• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Scarred Lands] Ashes & Wormwood

SSS-Druid

First Post
Scene Three - The Upperfaust

After dinner, Rua and Sallia gave Anjelika a tour of the Underfaust near the Darsinthe household, showing her the huge library and the subterranean gardens where the children and apprentices of necromancers were at play around the spun-wire trees and the singing, clockwork songbirds.

“Clemana suggested that we go Above and bring back your belongings,” said Sallia as they left the Nightsong Park. The three headed for the Third Gate, which served as the Underfaust’s entry to the city of Hollowfaust proper, stopping off at the Ossuary so that Sallia might requisition a trio of skeletons to aid with the move.

In short order, the three were leaving the Underfaust, stepping into the waning daylight. Above, thick cloud cover reflected the roiling red light of the active volcano that sat above the city of Hollowfaust, lending the entire city a bloody cast in the dusk. The inns were already rollicking, providing entertainment aplenty so that visitors to the city might have no reason to venture out in search of diversions – it could be deadly for those without tokens.

The trio walked the distance to the Cass home, Sallia and Anjelika both marveling at the sights of the city, while Rua led the way. They turned a corner and were nearly run down by a patrol of marrow knights, massive centaur-like skeletons that towered over the three slight young women. The marrow knights came to rapid halt, however, and made way for the young necromancer and her compatriots. Sallia smiled and continued on while Anjelika gaped at the massive undead soldiery.

Reaching the proper street, the three were met with the sound of a haunting melody, a popular Hollowfaust love song, the tragic tale of a man who loved a woman but died in an accident, and was now cursed to follow her, begging for her to see him when she could not. The young women rounded the corner as the music stopped.

Leaning against the trelliswork that supported the grape vines growing up the wall of Anjelika’s house was a woman wearing smoky gray robes, with a dark green-dyed leather pouch-belt and matching scarf. It was obvious that she played a finely crafted lute-harp, in the Veshian style, but she had just stopped performing. As the folk on the streets scurried back to their homes or the night’s entertainment, she packed up her gear and the small hat with a respectable collection of worn guilders and groats within. She looked up and nodded, then paused as she saw Anjelika.

“Pardon me,” she said, as she scooped up the hat and emptied its contents into a pouch at her side. “Are you the ward at the Darsinthe residence?”

“I...I am. Who asks?” the young sorceress eyed this strange bard warily, her hand straying to a bone that hung from her belt. Sallia and Rua stepped closer as well, more curious than cautious.

“Forgive my forthrightness,” she said with an apologetic smile. “Master Aubranthor has always said that I’ve the manners of a ghoul. I am Vaelthia Uthmar, of the Chorus of the Banshee.” At Sallia’s smile, Anjelika relaxed, though she was still wary. The young bard obviously didn’t notice.]

“I’ve heard interesting tales and rumors about your...abilities. Is it true that you hear voices? Voices speaking in Sumaran?” Anjelika’s brow furrowed as she nodded.

“It is, though I’ve only come to know what it is recently. For quite a time I thought...well, I thought I was perhaps going mad.”

“When did it begin?” the young bard asked, leaning against the trellis-covered wall behind her, though obviously deeply interested. Sallia, too, leaned in to listen, interested in the unfolding story. Anjelika sighed.

“After most of my parent’s possessions were claimed by their so-called debtors. One of them, a fat, vile man by the name of Jahanar offered me a place in his harem. I refused. That night, a pair of men – men whom I’m more than convinced are in Jahanar’s employ – broke into my home that night. I fled, and ended up in the cemetary. I hid in a mausoleum and grabbed a bone, the only thing I could find to defend myself.

“They found me and I began hearing the whispers. I raised the bone to defend myself, and I was able to make out one...string of words. It became so loud, I found myself shouting the words just to make the pressure in my head ease. I felt a sudden chill in the air and the bone changed into a sword. I killed one of them. The other got away. From that point on, the voices have been with me.” Her audience stared at her in rapt fascination, somewhere between enchantment and horror. She turned her gaze away, uncomfortable with all the attention. Drendos crooned comfortingly in her ear, nuzzling her cheek with its velvet-soft head.

Rua cleared her throat and Vaelthia let out the breath she’d been unconsciously holding with something like a small laugh.

“That is quite a tale. I thank you for sharing it, Anjelika. I hope that we might become friends, since you are going to be in the Underfaust for at least the next year or so. But I should be running.” She smiled at them all, gathered up her things and sprinted down the street in the direction they had just come from, towards the Third Gate.

“Well, let’s get these things packed and the skeletons back to the Underfaust, shall we?” suggested Sallia.

Last edited:

NiTessine

Explorer
Ooo... Hollowfaust...
Very well-written. Very interesting. You've got yourself a reader... Who knows? Maybe I can get some interesting information useful in Nightfall's campaign... :cool:

Graf

Explorer
mm

Took a break from writing my own plot summaries. This is good stuff. A few more sessions and I'll be able to have my PCs for an audience in HF in confidence.

Its neat to see the figures detailed in the books come to life like this.

Looking forward to more.

[edit: I can't help but notice that the thread title is also related to Master Darsinthe's favorite tipple.... concidence, or something more?]

Last edited:

SSS-Druid

First Post
Okay.

I am a wicked, wicked Story Hour writer, not having updated in absolutely forever.

The campaign has progressed apace; heck, we even got ourselves a fourth player, who is playing Aven Montrose, a cleric of Nemorga (wave hello, Josh!).

But I've been working overtime to get Creature Collection Revised and The Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers into the hands of Production, so you have to understand that what free time I've had lately has just not been devoted to writing up the story hour.

I promise an update soon.

Ruined

Explorer
I'm not complaining, SSS-Druid. Either you write a cool Story Hour I can get flavor and style from, or you produce good books that I will definitely buy. Either way, I (and my players) win.

Remove ads