• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scaling Monsters

I apologize if this question has been asked already but I was wondering how to scale monsters DOWN. For instance, there is no low level version of Kuo-Toa or Yuan-ti available in the Monster Manual. I am sure that not all members of the race are as powerful as the book suggests and that there exists some weaker versions for low-level parties to tackle. I also wonder if the 1st level goblins and kobolds available in the book aren't a bit powerful...I just remember it being so easy to kill a simple kobold or goblin, but giving them the descriptor of "warrior" is enough to boost their hit points well beyond that of an average 1st level fighter/paladin. Is there anyway to scale these "1st level monsters" down as well? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
SolidSnake_01 said:
I apologize if this question has been asked already but I was wondering how to scale monsters DOWN. For instance, there is no low level version of Kuo-Toa or Yuan-ti available in the Monster Manual. I am sure that not all members of the race are as powerful as the book suggests and that there exists some weaker versions for low-level parties to tackle. I also wonder if the 1st level goblins and kobolds available in the book aren't a bit powerful...I just remember it being so easy to kill a simple kobold or goblin, but giving them the descriptor of "warrior" is enough to boost their hit points well beyond that of an average 1st level fighter/paladin. Is there anyway to scale these "1st level monsters" down as well? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Refer to page 174 of the DMG. Simply increase or decrease their attacks and defenses by one for each level of adjustment, and adjust damage by one point per two levels.

frankthedm

First Post
SolidSnake_01 said:
I apologize if this question has been asked already but I was wondering how to scale monsters DOWN. For instance, there is no low level version of Kuo-Toa or Yuan-ti available in the Monster Manual. I am sure that not all members of the race are as powerful as the book suggests and that there exists some weaker versions for low-level parties to tackle.
Try re-describing sahaugin for low level fish men.

I also wonder if the 1st level goblins and kobolds available in the book aren't a bit powerful...I just remember it being so easy to kill a simple kobold or goblin, but giving them the descriptor of "warrior" is enough to boost their hit points well beyond that of an average 1st level fighter/paladin. Is there anyway to scale these "1st level monsters" down as well? Thanks in advance for all your help.
Minions.

Remove ads