• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scarrport: City of Secrets, now on sale!

raptor112

First Post
Hi, one of the designers in question here. There were several concerns that lead to the change. A couple of them, in no particular order were:

Intelligence/Dexterity is not a great pairing. They apply to the same defenses, AC & Reflex. Also, if you are a heavy armor user they don't even add to AC. Also, the only class that "favors" Intelligence/Dexterity is a wand wizard.

However, the lack of popularity of wand wizards and the lack of class options that favor these stats together are a second point against.

Eladrin, a core race from PHB1, already has this combo, and gets slightly better mileage out of them by virtue of the Eladrin Education feature.

Those are the points against Intelligence/Dexterity.

The points in Favor of Intelligence/Constitution are related:

No core races from PHB 1 or 2 have this combo.

Intelligence/Constitution apply to different defenses.

Constitution is independently useful to every PC in the game.

Intelligence/Constitution a better spread state-wise in that it is optimal for some Warlocks.

And, although this is just bonus teaser material for now, when Eberron releases this summer (unless they changed the Artificer from the playtest last summer) Intelligence/Constitution will be the optimal stats for at least one build of Artificer. Making Gremlins good artificers.

Also, in light of the change, Gremlins gained a racial initiative bonus. THis has the benefit of making them generally "quick" in combat and supports the idea that they are good gun-slingers.

I hope that was helpful, and enjoy the book :)

Graydon

I can understand the thought process behind, but you changed the stat bonus but kept the defense bonus to will. The point of a defense bonus is when a race that has two stats going to the same defense. With con stat bonus it already gets two bonuses to defenses, now it has a bonus to all three defenses. Also it lists rogue as one of the classes it is good at, but neither inteligence nor constitiution is a primary stat for a rogue, with the exception of the +2 to stealth there is nothing that makes it a good rogue.

Urizen

First Post
I'll make the changes back to the bonus to Dex, and make it more rogue-friendly.

I'm sorry that you're not enjoying the content thus far.

raptor112

First Post
I'll make the changes back to the bonus to Dex, and make it more rogue-friendly.

I'm sorry that you're not enjoying the content thus far.

No I'm enjoying it, I still love the gremlin, it just seems weird to change it and not change what its good at that all. Hell I'm not even planning on playing a rogue when I play my gremlin. I'm going to be playing a summonner wizard the refluffs my summons as machinces. It was just something that caught my eye. When reading it I'm thinking as both a GM AND a player. I know my GM if it isn't near perfect (or at the very least as close to perfect as a WOTC product) I won't be able to use the book. I also want to buy the print version too.

Urizen

First Post
No I'm enjoying it, I still love the gremlin, it just seems weird to change it and not change what its good at that all. Hell I'm not even planning on playing a rogue when I play my gremlin. I'm going to be playing a summonner wizard the refluffs my summons as machinces. It was just something that caught my eye. When reading it I'm thinking as both a GM AND a player. I know my GM if it isn't near perfect (or at the very least as close to perfect as a WOTC product) I won't be able to use the book. I also want to buy the print version too.

I understand completely, and am glad you're enjoying it!

Obviously, I want this book to have as much utility as possible. That's the whole point behind this series of books; to be useable in any game.

I'm always willing to listen to questions and concerns people might have about any of the books I publish, and, this being my first foray into 4th edition, I expect a certain amount of reluctance on the part of people to rush out and grab the pdf.

So if I can make changes to the book based on errata or whatever, I'm happy to do it.

CrimsonHawk

First Post
... and, this being my first foray into 4th edition, I expect a certain amount of reluctance on the part of people to rush out and grab the pdf.

It may be just me, but the only reason it took me 12 hours to buy the book from DriveThruRPG was because I had to get money on my GreenDot card.

I've been looking for a professionally written elementalist class since 4E first came out. That there are three races and a fully fleshed out city to use as well is icing on a grand cake.

Thank you so much to you and yours for all the hard work you put into this book!

Urizen

First Post
It may be just me, but the only reason it took me 12 hours to buy the book from DriveThruRPG was because I had to get money on my GreenDot card.

I've been looking for a professionally written elementalist class since 4E first came out. That there are three races and a fully fleshed out city to use as well is icing on a grand cake.

Thank you so much to you and yours for all the hard work you put into this book!

No, thank you for all your support. I hope you get a lot of good use out of it. :)

Treebore

First Post
The 33 page preview certainly looks good. I may end up buying this. Any plans to give further detail to more city locations?

Urizen

First Post
The 33 page preview certainly looks good. I may end up buying this. Any plans to give further detail to more city locations?

More locations inside of Scarrport, you mean? I hadn't given it much thought, actually, but you know that's a cool idea for small 5 to 6 page, 1 dollar products, or web enhancements.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads