Scimitar

fiddlerjones

First Post
I never understood the school of thought that balance is bad. In my ideal RPG, players won't have to give up character utility in order to pursue a character concept they like.

Sitara

Explorer
Gyu's a scimitar is better than the longsword! Especially for the ranger! I mean, 2 chances to high crit every single round? That rocks!! Its better than a measley +1 to attack.

Hmm, maybe consider the Oracle PP for that auto crit ability! :D

the Jester

Legend
Sorry if this has already been asked, and answered, but someone on the WotC boards posted this, and I have the same question:

Does the scimitar need errata?

No.

Until we have actually played the game as written for a while, I don't think any of us are in a position to say, "This rule needs FIXED!!!1!".

I always play new editions by the RAW for at least six months before I start tinkering with them- often, the balancing factors are beneath the surface and difficult to spot without actually playing them out for a while.

OTOH, it's your campaign; do what you need to to make it fun!

Stalker0

Legend
The longsword and scimitar are balanced on damage, as was shown in that previous post.

However, this does not include secondary effects, which are very common in 4e.

There are many powers that do extra things when you hit. In that respect, the longsword's +1 is much more attractive than the scimitar.

However, a +3 hit crit scimitar would be too strong. I think the weapon needs to be left where it is, it has a niche with halflings, and becomes better at paragon levels when it starts adding +2d8 on a crit.

Remove ads