• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sci Fi RPG: System help?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
1) Cybernetics.

2) Guns/Blasters

3) Monsters, I suppose. Genetically created monstrosities, xenomorph alien predators, whatever.

Modos RPG (link in my signature). Simple core rules mean you can mold it into whatever you need (plus a chapter on the subject).

But here are some mod-rules to get you started:

1) Cybernetics: each Cybernetic Enhancement grants a +4 bonus to a particular skill. Treat each enhancement as an effective level, unless the C.E. is limited in the following way: C.E. gets one daily use per character level, and thereafter has a 1 in 4 chance of working during its recharge period. Spend a hero point for another C.E. use. C.E.s that only damage or protect should be treated just like normal gear.

Magic spells can be treated as effects of C.E.s instead of magical power.

2) Blasters: blasters are ranged weapons with no reload actions, which ignore (armor) protection unless the protection is blaster-resistant. Blaster damage: light blaster d8, medium blaster d10, heavy blaster d12.

3) Monsters: created the (almost) exact same way as PCs. And...creating them is covered in the Bestiary chapter.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Buying Fate pdf

can't find the core Traveller rules on Drivethru! why doesn't that pop up...?

Will check out Modos.

What I don't get: I just shelled out for Shadowrun, and I thought it was a major system in terms of player numbers. Currently: no one's saying Shadowrun. Was I that wrong?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Fate: I'd like to see it in play. Anyone up for starting a game?

True20: anyone tried this for sci-fi? Or even an everything-and-then-some setting like Rifts?

Wangalade

Explorer
you could try Alternity. its a scifi game that was developed by tsr just before they were bought by wizards. its old, and there's not much support for it, but its fun and can handle all the things you need. it is similar to dnd in many ways

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Since you've already been looking for Traveller, i'm seconding Alternity.

Also, not many people do it, but it is perfectly possible to run a serious game using Mongoose's version of the Paranoia RPG.

If you want something more HG Wellsian/Jules Vernian, track down some incarnation of Space:1889. I like the original, but I understand the Savage Worlds version is pretty decent.

Penthau

Explorer
Why should being shot with a hi tech weapon be more likely to kill you than being beheaded with a sword? A sword is 100% deadly if it skewers you. You can't get more dead than dead!

Nothing is more likely to kill you than being killed with a sword, but lots of things are more likely to kill you than being hit with a sword. A sword in the hands of an average human does about 1d6 slashing. An assault rifle in the hands of an average human does about 5d6 to 7d6 piercing and can autofire and fire three round bursts. One of these is obviously more capable of killing someone than the other.

Remove ads