Scotley's 4e Swashbuckler

Scotley

Hero
OOC: Time to move on.

Manous moves forward and gets ready to engage a grubby Goblin foe. One obliges him by charging and taking an unsuccessful swing at the bold Paladin.

Tabitha glides forward and slashes the belly of a Goblin open dropping him. Another advances on her, but she gracefully dodges his clumsy attack.

Ali steps around the tree and hurls his sword into the shoulder of the Goblin ahead of him. The blade leaves a bloody wound and returns to his hand. The Goblin charges forward in spite of his wound and bashes him with a morning star (7 damage).

One more Goblin appears from the shadows and hurls a javelin that fly close to both Lucien and William, but misses them both. He fellow takes cover behind a tree.

OOC: All may act.

Attachments

• Visitors r3.jpg
    Visitors r3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 114

Leif

Adventurer
Manous Artouch, human protecting paladin 4

Manous shifts twice to O,8 by way of N, 7, placing himself where he can both reach and be reached by both goblins G5 and G6, but he circles G5 cannily, never taking his eyes off the creature, and only sparing some attention for G6 when he must. In fact, what he wants to do is attack G5 at about the midpoint of his move. If that can't be done he will wait until the end of the move to attack G5. Either way, Manous uses his Righteous Smite Encounter power, Cha vs. AC, and he will use both hands to wield his magical frost warhammer. Additionally, as a free action, Manous will use the power of his warhammer to inflict an extra 1d8 of cold damage to the foe, and change all damage inflicted by Manous this round to cold damage.

1d20+8=26, 1d10+6=7
extra cold damage inflicted by Manous's magical warhammer (1d8=2)
OOC: Meh, just 7+2 = 9 hp of cold damage, but it's better than nothing.

OOC: Due to Manous's Righteous Smite Power, all of his allies within 5 squares [Tabitha, Lucien, Malkyr, Ali and Manous] gain 9 temporary hit points: You're welcome!

[sblock=Manous's sheet]
Manous Artouche, Human (Protecting) Paladin 4, 25 pt. build

Action points: 0

Str 16 +3
Dex 13 +1
Con 13 +1
Int 08 -2
Wis 14 +2
Cha 19 +4

Speed: 5

HP=46-37=9+11=20+11+11=42 + 18 Temp hp
Healing Surges per day: 12 (-5 used today)(-1 more, Lucien)
Healing Surge Value: 11

Defenses
AC 23
Fort 16
Ref 16 [10+1/2L+1dex bonus+2shield bonus+1Paladin bonus]
Will 17

Feats:
Alertness [Manous does not grant CA when surprised, and he receives +2 Perception]
Action Surge [Human bonus feat, +3 to attacks when Manous spends an AP]
Devoted Paladin [+1 healing surge, add cha bonus (+4) to lay on hands]
Virtuous Recovery [Gain resist all when spend a healing surge]

Skills
Perception [+2(half level)+1(wis)+5(trained)+2(feat)=+10]
Diplomacy [+2(half level)+4(cha)+5(trained)=+11]
Acrobatics [+2(half level)+1(dex)+0(untrained)=+3]
Athletics [+2(half level)+3(str)+0(untrained)=+5]
Bluff [+2(half level)+4(cha)+0(untrained)=+6]
Endurance [+2(half level)+1(con)+0(untrained)=+3]
Heal [+2(half level)+2(wis)+0(untrained)=+4]
Stealth [+2(half level)+1(dex)+0(untrained)=+3]
Streetwise [+2(half level)+4(cha)+0(untrained)=+6]

Paladin Class Features:
Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle - Encounter [add M's Cha bonus (+4) to an ally's Saving Throw]
Channel Divinity: Divine Strength - Encounter [add M's Str bonus (+3) as extra dam on next att. this turn]
Divine Challenge - At-Will [mark 1 target w/in burst 5]
Lay on Hands - At-Will special - use # of times equal to Wis mod. = 2 [spend healing surge, for ally to heal ally's own surge value hp]

At-Will Powers:
Bolstering Strike [Cha vs. AC] 1[W]+ cha mod and I gain +2 temp hp
Enfeebling Strike [Cha vs. AC] 1[W]+cha mod and if target is marked it takes -2 to att untl ENT
Ardent Strike [Cha vs. AC] [A target hit w/ this power is subject to Manous's Divine Sanction untl ENT,
which means that the target takes 3+4 radiant damage in each round that it makes an attack that
does not include Manous as a target.]

Encounter Powers:

*Heroic Effort [Human Racial Power]
Personal - No Action
Trigger - Manous misses an attack or fails a saving throw
Effect - Manous gains a +4 racial bonus to the attack or saving throw

Shielding Smite [cha vs. AC] [dam = 2[W]+cha mod and one ally w/in 5 gains +2AC untl ENT]
Righteous Smite [cha vs. AC, hit: 2[W]+cha mod plus Manous and all allies w/in 5 squares gain 9 temp hp]

Daily Power:
*Radiant Delirium [3d8+4 + dazed untl ENT and -2 AC save ends][Miss-half dam+target dazed untl ENT]

Utility Power:
Bless Weapon [minor action: until the end of the encounter,
the weapon blessed gains +1 on attack rolls, inflicts +1d6 radiant damage,
and crits on 18-20]

Equipment/Magic
+1 Black Iron Plate Armor [L4] (+9 AC) [50gp+840gp] Property-Resist 5 fire/Resist 5 necrotic
Heavy Shield (+2 AC) [10gp]
+1 Frost War Hammer [L3] (1d10+1 dam., crit +1d6 dam, +2 att, versatile) Power: at-will, free action
change all dam inflicted by this weapon to cold dam. Power: daily, free action inflict an
extra +1d8 cold dam. and target is slowed until the end of my next turn.
Longsword (1d8 dam., +3 att., versatile) [15gp]
Longbow (1d10 dam., +2 att., range 20/40)[30gp]
Arrows [1gp] [29 arrows remaining]
+1 Holy Symbol of Battle [1,000gp] [L5] +1 att/dam., crit +1d8, Power (free) +1d10 damage when hit
Standard Aventurer's Kit [15gp]
Journeybread [50gp]

[sblock=Background]
Manous is a "Barbarian Indian" type who was born in the recently discovered "America," but was brought back to "France" as a very small boy (about 12/13?) by a sea captain as an oddity to be widely displayed and poked and prodded by various folks. Then said waif was seen by a Duchess and her heart went out to the poor lad, so she adopted him and had him trained/schooled by the best Masters in the land, and given very much religious instruction in the 'accepted' faith. Ultimately, young Manous became a Paladin, but he still looks very unusual, having been copiously tattooed by his people and subjected to the body modifications of his tribe. I'm thinking Manous's entire body is tattooed with geometric patterns and star charts, his earlobes have been greatly pierced with objects of ever-increasing size during his early childhood, so he has great flapping "rings" of flesh hanging from his ears. Manous Artouche also has a row of "earrings" around his navel (navel rings?) (but he keeps that covered most of the time), and he also has a "bone in his nose." (Not a real bone, but a ring of brass much like a bull.)

So Manous looks like a total freak, except when he is shrouded in his Paladin's armor, at which time he is indistinguishable from any other knight of the realm, but he is always unswervingly loyal to his benefactor the Duchess, and he is as faithful to his new religion as anyone in "France." Now, the Duchess is on the outs with the mainstream of nobility in "France" because she resisted the amorous intentions of the Prince, and he ruined her socially once he got over
the rejection. She may have even been exiled to "Scotland" or wherever, but Manous Artouche was undergoing his tutelage at that time and had to stay behind in "France" with the Duchess's cousin, Grand Duke Siegfried von Koln, who was (as it happens) the boy's Paladin Instructor. Now Siegfried, once Manous was fully trained and set out on the proper path of Paladinhood, fell
victim to temptations of the flesh possibly brought about by arcane mind control, and he wound up as an Anti-Paladin. [Built-in future BBEG!] His fall from Paladinhood finished off the Duchess's family's fall from grace and they are all wanted/hunted/shot on sight, and their vast holdings have mostly been confiscated by the throne. Manous Artouche does, arguably, still have a valid, legal claim to at least a portion of the Duchess's family holdings, since he was
legally adopted by the Duchess before her downfall.
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
OOC: Mr DM, does Manous gain the temp hp, too? I was thinking 'no,' but thought I'd ask anyway.

OOC: My reading is that Manuous gets the hp too. It clearly says 'you and each ally'. My admittedly inexpert understanding is that you must attack before or after the move.

[sblock=Power description]
Righteous Smite Paladin Attack 3
Your righteous blow fills you and your nearby allies with preternatural
resolve.
Encounter ✦ Divine, Healing, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and you and each
ally within 5 squares of you gain temporary hit points
equal to 5 + your Wisdom modifier.[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - sorry for my tardiness on this...took me forever to get back in the groove, find my stuff...etc etc. Tabitha was the first Thief I made in 4e, and wow...I've learned a lot about how to make thieves since then. Hee hee! Retraining next level! Anyway...)

Her back to the tree, surrounded by dead goblins, Tabitha is in her element. She feints at her little foe, knocking its weapon aside with her dagger and following up with a thrust at its heart!

(Just a normal melee basic with some flavor :))

[roll0] vs AC for [roll1] damage.

Lou

Explorer
Ali HP 40/47 (+9 temp HP)

Ali marks G5 with his aegis and uses his Sword Burst (at will) ability to attack both G5 and G6.

OOC: +8 v REF, damage is 1d6+6 on hit

OOC: I don't see where Manous used his Righteous Challenge on G5...

[sblock=Statblock]
Alejandro Arroyo Shielding Swordmage 4
Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 17
AC:23, Fort:16, Ref:19, Will:16 -- Speed:6
HP: 47/47 (+0 temp hp), Bloodied: 23, Surge Value: 11 with 10/10 remaining (currently with 0 temp hp)
Initiative +6
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Swordmage Abilites: Swordbond (summon bonded magic sword up to 1 mile), Aegis of Shielding (AW-minor cb2 MARK, atk on others if hit, reduce damage by 7 as imm int); (Improved) Swordmage Warding (+2 AC if holding sword, +4 if off hand empty)
Powers:
At-Will: Luring Strike (W) +11 v AC 1d8+1 crit +1d6, Lightning Lure (I) r3 +8 v Fort 1d6+6 crit +1d8, Sword Burst (I) cb1 all +8 v Ref 1d6+6 crit +1d8 Basic Melee LS +11 v AC 1d8+8 crit +1d6, Heavy Thrown LS +8 v AC 1d8+3 crit +1d6, Basic Ranged Crossbow +6 v AC 1d8+2
Encounter: Sword of Sigils (W) std, cb1, enemies in burst, +11 v AC hit: 1d8+6 crit +1d6, target is marked UEYNT, 5 damage if atk not incl you; Aegis of Shielding-marked target hits creature in 10 not incl you, Immed int, reduce one damage by 2. Dimensional Vortex (I) imm int when enemy hit ally with melee atk, r10 +8 v Will 1d8+6, teleport target 5 squares, target atks a creature of my choice if available, when used w aegis of shielding mark, atk adds 2 to dam
Daily: Vanishing Blade (W) std, one, +11 v AC, 2d8+6 crit +1d6 MISS: half damage; effect: teleport 5 and invisible EOYNT; for rest of encounter, on basic melee hit, teleport 3 as free action
Utility: Dimensional Warp (Encounter) minor, cb3 (you and ally or two allies change places)

Str. 14, Dex. 14, Con. 14, Int. 20, Wis. 10, Cha. 8

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?301242-RG-Scotley-s-Alt-Earth-Swashbuckler#ixzz32IDbwZRQ
[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
OOC: Waiting on [MENTION=51567]Lou[/MENTION] and [MENTION=29098]Rhun[/MENTION]

Guys, I think I should probably withdraw from this game...4E just isn't doing it for me, and I hate holding the game up while I try to figure out what my character can/should do.

Leif

Adventurer
Sorry you feel that way, Rhun, but I get it. *Sigh* Sadly, I'm still trying to get my money's worth out of the moderately enormous pile of 4E books that I bought before the ink was even dry with the open-walletted naiivete of a kid in late November with a spanking new Sears Wish Book.

But, of course, at that time, they were telling us that 3.5E was going the way of the T-Rex, and Pathfinder was not even a twinkle in Jason Buhlman's eye yet.

Scotley

Hero
Guys, I think I should probably withdraw from this game...4E just isn't doing it for me, and I hate holding the game up while I try to figure out what my character can/should do.

OOC: Yeah, I know where you are coming from. There are some really cool things about 4e, but in total, I don't find it superior to previous editions. I'm cautiously optimistic about 5e, but I'm not going get in any hurry to be an early adopter this time out. I'm still enjoying 3.5 and Pathfinder much more than 4e myself.

Remove ads