• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scion of Arkhosia and Dragon Breath feats

Klaus

First Post
The question is, what do you intend to achieve by flying? The image I had in mind when creating these feats was Disney's Gargoyles, leaping and gliding and stuff. I don't see the dragonborn fluttering about during battle.

There's at least two other feats that I created that grant some flying: Winged Slash is another power-swap feat, which lets you fly up to twice your speed and make an attack at any point during the flight (requires a two-handed sword or axe); Mighty Dragon Wings is an epic-tier power-swap feat that grants an overland speed once per day that lasts for 4 hours or until the PC lands for 5 minutes (and the PC is weakened during the flight and until he takes an extended rest).

So you can say this is more about the fluff guiding the mechanics.

doggywoggy

First Post
Actual

flying with hovering and actions mid-air is what I'm hoping to achieve by Epic. I kind of DO like the hopping gargoyle + knockdown flavour of the early levels when your wings are fresh out of the cocoon and still weak. But by Epic I expect them to grow strong to do some serious fighting in the air. If 4e powers aren't well balanced for that, well, so what? Why not balance them. A clever DM should have no trouble having a few archers in every battle, some flying creatures to keep him busy, and some traps and special vulnerabilities (thinking of the sort : net + falling damage).

If I can't hit with a ranged attack more than 5-10 squares (hand ax or dragon breath), then they can certainly hit me within that range too. Although, I hope to have combat advantage when aiming from above. Let's say you fire arrows down from a rooftop, do you get CA? Same thing here. I'm actually fine with the overland flight thing too, come to think of it, so long as there is an Epic path that continues the Scion of Arkhosia line of thinking. Being able to fly over large bodies of lava and carry over a line for your friends to scurry across is a very huge non-combat advantage, for a party with no Wizard. I'm thinking of all the tons of non-combat things I would do with this, and maybe combine it with some feather fall items to reduce falling damage if I ever get knocked out of the sky some how. I just love the kocking enemies prone on a charge bit, though.

Too bad wizards didn't think of that. I have a hard time convincing my DM to let in much that's not in a core rulebook and sufficiently non-uber. Thing is, I was kind of set on taking ranger paragon multiclass (for twin war axe action), and I'm really not sure if this is a worthwhile tradeoff. Especially with new items, feats, classes coming out, etc.

I currently have Hurl Breath from the Dragon magazine, and I love it. Taking this PP would allow me to drop that feat and take something else (probably Empowered Breath). Although it vexes me to think the d10s wouldn't affect the lvl 11 power of this class, or that Enlarged Breath wouldn't increase it from burst 2 to 3. It's just so frustratingly silly wrestling with these rules that don't synergize with each other. (on purpose, it seems). I really liked the Arcana Unearthed way of doing racial levels (say, going from pixy to sprite, or going Large when playing a Giant). These things are spectacular and fun. Spending a year of solid playing time in real life and then getting "fully-formed" wings that don't really work is quite a frustrating prospect indeed. Why can't you hover in air as a move action and take an attack? It makes no sense.

I like your clumsy flight idea where you take negatives and have to move at least two squares, but at least you can do other stuff. I mean, does overland flight mean you can't even unsheathe your weapon while descending on your foes or down a healing potion? (it's free actions only) I mean, how lame is that? People in the real world can jump out of airplanes and do backflips with surfboards (repeatedly). Dragonborn with wings should be able to do that too, with sufficient years of practice and strengthening. (IMO)

Klaus

First Post
While I never got that far into the design, I could see an Epic-tier feat (or maybe an Epic Destiny?) that allowed for a more extensive flight. Probably an Epic Destiny, since it's something that seems much more specialized.

As for Overland flight, if the character takes any other action, he falls (i.e., descends his speed). If he doesn't reach the ground by then, he can resume his flight (or else crash). If he reaches the ground, he can even land unharmed.

doggywoggy

First Post
I have a follow up rules question for the board :

How would feather fall modify Overland Flight?

Let's say I have feather fall effect (some magic boots or something that bestows that), on a regular non-flying character...can I walk off the ledge and slowly drift down, firing arrows at stuff while descending? If that's the case, the Overland Flight thing could easily allow the use of your standards + minors in the same round as flying, so long as you stop to hover, do your action as you begin falling from the distraction due to not focusing on your wings (this really, should go away or just make it clumsy). At least allow a darn minor action while flying for f-s sake. I'm gonna ask my DM if I can at least do my dragonbreath while in the air if I take this PP.

Otherwise it's just too dumb+boring a path to take. I mean, you can't even unsheathe a dagger while in the air, let alone use it, otherwise you crash? How lame is *that*? Totally unheroic in the extreme. As I wrote in another thread, even a 1st level wizard in 2nd ed could accomplish more than a 16th level Scion, with a plain-old Alter Self. (grow wings and dive bomb with your long sword..if an elf. Cast spells in the air). Why is it so bad to cast spells in the air? Or a dragonborn shoot his lighting breath before swooping down into battle? What's the point?

I think there's something seriously wrong with enforcing artificial, unrealistic constraints that don't allow you to even attempt mundane things that don't require much concentration while taking a move action with a creature's natural mode of locomotion. At least make it an Athletics check to do both, and if you fail that check, then you fall.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads