• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sci Fi RPG: System help?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Hi all. Looking for a Sci-Fi RPG system that can handle... well, lots of stuff.

1) Cybernetics.

2) Guns/Blasters

3) Monsters, I suppose. Genetically created monstrosities, xenomorph alien predators, whatever.

Any recommendations?

Yora

Legend
For my next Star Wars campaign, I want to go with Fate Core. It's a story-RPG, not a tactical combat game, so it might not be what you're looking for. But it's quite simple and also free.
The use of Fudge Dice is a bit annoying, but it's easily converted to 2d6.

Penthau

Explorer
If you are looking for something more tactical, I would suggest GURPS 4e. Lots of support material, especially if you like PDFs, including a translation of Traveller (in 3e). The biggest danger is that high tech weapons are as deadly as they should be.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why should being shot with a hi tech weapon be more likely to kill you than being beheaded with a sword? A sword is 100% deadly if it skewers you. You can't get more dead than dead!

fireinthedust

Explorer
d20 Modern: Have them all. No one seems to run them on this site, though, and I've gotten zero serious responses when trying to run them on other sites.

Shadowrun? I got 5e, it's okay on paper, though I can see multiple attacks per round for one player being a pain for all the others.

FATE and NEW (thanks Morrus): I've heard about them. I think I'm still underbudget on my PDFs for this quarter (sounds fancier than it is), maybe pick them up?

I'm really a cinematic GM, I have to be, as my group is almost always newbs. If not to gaming than to the system.

Razjah

Explorer
I'm a big fan of Savage Worlds, highly recommended. FATE is pretty awesome too. I would suggest either of those.

[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] is it weird that I knew you were going to suggest HERO before I read your post?

Remove ads