• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Scoop 3.5e] Pick Pockets/Sleight of Hand in Life's Bazaar

Cassander

First Post
Looks like I missed one detail in my "detailed" analysis.

In Yuathyb's statblock, the following skill is listed:

"Pick Pockets (Sleight of Hand) +4"

I am assuming this is a double listing of the same skill, giving both the 3.0 name and the 3.5 name so that the adventuer makes sense to users of both versions of D&D. So it seems that Pick Pockets will now be known as Sleight of Hand, just like in all the other d20 games.

I know Sleight of Hand fits the skill slightly better, but Pick Pockets seems so D&Dish... ah well.

theoremtank

First Post
While I applaud the effort to further generalize skill names and feats, I believe there is alread an accurate skill reflecting "sleight of hand," its called "bluff." "Pickpocketing" is a more specific name for it appropriately fits and important and common game mechanic.

Terraism

Explorer
theoremtank said:
While I applaud the effort to further generalize skill names and feats, I believe there is alread an accurate skill reflecting "sleight of hand," its called "bluff." "Pickpocketing" is a more specific name for it appropriately fits and important and common game mechanic.
I'm going to argue with you here - notice that "Bluff" is a charisma based skill. By and large, it has to do with making someone believe something via conversation, whereas "Pick Pockets" is a physical skill. That said, I'll miss the name.

Olive

Explorer
theoremtank said:

where ion earth did you get this idea? you use pick pocket for sleight of hand tricks according to T&B and for conceling weapons in S&S...

Remove ads