblin.

Magnus swings hard and connects with Ung Gak the other side of the bar, slicing through the creatures armour and cutting deep- the Hobgoblin staggers and falls.

[sblock=Question for Magnus]
Do you want to do anything else after the Reaping Strike, like put out the flames, employing a skill to do so- see Skill Challenge below-

It's getting dangerous in the bar, the fire is raging and the smoke is beginning to build up... and remember this Inn has rooms above- if the conflagration were to spread then the entire structure would become unstable. At the very least cause localised collapses.

You need to fight the invaders... and put out the fire, how you extinguish the fire is entirely up to you, the most obvious resource are the patrons of the Inn- if you could get them to do it for you...

And so I need you to take action, or else make skill checks to put out the flames- you decide what checks and how they are used to fight the flames.

Success and all flames are extinguished in a Close Burst 1- around you or a selected NPC (Bar Patron).

Failure, well- you'll see.

Skill checks can be Free, Minor, Move or Standard Actions. The more of your time you spend on such actions then the easier the DC for the check, so making a check as a Free Action = Hard DC, while making a check as part of a Standard Action = Easy DC.

Your friendly DM will reward good ideas or role-play with easier checks.

You do not know how many Successes you need, but a good guess would be until the flames are out. [/sblock]

Freego next...

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #1 Bar Fight

26 Sneaky Goblin #3
23 Magnus (TSS)
21 Freggo (Goken)
19 Hobgoblin #10
15 Viator (Raven)*
13 Kalimaru (Hairychin)
11 Kyalia (Thanee)
10 Ah-shahran (Tiornys)
0 Patrons of the Inn
0 Fire

HP & Conditions

PCs
Viator 26/15 Surges 8/8

Monsters
Sneaky Goblin #3
Hobgoblin #1- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #2- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #3- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #4- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #5- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #6- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #7- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #8- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #9- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #10

Actions To Date

Turn #1

Turn #2

Turn 3.

Sneaky Goblin #1- Shortsword Magnus- Miss. Move O21- Flee. AoO Wumpus- Miss. AoO Freggo- Hit 6 damage- Dead.

Sneaky Goblin #3- Draw Short sword. Move J39. Short sword Gorm- 11 damage & Gorm disappears. Ah-shahran takes 5 damage.

Magnus- Reaping Strike Ung Gak- Hit 4 damage- Dead. Anything else Magnus?

Freego-

[/sblock]

Map still to follow.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Realizing now that heroics sometimes involves less glamorous acts, Freggo sets his mind to stopping the roaring flames. Thinking back to some of the knowledge that his tutors tried to impart (while he was secretly reading tales of daring adventure), he believes that only high alcohol content liquids will actually burn. "Ho there bar workers! If you wish to battle the flames, use those great casks of ale right behind you! It will wash away the fire, you have my word of honor!"

Freggo then strides unflinching toward the flames himself. At least, in his mind's eye he strode unflinchingly. In actuality, anyone watching could see he was flinching a good deal... fire is hot! But he strode nonetheless, and concentrated on the magic at his command, wielded through his sword. If he could just apply the same forces that he uses to summon forth flames in order to extinquish them, maybe he can squelch them even more than the casks of ale would! Freggo, sweating and grimacing, gathers his power and sweeps forward with his blade and a choking shout, "MAGIC DO AS YOU WILL!"

[sblock=Mechanics]
Minor Action: Use History to recall fire fighting and impart advice to the bar workers. I have no idea why the check was rolled twice, maybe I clicked a button twice (I didn't think that I did).
Move Action: Move to O:28
Standard Action: Arcana to apply an altered version of Greenflame Blade to N:28 (Greenflame Blade does fire damage to enemies adjacent to the target.)
[/sblock]

Freego leaps down off the bar and cautiously approaches the fire, shouting instructions to the bar staff as he goes- the pair are swiftly in action, a tapped keg is used to spray a powerful jet of ale at the base of the flames. The pair continue spray the booze, the fire recedes.

Freego's still not finished, he flails with his blade at the fire- a strange sight, all the while recounting and reversing his Greenblade power- it works, and yet more of the fire is extinguished.

Meanwhile...

Hobgoblin #10 Gripples

Gripples shuffles forward with his longsword swinging- attempts to introduce Kyalia to a world of hurt, the goblinoid slices hard and wounds the Elf.

[sblock=Gripples Combat]
Move: J41
Standard: Longsword Kyalia- Hit 5 damage.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #1 Bar Fight

26 Sneaky Goblin #3
23 Magnus (TSS)
21 Freggo (Goken)
19 Hobgoblin #10
15 Viator (Raven)*
13 Kalimaru (Hairychin)
11 Kyalia (Thanee)
10 Ah-shahran (Tiornys)
0 Patrons of the Inn
0 Fire

HP & Conditions

PCs
Kyalia 26/25 Surges 8/8
Viator 26/15 Surges 8/8

Monsters
Sneaky Goblin #3
Hobgoblin #1- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #2- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #3- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #4- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #5- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #6- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #7- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #8- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #9- DEAD.
Hobgoblin #10
Put out the Flames Skill Challenge- Successes 2 (Freego 2)

Actions To Date

Turn #1

Turn #2

Turn 3.

Magnus- Reaping Strike Ung Gak- Hit 4 damage- Dead. Anything else Magnus?

Freego- Move O28. Issue instructions to bar staff to fight flames- Success. Reverse Greenblade to extinguish the fire- Success.

Hob#10- Move J41. Longsword Kyalia- Hit 5 damage.

Viator-

[/sblock]

New Map-

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/goonalan/Scales+of+War+#1+Rescue+at+Rivenroar/?g2_page=2

Viator is up...

I'm caught up.

Last edited:

hairychin

First Post
Kali

OOC: Posting early as after today I'll be unable to post for 2 weeks, off to the Masai Mara and won't be back until the 23rd - GM will be playing Kali, unless someone else wants to volunteer (this is fine with me if someone wants to). If so, basically he's very angry with everyone and everything, but can't help letting his protective and just side come through.

Kali sees the flames building at the rear of the inn and knows it could be trouble. The rug at his feet looks looks like a new purchase, the owner must have spent a fair few gold on it. Ah well, he'll just have to get over it. Grabbing it from the floor Kali dashes to the flames and flings the rug out like a fisherman hurling his net, and attempts to dampen the flames, as he would his campfire when in a rush to hide it.

OOC: Minor: grab rug
Move x2: to P41
Free: Nature check

Goken100

First Post
OOC: Posting early as after today I'll be unable to post for 2 weeks, off to the Masai Mara and won't be back until the 23rd - GM will be playing Kali, unless someone else wants to volunteer (this is fine with me if someone wants to). If so, basically he's very angry with everyone and everything, but can't help letting his protective and just side come through.
OOC: Goonalan: I'm willing to run Kali while hairychin is away if it helps. Whatever's easier for you.

Remove ads