• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scenario involing prone?

Forking this from the prone discussion in another thread.

Our group is currently in a tomb in a swamp. The hallways are 1 square - 5ft, with 7 foot ceilings. We had a lot of trouble with movement getting into a room full of undead because of this, along with the hallway being L shaped going into the room, and one foe blocking the door proper. (and one ranged player not wanting to move from their "spot")

Now that we are reminded that you can occupy the same square if they are prone, it should be easier (there are still 2 more rooms to clear).

Anyways, this brought to mind a possible scenario and I wondered if and how it would work:

In a 1 square wide, 5ft hallway, one foe is flanked by 2 melee's. At the end of each of their turns, they use a move action to drop prone. Then, 2 other melee class step into the prone players squares, on either side of the flanked creature. Now acknowledging the minus to hit, and the CA the prone players grant, would all 4 melee people then be able to sit in the those 2 flanking squares and wail away on the flanked creature?

Just wondering...was thinking on that concept of "focused fire"... :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kingreaper

Adventurer
With only 2 in each square, it doesn't seem too unreasonable. The prone guys are, in essence, fighting from under the legs of the standing guys.

I mean, normally I wouldn't approve, but in the situation? It's the most sensible reaction I can find without going into houseruling.

darjr

I crit!
Yea!

And the standing guys have an easy way out. Just run. The prone guys will catch up in just a sec.... oh darn, maybe not. :)

Interesting idea. But isn't less than a move action to drop prone?

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Now just to clear one point up, it is a minor to drop prone - but a standard move action to stand up - is that correct?
Yep. Stand from prone is a move action. If your square is unoccupied, you stand into your square. If your square is currently occupied, you shift to the nearest unoccupied square.

p.s., my players didn't figure this out for 5' and 10' wide corridors either, and are STILL cursing me out for including too many "tight, cramped quarters" encounters!

Hehehehe, I feel for them! :)

Glad I found that other thread and got to thinking about it - with 2 more rooms to clear in that swamp surrounded Tomb, all with those same 5ft/1 square corridors and hallways, it'll come in deady handy.

Hmm, if you're prone, I know you can't shift, but can you crawl along, through your team-mates squares until you reach your movement speed? :)

Last edited:

Kingreaper

Adventurer
Hehehehe, I feel for them! :)

Glad I found that other thread and got to thinking about it - with 2 more rooms to clear in that swamp surrounded Tome, all with those same 5ft/1 square corridors and hallways, it'll come in deady handy.

Hmm, if you're prone, I know you can't shift, but can you crawl along, through your team-mates squares until you reach your movement speed? :)

You crawl at HALF your movement speed.

Remove ads