• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Scorching hot dice

wedgeski

Adventurer
If your d20 rolled 5 20s or 1s odds are it's faulty dice. Simple percentage calculation will tell you that. I don't believe ANYONE is that lucky.
Not at all. Millions of roleplayers, hundreds of millions of dice, billions of dice rolls. These insane streaks of luck (good or bad) will pop up sooner or later.

radja

First Post
current record: 5 20s in a row, followed by a 19. This was especially nice, because of a house rule (it was a 2nd edition game): crits had to be confirmed, but each 20 granted another x2 damage. 3rd lvl henchman threw a slingstone right through an ogre mage's head. Damage was multiplied by 32.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Once had a player in 1E who rolled up his character (3d6, arrange as you like) and got three 18s. Not nine 6s in a row but it was still impressive. I forget the other scores but they were all in the 10-14 range.

He went on to play a paladin . . .

Rune

Once A Fool
If your d20 rolled 5 20s or 1s odds are it's faulty dice. Simple percentage calculation will tell you that. I don't believe ANYONE is that lucky.

By that logic, nobody would ever win the lottery. But somebody does, because somebody IS that lucky.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Had a 3.x story: Character attacks twice, two nat 20s which means threaten and need to confirm by rolling to hit again. Rolls to confirm: another pair of nat 20s.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
In an original Hackmaster campaign, I missed one session. The other players decided that for that session my cleric would be the scout and the fighter and ranger would only fight from the rear with bows and arrows. So my cleric died. My next character was a half-orc barbarian.

In Hackmaster, the duration of a barbarian's rage was based off of how many hit points of damage he had to do. I rolled three or four natural 20's in a row and ended up killing over 80 kobolds. Technically, I think my character had to do over 2000 hp of damage before his rage would end. The other PC's ran, as a raging barbarian always attacked whomever was closest--and I had nearly killed one PC before wading into the kobold scrum.

After that, my character had to rage quietly for an hour or two, game-time, before his rage subsided. Then the other PC's unlocked the door and helped me loot the kobold bodies.

EvanNave55

Explorer
Not as extreme aw some peoples stories but 7-8 years ago I was playing a 3.0 game in which grits were rolled to confirm and additive not multiplicative (crit means double damage, double crit means triple damage, etc.) I was playing a sorcerer somewhere between 5-7th level. I hit a creature with a morningstar in melee, rolled a 20 (chance for crit), rolled again- 20, rolled to confirm double crit- another 20, rolled to confirm triple crit- 20 again! Finally on the next roll I failed to hit. Anyway I'm this med-low level SORCERER and with a morning star I did some 70 or more damage instantly killing this creature I attacked. It was amazing, never saw anything like that since.

Remove ads