• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Scimitar

PnPgamer

Explorer
It all comes down to dual-wielding. Light weapons are designed for dual-wielding. It looks funny when you try to use two rapiers at once, but the iconic dual-wielder uses two scimitars.

*cough cough drizzt copy cough cough*
I must be getting an allergic reaction.

In any game which allows feats, rapiers are the best (melee) weapon for dual wielding.
If things get slightly sillier when you allow feats, well... that's behind a double unlock - you have to be playing in a game with feats and you have to be playing in a game with that specific feat.

As long as the base game makes sense within the established narrative, that's the important thing.

Shiroiken

Legend
What I am really missing in 5E is a reason to use the classic Dagger-Rapier Combo. You cannot use it without the Feat, but it's a bad combo if you have the Feat.
I agree, which is why I made a houserule that works very well. I added a new property (Off Hand) to 1d4 light weapons. In essence, you can TWF with them and any other 1 handed weapon, but the bonus action attack must be with the Off Hand weapon. Stylistically it works very well, and mechanically it's not really any more powerful than normal TWF (actually it's a bit better once you get multiple attacks, but that's where TWF starts to fall behind anyway).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I agree, which is why I made a houserule that works very well. I added a new property (Off Hand) to 1d4 light weapons. In essence, you can TWF with them and any other 1 handed weapon, but the bonus action attack must be with the Off Hand weapon. Stylistically it works very well, and mechanically it's not really any more powerful than normal TWF (actually it's a bit better once you get multiple attacks, but that's where TWF starts to fall behind anyway).

Yup, I'd agree with this. Whereas most standard dual-wielding would be with two 1d6 weapons (shortswords / scimitars etc)... allowing instead a 1d8 / 1d4 combo is not going to cause that much difficulty or any tremendous unbalancing in my personal opinion. Damage is going to end up being close to the same in the end, so I don't see any reason to disallow it if the player wants to go rapier/main gauche for flavor reasons.

The stat blocks are for finesse blade #1, which is smaller and can be dual wielded without special training, and finesse blade #2, which cannot. Call them whatever you want. Scimitar, rapier, Elven thinblade, cutlass, broad scimitar, light rapier, long scimitar, katana jr, really sharp and small bec de corbin.

What I am really missing in 5E is a reason to use the classic Dagger-Rapier Combo. You cannot use it without the Feat, but it's a bad combo if you have the Feat.
That's a good point. It seems like they can't quite manage a system where all of the popular, classical styles are really workable.

I'm just happy we can use spears and shields at the same time.

mlund

First Post
My complaint is that the Scimitar and the Saber are lumped together. The Scimitar should be 1d8 Finesse slashing. The Saber should be 1d6 Finesse, Light Slashing, but Drizzt Ruins Everything.

Marty Lund

Shiroiken

Legend
Drizzt Ruins Everything.
No: Drizzt Fanyboys Ruin everything. Drizzt was actually built mechanically correct in 1E. Drow could use equal length weapons without penalty as one of their racial benefits. You couldn't make a Drizzt Clone without being a Drow (suffering the normal penalties for such) until 3E. When WotC took over, they caved to the Fanboys so you could build a non-drow Clone at level 1. This continued through 4E, and now 5E.

Don't hate Drizzt; hate the Fanboys!

mlund

First Post
Don't hate Drizzt; hate the Fanboys!

I'll happily continue to scorn Drizzt for being used as a one-man-army protagonist in every dang era after every godslaying upheaval and world reboot. I'm also happy to scorn the publishing decisions that continue to milk the character at every opportunity, creating that situation. AND I'll hate the Fanboys for continuing to drive the market factors - unto the point of mucking up D&D mechanics in little ways like that.

SO. MUCH. HATE. Plenty for everyone! ;)

Marty Lund

Remove ads