• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scarred Lands: Ghelspad Worth It?

shouit

Explorer
How did I know that Nightfall would be here? Hmmm......

Seriously though, I debated between homebrew and a premade campaign setting. At the time, I had the Gaz for SL, HC for FR, and GH stuff. I decided that due to time constraints, homebrew wouldnt work for me, FR drove me nuts, but I had the campaign setting for 3rd cause of all the crunchy bits. And GH was my setting in 2nd. Well, I trade GH for SL and don't regret it one bit. It is "different but same" campaign setting that people are looking for. It has twists on all most everything, making it feel unique but play the same. I don't know if I am speaking coherently, but oh well. Pick it up, it is very very interesting.

The Crimster

First Post
Nightfall said:
(snip)Just seems to make the most sense since I believe they will be worshipper of "spirits" as well Titans, whom they refer to as "The Great Ones".

Wait a second here. Are you saying that the gnomes worship The Rock??

SSS-Druid

First Post
The Crimster said:
Wait a second here. Are you saying that the gnomes worship The Rock??

Absolutely. Wait til you see the Gnomish Face wrestler prestige class.

Because, as the PHB indicates, with their noses, gnomes can, indeed, smell what the Rock's got cookin'.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
shouit said:
How did I know that Nightfall would be here? Hmmm......

Seriously though, I debated between homebrew and a premade campaign setting. At the time, I had the Gaz for SL, HC for FR, and GH stuff. I decided that due to time constraints, homebrew wouldnt work for me, FR drove me nuts, but I had the campaign setting for 3rd cause of all the crunchy bits. And GH was my setting in 2nd. Well, I trade GH for SL and don't regret it one bit. It is "different but same" campaign setting that people are looking for. It has twists on all most everything, making it feel unique but play the same. I don't know if I am speaking coherently, but oh well. Pick it up, it is very very interesting.

Cause you know me too well shouit my friend. :) Yep. I traded in FR for most of the same reasons.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
SSS-Druid said:

Absolutely. Wait til you see the Gnomish Face wrestler prestige class.

Because, as the PHB indicates, with their noses, gnomes can, indeed, smell what the Rock's got cookin'.

LOL! Well that certainly was unexpected to read that...but hey at least they didn't pick Stone Cold...

Gaius

First Post
Hey rootbeergnome, I was in your exact position about a week and a half ago. Since then, I've purchased a decent number of books for the Scarred Lands setting and have loved every single one. I know the questions that you're asking yourself and while it'd take too much time to answer them all, I can cut to the bottom line; this is an excellent setting and well worth your consideration. Buy the SLCS and be prepared to buy all the rest of the wonderful books that follow. It's great stuff!

Gaius

Grraf

First Post
yes

Don't get the Gazateer. The hardcover is so much more worth it.
While the supplements are great they aren't essential.

The setting has a strong theme and things are much more clearly organizeda round the theme. It makes the setting more interesting/meaningful that Kalamar and more coherent and rational than FR (in my humble opinion).
While there are a bunch of unnessessary prestige classes the books so big you forget they're back there.

Whe people say gritty what they mean (I think) is that there are very few places in the world that are "doing well normally". There are a number of evil places that are thriving (nation of Evil slavers, aquisitive kingdom run by dark king), neutralish places that are thriving through weirdness (the city of necromancers, a city protected by suits of armor animated by good warriors souls)and good places which are under seige or recovering (vesh, burok torn, Mithril, etc.).
Whole chunks of the continent are covered in dangerous terrain and the oceans aren't much better.
Just about every nation (and many groups') primary goal is survival. Their secondary goals are things like protecting people like me who live nearby. There is a complex element of politics going on but its got that post-apoclypic element to it.

ONE MAJOR IRRITATION: The Gelspaad races adjustments aren't in the book! You have to pick up the DMs Screen. While I have it and I actually use the screen this is unacceptable bordering on criminal.
Its compounded by the races being neat and quite well done.

ijou

Gez

First Post
Nightfall said:
As for how I know they will act, well I wish Joseph was here BUT he wrote an EXCELLENT opening piece that discusses a Calastian Explorer's account of the encounter between his party and that of some gnomes. I also know that gnomes have a great hatred of Charduni, since they are responsible for much of the slave trade in that part of the world.

Where is that ? As an all-around gnome fan, I need to see that piece. Can you email it to me, Nightey ? :D

SSS-Druid

First Post
From the Journals of Marith Kuelvar, Royal Calastian
Explorer:

Day 87

We have made the most marvelous discovery today. While I
was sure that these jungles held nothing but biting
insects, snakes and man-eating giant cats, today's
discovery totally refutes that idea. Perhaps there are more
terrors on this damnable continent of Termana, but there
are certainly some wonders, too.

Those blasted fey creatures that have been plaguing us for
nearly a week now have shown themselves. Now, despite their
use of confounding (though, in retrospect, non-lethal)
illusions, as well as their ability to speak to the small
animals of this verdant wilderness, these small folk are
actually very friendly.

Their chieftain and shaman, who both speak halting Ledean
(passed down from time their ancestors spent among the
Forsaken elves, if I understand them correctly), paid us a
visit today, after we made the fact that we were merely
explorers clear. Thankfully, Caldrick's idea worked; I
could have kissed that bard.

These folk call themselves "gnomes," a name I have only
heard in reference to the strange brewer gnomes. Now,
whether these two groups spring from the same primeval
source, or it was a similarity that caused one to be
referred to by the name of other was unclear. We do know
that the Forsaken elves (whom the gnomes called The High
Ones) are responsible for this naming convention, one way
or the other.

These folk are clever and small, with chestnut brown skin
and dark hair. Their green eyes gleam with intelligence
and, dare I say it, mirth. They seem to be a happy folk.

Nor are they the savages that one might mistake jungle-
dwellers to be. No, indeed. Though they would not take us
to see a settlement of their place, their chieftain claims
that his folk make their homes in the vast root systems of
the massive, sprawling trees of these places, comfortable
among the small monkeys, burrowing mammals, lizards and
brightly colored birds of this place.

Their shaman was an odd fellow, too. Kuorney, our sage, was
interested in the specifics of their faith. They seem to
worship none of the gods. Nor, however, do they openly
worship any of the Titans, despite the distinctly druidic
powers of their shamans. Rather, they claim to worship the
spirits of their land. According to the shaman, every major
feature of the land - a large stand of trees, a mighty
mountain, a stream, a volcano - has a spirit.

When we mentioned the titans, the shaman shushed us
quickly, and asked the chieftain to step away from the
conversation. He took us aside, worry furrowing his brow.
He said that we were not to speak of The Great Ones; he
referred to them as the Great Fathers of All Spirits,
implying that the spirits they revered owed some kind of
vassalage to the Titans. But to speak of the Titans
themselves was forbidden, the nature of The Great Fathers a
taboo subject.

They told us that they often tried to drive off strangers,
for they had dealt with centuries of being enslaved by the
charduni of Chorach, or hunted by the foulnesses that arose
from the Blood Bayou.

I hope to meet up with these small folk again, soon - they
are truly fascinating.