Sci Fi, Survival game, Seeking System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Right now I'm heavily leaning toward GURPS with adding in a FIASCO style relationship rules.

However I do have this sick desire to dig out my old Alternity rules....

Wonder if there would be in interest in that.

Shayuri

First Post
I am familiar with Alternity...but I don't see much to recommend it over more recent iterations of the d20 extended family.

What is FIASCO?

Moon_Goddess

It's a card game, Will Wheaton did an episode of it on tabletop.

Basically It'd be stealing from it is the relationships between characters. You must share some relationship good or bad, with the person to the left and right of you, and you much share some goal, location or object in common.

The reason I would pic Alternity over say d20 Future is I find it's skill system just far better for a modern or future game than d20's system.

Shayuri

First Post
I find that Alternity's skill system is incredibly miserly with its points. :)

You have to savagely, brutally specialize in something...and you don't get much left over for flavor.

But I admit, I've only made two characters for the system. My opinion may be a bit premature. I'd definitely be in the market for tips, if you settle on that system. It seems like I have yet to really grasp how to make it work. :)

Jemal

Adventurer
I have no knowledge of Fiasco or Alternity and I think I tried gurps once about a decade ago

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm...I will mention, in my pseudo-rant about alternity's skill points...the game I was thinking of when I said it was one that started with characters leveled up to 5...and rereading the rules reminded me that the system Alternity uses to generate experienced characters is kind of bad. I think -that- is the reason I thought the skill points were stingy.

It seems like in starting at level 5, you don't get nearly as much advancement points as you'd get actually playing from level 1 to level 5.

doghead

thotd
I have no knowledge of Fiasco or Alternity and I think I tried gurps once about a decade ago

I can't even claim to have played GURP I don't think. I think I may have flipped through some of the books.

I did however, recognise the distinctive 'TSR Ugly' style of the Alternity box design.

Pity, because this sound like it could be interesting.

thotd

Shayuri

First Post
GURPS has an easy to grasp core mechanic, I think.

It can be complex in the nitty-gritty though. Fortunately, a lot of that complexity can be scaled back without much problem. For the newcomer, the biggest barrier is the long list of Advantages and Disadvantages...but again, most of that list is not essential to the game, just a useful tool for character design.

GURPS is definitely a system that rewards having a clear concept before you start to design the character mechanically though. It has a huge list of options, which means if you just want to browse and windowshop for ideas, you may be in for a long development time. :)

But if you know basically what you want, it goes more smoothly and quickly.

Moon_Goddess

I'm not saying I have to run Alternity that was just a wonder if there's any interest.

Obviously there is not.

I can pick M&M if it's gonna be better for getting me players than Gurps would....(it's not like I can't steal tech and ideas from GURPS, you don't play gurps, you data mine it)

Lets do a informal poll, who's into playing if we run.

GURPS
M&M
Something else
Or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads