• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sci-fi RPGs

Pfhoenix

First Post
Can anyone recommend a hardcore sci-fi RPG? I'm interested in anything Mass Effect style in the space opera vein. I've dug through Star Wars, d20 Future, and Rifts, but I've yet to see a table-top RPG in a space opera setting (aside from Star Wars).

jedavis

First Post
Traveller! The default setting makes a few questionable assumptions about how FTL travel works, but at least in Mongoose Traveller, there's a full page of "rules for ignoring the rules of jump drive," including things like more standard hyperspace, jump gates, &c. The default setting is kinda hard-science, but those assumptions can be easily hand-waved away ("How long does it take to get far enough away from the planet to jump?... Does anyone really care? No? OK, it happens, we're good.").

In short: definitely check out Mongoose Traveller. I ran a game of it last semester and it was one of the more fun things I've played in a long time.

If you want games with an existing Mass Effect conversion, I can think of two. Diaspora and Star Wars Sage Edition. Either game would, imo, do space opera better than Traveller, no matter how much I love that game.

Thotas

First Post
I own, but have never had the chance to play, the "Alternity" game that came out just prior to 3e Dungeons and Dragons. It certainy looked good to me, and I may still give it a shot if the chance ever presents itself. It's probably really hard to get a hold of anymore.

I should also admit that I don't really do video games, so comparison to Mass Effect doesn't give me much of a clue about what you're looking for. So you shouldn't assume I'm tossing "Alternity" out there because of any similarity -- I have no idea if there is any or not.

pming

Legend
Hiya

Maybe take a look at Dream Pod 9's "CORECommand".

You can also take a look at "Star Frontiers" ... which has been "Revised". Just do a search for "star frontiers revised star frontiersman" and you should find it. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Besides all the excellent suggestions above, you might want to check out HERO's & GURPS's Sci-Fi setting books: the beauty of each primarily comes from their customizability.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I like the BSG rpg. It's simple, it's gritty, it encourages players to take risks.

That or the generic Cortex system on which it is based would do ME well.

Can anyone recommend a hardcore sci-fi RPG? I'm interested in anything Mass Effect style in the space opera vein. I've dug through Star Wars, d20 Future, and Rifts, but I've yet to see a table-top RPG in a space opera setting (aside from Star Wars).

Eclipse Phase. It's an awesome looking game and the only reason I haven't gotten to play it is I'm the only Sci-Fi GM in the area.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Player's Guide to the Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future adventure path is very imminent. The Player's Guide, simply called Myths of the Far Future (the accompanying adventure path being one such myth) is essentially D&D 4E rules in a sci-fi space setting (no magic, lots of tech, that sort of thing).

Diaspora. It's rules-light FATE.

I had played and run Alternity, but it runs into the same failings as other sci-fi rulesets I've run into: rules. I've been in GURPS, d20 Future and several other rulesets in sci-fi, and they've all failed.

(Incidentally, I do not count post-apocalyptic as sci-fi. Gamma World 4e works pretty well.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads