• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scarred Lands Help

Kri8or

First Post
I'm just about to start a new campaign in the Scarred Lands. I'm a fan of the setting but none of my players know much of anything about it. I know getting them to read source material doesn't usually work out, so I'm wondering if anyone else knows of a concise description floating around the interweb of the setting and it's background. I'm going to be running the game on the Northern border of New Venir. They'll have to deal with the political situation with Calastia, critters from the Blood Steppes and the Hornsaw, and eventually I'll want to take them to Hollowfaust. If there's anything specific, that'd be great, but I'd like to at least find some kind of overview of the god/titan situation and basic history that doesn't force them to read more than a half dozen pages.

Ya know, cause players are lazy.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Inside the Relics and Rituals books there is a two page intro to the battle between the Gods and the Titans. I'm at work and don't have the books here, but if I recall correctly, in the Ghelspad sourcebook there is a more detailed, slightly longer introduction that also gives an overview of the different races and nations and how they were active in the Titanswar and the aftermath of that war.

Fulcan

First Post
I found that pulling a few select entries from the Scarred Lands Gazetteer: Ghelspad worked pretty well. As we progressed in the campaign the players got more and more interested and ended up reading the whole thing. You can find it on ebay for just a few bucks.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Hand of Evil said:

:p

Sorry I was on duty else where.

My advice use this:

The world of Scarn has changed. Before all was birth, death and rebirth, drawn through the changes of the beings known as Titans. For much like the devastation of a forest fire, the desolation of a tsuami, or even the growth and death of a forest, the titans reigned as being supreme, uncaring of their creations, the mortals whose lifes they touched with their thoughtless acts of creation and destruction. But before long their creations would turn...and it would be from their very own progeny. For unlike the Titans, the Gods needed mortals, their beliefs and prayers sustained them, fed them, and gave their power. The Gods knew, especially after many of their followers died at the hands of those who followed the titans, druids and sorcerers that had their power inside them, they needed to act. Thus came the war of all times, The Divine War, the Titanswar, the Purging. In that time, the Eight Victors fought long and hard, as time and space broke under their fighting. Finally after much devasation and destruction, the Titans were beaten back. Not destroyed, merely contained, desolated and mostly rendered inert, save the one, the Traitoress and now beloved of the divine races, dwarves, elves, man, and halfing, Denev. Her druids now hold sway...but not all is well. For while the war is over, the followers and indeed many creations of the Titans still are alive and well today. Some seek their remains, hoping to unite their creators broken bodies into a whole entity once more. Others merely to use that power for their own ends. Regardless, it's not a time to be weak or unready. Spells high my friends. Time to find your destiny. Gods and Titans, indeed all the once proud world of Scarn, now the Scarred Lands, could depend on it.

Howse that?

Kri8or

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
Inside the Relics and Rituals books there is a two page intro to the battle between the Gods and the Titans.

Those two pages are exactly the kind of broad overview I was looking for. The details can come later. Thanks!

twofalls

DM Beadle
Nightfall, thatwas wonderful! You know I purchased all the Scarred Lands Material when it went on sale, so I'm ripping off your paragraph and sending it to my group.

Thanks!

P.S. Keep us posted on that SL DMG project you are working on. I'll buy it POD if nothing else.

Kri8or

First Post
I didn't mean to belittle your synopsis, Nightfall. We just happened to post at about the same time. I'll use the blurb from Relics and Rituals - which I've had since it came out, I don't know why I never noticed the first 2 pages...always skipping to the spells, I guess. Shockwave Strike is still one of my favorite 1st level cleric spells - in my hand out packet. But I'll use your as the cover page.

Thanks for the help

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads